1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Certification ! Need Help !

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by shivaVP, May 18, 2010.

1. shivaVP

shivaVP New IL'ite

Hi

Is there anyone who is planning to give or have already given Microsoft Certification Exams ?

Pls I need help, I am planning for 70-562, have the book, but still want a proper plan to study.

Help Pls . :drowning

2. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Hi Shiva,
    70-562 sounds good. What sort of help do you want.
    How about studying for the exam together? Have you already registered?

3. shivaVP

shivaVP New IL'ite

hi sofiz,

I am so happy to get this reply from u, since I was expecting it that quick.

Anyways, no I haven't registered for the exam, because I am really not sure so as to how much time will I take to prepare myself, Besides I am not a Software Professional, I am a student in IT, never worked in IT also.

I was doing Software Engineering course (certificate course) from NIIT, India, but my two exams are left, since I am in US, i was planning to appear for MCTS.

Well, it will be a great idea to study together, if u want i can send u the prescribed book for the exam, its an e-book that I downloaded from net.

But then I don;t know how to plan for studying together.

Besides I will be very happy to study with someone who is a professional.

By the way, could u just let me know abt ur professional career, like which all fields u worked n whatever u feel like. Just for my info, nothing personal.

I am ready to study together, let me know abt ur plans.

4. shivaVP

shivaVP New IL'ite

Hi sofiz,

One more thing I forgot to mention, I will be studying in C#.

5. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Nice 2 know abt u Shiva.

Abt me.. I have been doing software development for around 5 years - includes windows formasapps, apps on hanheld devices as well as web apps. In fact, I am already Microsoft Certified (MCTS, MCPD - for Web Apps on .Net framewok 2.0) I too am using C#. I like learning and it would be good to have a study buddy. :) Have you done 70-536?

I see that the book at hand has around 16 chapters. If we do around 50 pages in a day, we could finish the book in around 20 days and so take the exam within a month. But since I am working, I think my study speed would be just around 10-15 pages a day.

It would be a lot easier if you had experience on asp.net/ Try to download the express edition available online and create some web apps on your on. You'll find good tutorials on the official asp.net site.

If you have not downloaded the sample files for the ebook, pls download them from here.

Let's agree on a fixed pace and discuss our progress on this thread. Let me know abt any more ideas on how we could study. Dont forget to mention how many pages you are thinking of doing in a day

I hope we'll keep each other motivated

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sofiz,

Could you please edit your post and link to the webpage instead of linking directly to the EXE file? Downloading an executable is always risky business!

Thanks,
    Gauri

7. shivaVP

shivaVP New IL'ite

hi Sofiz,

Good to hear that u r in software development for almost 5 yrs, and also Microsoft Certified, I am sure to get a lot of help from u.

No, I havn't done 70-536, I wanted to start with ASP first.

U r correct, if we take 50 pages a day, it will be quite fast, but although I am not working, I cannot go with that speed, I got married recently, n generally don't study on weekends, so i have got only 5 days a week.

So I think, we can take it say 25 pages a day, if that suits u otherwise, I think to go Topic wise would be more suitable, so that we will know each other's progress, and If I have any difficulty I can refer u, I hope u don;t have any problem in that.

One more thing, since u hav given Microsoft exams, what are the passing % n what is the difficulty rate for these exams?

I haven't made any applications so far but have gone through it once, so i am not totally unfamiliar with it, but will definitely try to make some app while studying. I have the ebook, n also downloaded the 'Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition'.

And of course, we have to keep each other motivated, that is what I require very badly.

Thanks n do reply.

8. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Dear Gauri (nice name),
    I got the link for downloading code file from the ebook. Being a Microsoft Press book, the link should be a reliable source. Besides, I have downloaded and installed it myself. So no worries on that.

Shiva,
    Congratulations on your marriage. I know it wont be easy to study after marriage. I have eperienced it myself. I did my post-graduation after marriage. Those three years were not easy. I hope you'll be able to concentrate. If not now, later there would be other distractions like children and work - that's what I am facing. But well, life goes on.. Once you have decidced to get certified, the sooner you do it, the better.

Microsoft has a wierd way of placing scores. I never figured it out. The 70-536 was out of 1000 and you had to get atleast 700 to pass. All the questions were multiple choice, the choice being quite similar - which means youhave to know the subject very well to get it right. I felt that the 70-536 was tougher than the ASP.NET exams I did. May-be because the syllabus was too broad. I think the 70-562 is out of 1000 too. I expect the passing score to be the same.

Having experience definitely helped and the microsoft press book did cover most of the topics. As long as we study thoroughly, the exam shouldn't be too hard

25 pages topic-wise sounds good. I might not be able to finish everyday, but hope to catch up on other days. How about starting tomorrow?

9. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

10. shivaVP

shivaVP New IL'ite

Hi Sofiz,

Starting Tommorow ! Sounds Great.

Then lets decide, we will start with the 1st chapter, 1st Lesson i.e. 'Understanding the Players', it might be very simple for u besides its only 15 pages, but lets stick to that first.

So now we will do post when we have finished that lesson i.e. 20th.

I think u r ahead of us in time, so pls adjust accordingly.

The blog did help me, Thanks.