1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Microwave / Convection - What to buy

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by shubag, Dec 29, 2009.

1. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

I wish to buy a microwave for cooking vegetables, boiling milk, thawing frozen foods etc and also bake cakes and biscuits..

Witsend:bang WitsendI'm in a dilemma whether I should buy two different equipements viz normal microwave without baking features, and also buy a separate convection oven for just baking cakes and biscuits. This way the problems associated with Convection Microwave Oven (CMO) will be mitigated becoz many people have complained problems in this type of CMO.

Dear friends please help me in buying the right one...Go for two appliances viz..normal microwave and convection oven....OR just buy a single appliance i.e. convection Microwave Oven.

Shuba

2. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Shubag,

I would like to mention that I have IFB Microwave with Convection & Grill. Though we dont use Grill that much I have been using Convection very well for Baking Cakes & Biscuits. The only point is that u may need to turn the cookies once & cook again in a CMO for most of the recipes while it may not be necessary with a Convectional oven.

Let me know the size of ur family? If its a large family & u would like to bake in large quantities, then u may plz think of buying Convection oven separately as u can bake cookies in bulk (since there are shelfs) and blindly follow the timings provided in the recipes. But while baking in CMO, u need to slightly change the timings(usually time is little more) according to ur oven(which u will learn in due course as u use it). I have my own timings to bake a cake in my oven.

Provided think if u have enough space in ur kitchen to accommodate 2 different Electric Appliances as care has to be taken while placing them as well as handling them. Also think of the budget if u can spend for 2 items.

With regard to CMO, what I learnt that if I kept the oven really clean, the convection mode worked well :rotfl

Hope this helps also the other replies that u r about to get from others. Do let us know what u finally planned?

3. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Thanks custard for your elaborate reply..However can you throw some light on this, which I came across thru browsing:

In the microwave-cum-convection ovens, you get everything neatly packaged into one. The negative features are, the micro-wave cavity is large for which a higher power magnetron would be used thus consuming higher electricity costs for daytoday use. Even if a small part goes out of order, both convection and micro-wave models would not work and the repair costs are relatively higher compared to the solo models of OTG and Microwave. :bonk
    PS - BTW we are a small family of three...I plan to bake monthly once or twice only...

4. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello again

Regarding Power Consumption between the two - I'm sorry I have no idea.
    I would also want to mention that - U plz check if u have good service in ur area for the product that u want to buy, as CMO needs service sometime or the other.

I have had problems separately - when the convection mode alone did not bake properly (when a belt inside was burnt/torn) and once the microwave button was little loose.

I think to bake twice in a month for 3 people, the Convection mode in a Microwave will do. Just think about it. :thumbsup

5. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

6. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much dear for giving me your feedback...Shall also look into the link to clear my doubts...