1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mere Ghar Se Nikal Jao

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Vaikuntha, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Mere ghar se nikal jao
    translates to
    Get out of my house

I wrote a reply to thread about the phrase above and realized that it can be a good read :) enjoy!

This phrase "ghar se nikal jao" / " get out of my house" should be made illegal to use. It personally hurts me to the core. I am not sure why it does.

May be because I feel I should own my house with my own money that was paid to me in return for hours I worked for someone, that went to my bank account.

Or may be because I grew up hearing it, from my father to my mother, who paid a hefty sum for dowry, who is educated, way more GK (general knowledge) than father, way better and British English, was raising two strong willed boys, who had three under six...the list goes on, she even used to get a lot of money from her parents (who are super rich) under the cover of birthday money, diwali money etc

May be because I had promised myself that nobody will be able to say that to me, because I will have my name in property papers and pay a share of mortgage.

May be because I had promised myself that if ever I was asked to leave the house, I will really walk out.

May be because I didn't go from my father's house to my husband's house. And loved the time in between living in my own home.

May be because I want "home" to be my sanctuary from world.

May be because when I close the door and arm my security system installed in my home, I want to be...home!!

I get moved to the core when someone..anyone says the phrase "get out of my house" to anyone.

Hearing it in my early years, by my father to my mother or my brother, hasn't made me inert to it, it has made extremely sensitive it.

So, to each their own!!
    How we feel about something, some remarks, is our own feeling and processing and we cannot deny it; more importantly no one else can deny/dismiss it. No one can tell us how to "feel" and if a feeling is wrong.

I am glad that in my marriage, my husband started yelling the same to me.
    That way I faced, my worst fear. I had feared if I will be able to keep my promises to myself. Fear of not knowing how will I react. It is same fear, we feel when we are never mugged at gun point, but when we read the news, for moment we think "what will we do", and glad at the same time, it has never happened to us.
    I started crying and cried a lot. Not because my husband said "the phrase" but because I was being actually mugged at gun point...and looking the guy, in the face.
    My husband actually believed that the house was his, just like my father had!!
    I cried and went back to childhood, should I walk out? Should I leave US because of racism? Should all outsiders in IT sector in Bangalore, go back to their small towns? Should I have not gone to my engineering lectures when I was only girl in class of 60 boys?
    Where all should I run from? Where all should leave from? What all can I buy with my own pay, can I buy Bangalore and Mumbai and US? So that, I can live there like I own it, like a "home"?

I event went back to Mahabharat stories, thinking about it. Why Mahabharat happened? Because of piece land to be called "home". What Lord Krishna said to Arjuna: You have to fight for right, what is rightfully yours, even with your own, this is the "right thing to do".

After enough soul-searching, I went to husband, and calmly told him (out of context) Remember the other day you were asking to leave the house, please when feel like that- you yourself pack your bags and leave, since that is rule of land. I will stay back, with kid in this house till the judge gives this house to me, since I am stay at home mom- and I have no income. I am sorry, you will have to forgo your cherished house, but you that's what you started. (My husband really cherishes the small town house we live in and doesn't even let me decorate it, he bought it before we married).

I had to repeat the above few more times and he stopped yelling at me "mere ghar se nikal jao".

To sum up:

In marriage, we keep evolving and growing. Along the way, we face our limitations, worst fears, and best moments. If we have our partner on our side, the ride can be fine! If not, we will keep learning and growing and living.

If we feel bad about something, no one, absolutely no one can tell us that we are wrong in feeling so!!!

But at the same time, it is our feeling to take care of, our past- related to it, our history, out story that makes us feel the way we do about something. If we want to deal with it, only we can do so!

We should have no qualms about fighting about something that is rightfully ours, even if we have to fight with our own.

If we do not stand up for ourselves, people won't give us one square foot to stand. This is the human nature.

BhumiBabe, Babyhope86, jssd and 19 others like this.

2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@hermitcrab, this is more than a good read. Too many women are illegally evicted from their marital homes and need to fight back.

Good for you! :thumbsup:

This is a message everyone needs to hear. A woman shouldn't have to fight for her rights. But she should be prepared to do so if necessary.

3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hermitcrab,

There are many women out there who keep silent over this issue, but for once you have come out very boldly . I appreciate the intelligent way you have dealt with this issue, not withstanding the pain a women undergoes when her self respect takes a beating. There are many unmarried women who are most unwanted by their own parents, leave alone the society. A sensitive topic well handled by you!
    Agatha83

joylokhi and NeetaR like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely agree with you. Unless we stand up for our rights and speak up, we will get nowhere. Nothing ever got given to anybody on a platter. Glad you got your husband to stop saying that.

5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

In "community property" states, it is never any one spouse's house. Indian girls who are living in Amreeka have to educate themselves about the family laws in their state.
    I have known a few cases where police had responded to "domestic disturbance" call from a neighbor ( Townhouse.... wrote the OP!), and the husband is the one who gets taken out, and asked not to come within x00 yards of that house ( in Amreeka we are still not using the metric system) for some number of days. It is expensive to have a public family fracas in that country.
    When young desi husbands abuse their wife, and mummy of their child, I would like to have them go for a consulting experience with a divorce lawyer.

shyamala1234 and satchitananda like this.
  6. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

"In marriage, we keep evolving and growing. Along the way, we face our limitations, worst fears, and best moments. If we have our partner on our side, the ride can be fine! If not, we will keep learning and growing and living"

OP in above lines you have given a complete insight.
    Wonderful right up.

7. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Who makes that house a GHAR a home, it is a woman . A woman puts behind all her dreams, comfort, family, friends everything to make that house bought by someone as his home. She owns this home.She is the soul of the home . How can someone ask the owner to get out? Even if it is said and the woman walks out, will it remain the same? It will go back to become a soulless house.
    A man who keeps hinting his woman to leave the home at the drop of the hat needs to understand that the ultimate loss is his. I do not know when will the things change for women.
    Nice write up OP. A very thought provoking one.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have rarely read truer words on IL. Not only ghar, applies to any thing. It is experience speaking above, and each word so very true. Should have no qualms. Too often, women hesitate, second-guess, and that puts them at a further disadvantage than what they are already facing.

Never let anyone tell you you are wrong in feeling a certain way.

Good post, hermitcrab.

radv likes this.
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice write-up Hermitcrab. I keep wondering what gives a man the right to tell his better half you can go to your dad's house or move out when she has invested her soul in his life? How will things ever be the same once those words were spoken out loud ? Will a wife ever say that? Ask a man to go to his Maike(mother's place)?
    Yes, so true !

Amica likes this.
  10. jssd

jssd Bronze IL'ite

@hermitcrab,

I could so relate to you.... from the childhood impressions to the post marriage situations.. it touched a raw nerve. Truer words have not been said. And to have a secure roof over your head does wonders to your mental state.

And if we have demons in our past or present it is only upto our own selves to slay them. :clap2::clap2:

Best wishes.
    J