Metformin during TTC and pregnancy

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by saran27, Mar 10, 2013.

1. saran27

saran27 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    i am TTC after a MMC, after my MMC one doctor said i have PCOS(but i always have regular periods,but have bit hair growth in my lower abdomen ,and one or 2 hairs in my chest)but in Ultrasound she said my ovaries looks like poly cyctic and put me on metformin 1gm,but my regular doctor with whom i am taking treatment from first says i don t have PCOS since i ovulate regularly,my confusion is suppose if i conceive in metformin is it safe during pregnancy,my sugar levels are always under 90,so i hope i am not insulin resistant,but now i am taking metformin 1gm during my TTC and planning to stop is once i get +ve in HPT,but i am not sure what to do,kindly guide me in this,and in online i found some information that metformin reduce miscarriage is it true?is anybody in IL similar to me,having regular periods and still on metformin and continued when u got pregg....pls help me i am really confused:rotfl

2. poojachinoy

poojachinoy Gold IL'ite

If your doctor has diagnosed you with pcos then metformin will be a drug of huge benefit for you..during ttc it will help you in ovulation by decreasing insulin resistance and androgens..you might be ovulating now..but some cycles might be anovulatory..so this will correct that problem...and the biggest boon is it is recommended to take metformin til 12th wk of pregnancy for pcos pts as it reduces the risk of miscarriage in them by the same methods as in ttc...

3. pursuehappiness

pursuehappiness Senior IL'ite

Hi Saran,

I was put on metformin recently after my miscarriage at 4 months. I have mild PCOD with regular periods and all ovulatory cycles. I was given metformin after a GTT test after 6 weeks of miscarriage . The fasting sugar was a little high at 108 as against 100. Doctor said I should continue this till delivery. Have read that it does more good than harm and Metformin helps conceive also.

Would be nice to hear from people who have been on metformin and conceived.
    FYI,My first conception was without any drugs.

BTW, what is MMC?
    God bless

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. skans

skans Silver IL'ite

I took Metformin for PCOS and continued till 12 weeks of preg. My baby is 9 months now and I had no issues during preg.