1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Microwave!! Is it useful in vegetarian COOKING??

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by boons, Mar 28, 2012.

1. boons

boons Bronze IL'ite

Hi

I have bought a Samsung MW last May. It has Grill & MW functions.

After buying only i knew that we need to buy glass ware for cooking, crusty plate for roasting, etc.
    MW technician advised me not to use TUpperware or any MW safe plastic since it will cause cancer.

I attended the classes they conduct. i tried the cake, potato wedges, avial.

Since my kitchen is small, i m not at all using mw. i rarely use it to make bread sandwich or to reheat the fridge items.
    What all can be made??

I am a vegetarian and kindly help to prepare vegetarian items, time required, how much water we can use for each item, whether we can boil milk and how long it will take, etc etc tips.

2. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to teh world of microwave cooking....

There are a lot of things one can do other than heating/ reheating etc

You can easily make dry vegs like aloo, Bhindi, cauliflower etc..and can also use MW to cook Dals, rice, idlis etc...The options are quite a lot..

Not aware of MW plastic containers being cancerous as I though that they are made of food grade plastic ?? maybe someone in this forum can guide us...

You can begin by using the cook book that must have come with your MW. Alternatively google for easy Vege MW dishes. there was also a dedicated TV program by LG on MW cooking for traditional dishes. You can check youtube for the older videos.

Brands like Borosil are available easily in market for MW cookware....

Though I am not sure if cooking in glass containers w/out glass lids is the right way....

my old MW has gone for a toss...and looking to replace it soon. Do let me know how do you find your current brand...

3. meenakshiraju

meenakshiraju Silver IL'ite

Hi,

You can get '100 south indian Microwave Recipes (Vegetarian) ' by Ms. Mallika Badrinath . I have found it very helpful.

Meenakshi.

4. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

You get Borosil products with lid coz sometime you may need to cook food with lid.You better get a cookbook and start experimenting,gradually you will find that it is a good helping hand in kitchen.I too have a samsung MW and using it since last 5 yrs and believe me no complaints.

happy cooking!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Tarla Dalal also has microwave cookbooks...helpful. Sabuda kichadi is much easier in the microwave. Popcorn is excellent from mw. In USA we eat baked potatoes and they are good cooked in the microwave. You wash the skin well and just put it in the microwave and heat it for about six minutes... cook half the time, flip the potato and then cook the rest of the time. Pierce it with a fork before you start and then test to see if it is done at the end...if not give it abother minute or two. Serve this potato hot cut in half and mash the center with a fork (you can eat the skin if you wash and trim it properly...high in vitamins) and top it was some spicy beans and maybe some cheese melted. Yum.

6. boons

boons Bronze IL'ite

HI SSM/MEENAKSHI/ SHRUTHI,

Thanks for the replies.

I have the cook books. i have th borosil glass containers with lid also. i think, i just dont have patience to wait and stir every time since i am a working person. instead of stirring waiting, and referreing to books, i think i am opting the easy way of gas stove. but i am desperate to use the MW by a daily basis.

Also about the plastic: whether it be a food grade or etc, THE TECH FROM SAMSUNG ADVICED ME TO NOT USE. SO I FOLLOW. MOREOVER, THE TUPPERWARE CUPS ARE GETTING something like BLISTERS ON THE CONTAINERS. SINCE IT IS COSTLY ALSO, I JUST DONT WANNA WASTE AS I AM HAVING CRUSTY PLATE FOR ROASTING, BOROSIL GLASS BOWL FOR BOILING.

I just dont understand the procedures like how much water/oil to add and also whether we can boil milk in this and also like whether we can close the lid of the glass etc. I HAVE SO MUCH DOUBTS.

IN MALLIKA BADRINATH BOOKS, SHE HAS GIVEN THE INGREDIANTS. mETHOD IS NOT EXPLAINED EXACTLY AND I THINK SHE ASSUMES THAT THE PERSON IS AN EXPERT. BUT SINCE I AM A NEW USER, THAT BOOK IS NOT ADAPTABLE THAT MUCH. I HAVE MOST OF THE VEGRECIPES WITH ME FROM THE NET.

THE ONE I BOUGHT IS GOOD. IT CAME TO 5,500 SOMTHING.

IF U GO FOR CONVENTION MAKE, I THINK THEY ARE GIVING THE CRUSTY PLATES ETC AND OTHER ACCESSORIES. FOR THIS MODEL I GOT ONLY A PLASTIC COOKER LIKE ONE AND A LITTLE SMALLER BOWL FOR HEATING.

ALSO, CHECK WITH LG BRAND. THEY ARE GIVING MORE ACCESSORIES. MANY PEOPLE ARE TAKING LG BRAND.

REG,

B

7. boons

boons Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

that sounds yummy. let me try this weekend and see. ll post the comments here.

if anyone can post recipes like this with procedures, i think people like me ll get the interest to use MW.

As for this sabudana kichdi, do we soak the sabudhana for some 3 hrs??

Thanks once more.

B

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Look on Youtube for the sabudana khichadi procedure....it's easy. I am not a good resource about soaking as I seem to get it wrong with the stuff I buy from the Indian store and only success with #40 pearl tapioca that I buy from the bulk stores here. (It is my understanding that these are similar but not the same product.)

9. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

You can use Tupperware Multicook for steaming veggies, making idli's, sweets, cooking rice for pulao, daletc. Multi cook is microwave compatible. But keep in mind you must allow sufficient cooling time in between cooking while using plastic containers. Never cook any item in a stretch say 10-15mins continously while using plastic containers.

10. VIDHYAPRASAD

VIDHYAPRASAD Senior IL'ite