Migrating to Australia - resources and information

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by lahari, Nov 26, 2006.

Best gift for a new born and new mom

Poll closed Nov 19, 2010.
  1. Gift vouchers

66.7%
  2. Nappies for babies, flowers for mom

4.2%
  3. Clothing for new born, Bio-oil for stretch marks for mom

8.3%
  4. Baby name personalised photo frams, fleece, jacket

12.5%
  5. Pampering and Spa Gift vouchers for new mom to relax

8.3%
  6. Anything else please send on reply post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sricharani

sricharani Senior IL'ite

Is it a good idea to move to Australia without a job.

Hi, Me and my husband hold a PR for Australia. But currently we live in UK and my DH works here. We want to migrate to Australia, but currently there is no job available in Australia for both of us. Is it a good idea to come over there and look out for jobs. Would we get some benefits meanwhile when we are without jobs ( We have a 15 month old kid).
    Just need your advice on the job opportunities there, and is it a good time to move over.

2. lallu82

lallu82 New IL'ite

Re: Finding jobs in Australia while staying in India

hi all,:):)
    happy new year. have a great year ahead

this is lalithasri. i too got my prin the month of sept. have to enter australia before may 12th. i have done my finance and thinking of trying jobs on the line of accounting. can u guys pls help me by providing some informations. is it necessary to hold some computer course certificate for an accounting job? if so what do they expect? which accounts profile has got more value there? should k do some course before coming there?

pls do reply. waiting for ur replies.

3. sricharani

sricharani Senior IL'ite

Software testing job ppportunity in australia

Hello ladies: I have worked on Software testing for 7 years and am planning to migrate to Australia. Is there any certification on testing that would add value to look out for jobs there. How is the job market in this specific field over there. Your inputs would be of great help to me in deciding on moving over to Aus soon.
    Thanks

4. Muskaan7

Muskaan7 Senior IL'ite

Re: Is it a good idea to move to Australia without a job.

Hi,

You would have to come to Australia and then search for jobs. It is very difficult to try for jobs outside Australia as they dont look at any applications in which applicants are not physically present here. Since you have your PR, you might be eligible for some benefits (not very sure on this) for the period that you both are without any jobs. It would be a good idea to speak or email someone at Centrelink to find out more about that.

5. Vidya1965

Vidya1965 New IL'ite

Carrying funds just enough to survive for 3 months without job. What happens if?

We are from India reaching Adelaide on 26th Jan 2010 on a Skilled-Regional sponsored visa Class VF subclass 475 (which is temporary). We are carrying just about enough money for 3 months’ survival without a job. As we do not have any friends or relatives there, we are quite anxious about what would happen if we run out of our reserves and still not find a job? I am a clinical psychologist (lecturer/counsellor) with vast experience (18 years) and also train and conduct workshops and my husband is an editor in medical transcription. We are willing to take up any odd/small jobs (no qualms about any type) to earn our keep till we find pukka jobs relevant to our profession and experience. Can we get small jobs soon after we reach there, say about a week or two? In which case we can breathe easy as we will work hard for our board and lodge and not dip into our resources and find ourselves penniless and without a job?

6. Vidya1965

Vidya1965 New IL'ite

A new immigrant's apprehensions!!

Hi everyone: I’m Vidya Ravi Kumar from Mumbai. Feel awful that I missed this forum till now when I’m just a week away from reaching <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Adelaide</st1:place></st1:City>, I could have got answers to all the queries I agonized over and learnt so much from this great forum; which encompasses all one needs to know when migrating to a foreign land without friends or relatives. It’s a daunting prospect and I got so much succor from going thru the posts and finding that so many others faced almost exactly the same problems and its so comforting to know that invariably, tho everyone struggled initially, they came around them smelling of roses and are now loving it in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region> and with no regrets whatsoever. This has buoyed my spirits so much that now though still a bit nervous, am really raring to go and am sure I too will come out unscathed and help new immigrants make a smooth transition and realize their dreams of a happy and peaceful life here in this lovely country!

About me: I’m a clinical psychologist (lecturer and counsellor) and my husband is a quality analyst in medical transcription. We (my husband, 10-yr-old son, Amritkrishna, and I) were eligible, but missed out on “On Arrival Public Accommodation” because of high demand. So now we have to stay in some short-term rentals which are very expensive and charge on a per-night basis (AUD 150 upwards per night). How long do you think it would take us to find a reasonably priced small unit/1-bedroom flat (say at about AUD 150/- per week)? We had applied to rental ads in Gumtree/Easyroommate/RealEstate.com etc but drew a blank. We did get responses in Easyroommates for shared accommodation, but are apprehensive as to how sharing kitchens/bathrooms etc with vast differences in culture and habits would work out, not to mention having a child (our son aged 10 years)? We are reaching <st1:City><st1:place>Adelaide</st1:place></st1:City> on <st1:date Month="1" Day="26" Year="2010">26th Jan 2010</st1:date> on an Skilled Regional Sponsored VF 475 (temporary family visa). Please advise. If anyone over here (<st1:City><st1:place>Adelaide</st1:place></st1:City>) could find a small place (price mentioned above) through their network/friends, it would help relieve a great burden off our minds and we’d be eternally grateful for that. Please help.

7. Viki

Viki New IL'ite

Re: A new immigrant's apprehensions!!

Hi Vidya,

This is Viki am a new immigrant would be moving to Perth shortly.
    Your apprehensions are quite natural when you move to new place.
    Finding a new acco in place that you hardly know and the same time you can blow up cash . Try out these sites craigslist or gum tree Australia. They have listed accommodations to different budgets

Good Luck

8. Viki

Viki New IL'ite

Job Prospects for Accountants any idea

Hello

I am an accountant ) Australain qualified. Can some one tell me how the job market for accounting professionals :idea

Thanks for your help

Regards
    Viki

9. lallu82

lallu82 New IL'ite

job that you can expect in australia at the beginning

Hi ILs:)

I'll be migrating to oz on the end of April. I'm an accounts professional. i heard that it takes more than 3 months to find a job in Australia. i like to know whether this 3 months time period is to find a job on your line or even to find a causal or part time job it will take 3months time?

what kind of part time or causal job can you get ? will it be paid well?

waiting for your reply ladies.:help

:thankyou2:

10. npri

npri Bronze IL'ite

Re: job that you can expect in australia at the beginning

It took nearly 4 months for me to get a job in IT. When you apply for job here irrespective of any (Part Time / Full time / Casual ) they would ask for Australian experience. The time span in general that i have seen for some of them , takes from 3 to 9 months (Info is not to scare really).

With some reference you can manage to get some part time job within 3 months... Pay would be pretty decent for you to manage here..

Good luck for you. Hope you get one soon when you come here..

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010