menstruation (time of month) hindu view

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jaagrutik, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jaagrutik

jaagrutik New IL'ite

hey guys or girls even as the topic concerns. i was thinking of something that i have thought about for quite a while now.
    i come from quite a religious background, not strict but i would say with traditions and i was wondering if any of this applied to you guys. ever since ive been bought up (from the uk) although my upbrining was a mixture of both cultures i now spend frequent time in india. but anyways the point is that the wemon in my family when ever on there time of month including me. Don't cook meals,go to mandir, sit in religious events/god as such..don't go near hd. ive always guessed and always been told its to preserve purity. dont go near your hd as in an tradtional hindu relationship he represents god?
    i mean i'm not questioning it because i follow it dont know how much i agree with but i follow it as ive been bought up with this routine. its apart of my life now i guess. i was just wondering if any of you have come across it..
    me and and my hd have talked about this, i guess he doesnt really mind he respects the tradition ive been bought up with and goes along with it. the fact is that i dont go near him, sit next to him if possible...even his food, tea whatever is made by someone else on these days. he's quite lax about it where as i'm not i think,:hide: am i too extreme?. even i was to do all those things he wouldnt care. but im the more presever of it.
    when mine or even his family comes around then he cant be so passive to it and hes totally causious about it and still he comes across and not carrying which i feel is totally sweet of him.

i just wanted to know if you ladies had ever come across it..or am i just following a really out dated tradition? jaagruti.

2. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Hmm...this age old tradition was started because women of olden days did lot of physical work in kitchen..so to give them rest it was asked not to touch anything ...I mean cook anything or touch any utensils. Since generally people lived in joint families might be who cooks was not a problem those days. They ask not to go DH...might be to avoid physical relation during mensuration. Hindu religion is such an old one that it has undergone umpteenth number of changes to reach what it is today. I think its not because DH is god figure ..its because to avoid any kind of relation during mensuration. I cook during these days as normal (if I leave kitchen no one will cook :tongue ) . I just don't do pooja or visit temples during periods. I try to take rest by avoiding other tasks. but I do take head bath on the start and end of periods.

I think you can cook for DH..or sit next to him. JMO though :)

I don't think its an outdated tradition. It was meaningful in its own sense. But it can be modified for sure. Like in olden days women were not allowed to touch anything and other ladies of home cooked or cleaned. Now it can be said as lady taking rest...instead of preventing her to touch anything and if possible other members of home helping her or taking over her charges.
    [/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  3. incarnation

incarnation Silver IL'ite