1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Middle School Education In The Us

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by BhumiBabe, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09 in india maths and rd sharma (author) are inseperable. You solve the problems in his books then you are good.both mine have been doing them from their class 5. It was never part of the text book prescribed by ncert.

Apart from that my young man loves to solve from the russian books. He feels irodov and physics go hand in hand while preparing at hs. ( he got hooked when a guest teacher talked about them)

You can look up maths here
    Maths | Search Results | Mir Books

And also pick up worksheets from singapore maths and competitive imo worksheets.

I know when it comes to maths i don't need to tell you anything.

A bad teacher is all it takes to break your kids problem solving confidence..and interest in a subject like maths :sleepy:.

2. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

Thank you @Laks09 , this is very helpful. DS will go to 6th grade this Fall and we are in TX. Do you have any specific recommendation for a math textbook for this grade level and also one that might help through his middle school years?
    In elementary school, they followed the Go Math book. I bought the Standard Practice edition online and followed the curriculum that teacher taught and kept all of his worksheets. This way I could go back and revise or brush up topics that he struggled and needed help with.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@silento - My memory isn't all that great but bits and pieces was the name of the work book kids used. The textbook was connected math(Pearson Pertinence Hall). I usually check the index and find other similar text books so I had something different on hand. They also had their textbooks online. Do look into this url. It's the connected math website that some districts use.
    We had an amazing teacher 6/7 grades so teaching was only sporadic. Just to make sure she got the concepts and not just the application. I hope your middle
    school teachers are good. They can make or break interest.

silento likes this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Khan academy is a very useful resource for middle schoolers now.
    Once ur child is comfortable with the basics ...explore coursera and artofproblemsolving.com

Srama, Laks09 and silento like this.
  5. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

6. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

Thank you and I see that the RussianSchool is available in our area too. I have read some good reviews about this system. My son will go to Middle School this Fall.
    Let's say he goes to the summer camp option provided by the Russian School, then

1) Is it going to supplement what they have already learnt in 5th grade?
    2) How will this help in 6th grade Math?
    3) Do they have cirriculum that will help prepare for Math competitions?

Any other feedback?

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Regarding RSM it supplements whatever kids learn at school. Varies from center to center but in general they have an evaluation test and based on kids performance they are usually placed either at grade or below grade level. Even when in below grade level depth of coverage is more and so syllabus will definitely be ahead than what they learn in school. Usually kids get enrolled at elementary level to get a good grasp of the concepts. Their kids do participate in Mathcounts and few well performing kids are selected and coached for competitions. Summer classes helps to get a jump start ahead both at school and at RSM if they plan to continue in the next academic year. Only thing I would look is go for centers where well qualified teachers (mostly Russian) have long teaching experience. Schedule an in-person visit and ask what will be covered and how it supplements your school system (as it varies from state to state). Hope this helps.

silento likes this.
  8. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

Thanks, this is very helpful @jskls.
    Saw that there is one thread on RSM, very informational. So linking it here for further reference.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    jskls likes this.
  9. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

Here is a compiled list of the various links provided all in one place. Thank you all, for contributing:

English Language Arts

-------------------------------

Math:

------------
    Talent Search Programs

-------------------------------
    Parent Forums

· Well-Trained Mind Community

Volunteering:

· Volunteer Match

shvap_786, Srama, jskls and 1 other person like this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@silento thanks for consolidating and sharing

silento likes this.