1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Menopause... Then And Now

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by anukarsha, Apr 7, 2018.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi friend
    Logging-in to IL after a long hiatus. I have definitely missed you all. I hope you are doing well in life.

Just dropped in to say a big HIIII to you and ask a few questions related to menopause.

I was wondering what it takes for a lady to go through the menopause. There are a few questions in my mind. I request you to please give your feedback in this regard.

1. Is it true that we (the generation of 60s to 80s) are feeling more affected by the menopausal symptoms like hot flashes and irritability? or the generation of our moms too felt the same?
    2. I never felt any difference in the behaviour or attitude of my grannies, mom and aunts when they were in their menopausal years. How is it with you, do you also feel the same?
    3. What could be the possible reasons for our generation to feel it more?

Thank you.
    Have a pleasant day ahead!

Love
    Anu

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Hi!

Menopause is the cessation of menstrual activity: reproductive capability of a woman's system comes to an end. This has a direct impact on women; mentally, physically and emotionally. As a physical consequence of hormonal changes ovaries stop producing eggs, uterus stops building its walls in the anticipation of pregnancy and due to reduced estrogen suppleness of skin, vaginal elasticity and libido are all impacted. The following site covers the topic menopause fairly well. Menopause: Symptoms, causes, and treatments

On the mental/ emotional level, an age group of 45-55 is when one is at the peak of career, children would have reached career deciding paths, many nests become empty and this is also the time when chronic diseases start catching up and... retirement/death of the spouse are also on the horizon. In short, it is a period of great stress.

Emotionally, one becomes sensitive and vulnerable in the face of physical and mental turmoil. In addition, some fear the loss of 'youth' and desirability. This is more so in marriages with an unsympathetic spouse, families with more of western influence where a lot of premium is placed on sex and desirability and also when women have low self confidence and distorted body image.

Acceptance of these changes as natural and going with the tide is the key to happy menopause. In olden days, most women were physically very active and their diet was lean and good. By the age of 45-50, most of them were grandmothers. To them menopause meant greater physical freedom and they accepted it wholeheartedly. A little bodily irritations were accepted as natural part of aging process. Moreover, the older generation of women did not really care much about their physical health nor believed in talking about their problems with others openly. They hushed up everything. Apart from these, the older generation was relatively less hurried and stress free. Even the fatalistic thinking in India could be behind natural acceptance of menopause. I guess this answers your first and second question.

Awareness, increased perception of youth and the expectation of continued physical aspects in tune with the western world thinking could perhaps be the reason behind not easily accepting menopause as a natural process by a few. In addition, now we are vocal about our isssues and this can sometimes lead to comparison trips too. For example, I know a family where (hereditory) they enjoy very good physical health and women in seventies are as good as women in fifties with very good physical agility and energy levels. So any regular woman looking at them would naturally feel depressed about her own comparative poorer health!

Beyond this, ofcourse due to hormonal impairment some women, maybe 1 in 10 or 20, may suffer extreme mood swings and other physical symptoms and they may need HRT or some other interventions. Again during the entire fertility period most women have almost comfortable periods which hardly needs a change in their routine while a few go through crippling pain, excessive bleeding and mood swings making them totally sick for those five odd days! Individual variation always exists. Those women who have premature menopause, naturally or surgically induced, may have relatively more coping issues for obvious reasons.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  3. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much, sis Geeta kashyap for your elaborate reply.
    I completely agree with what you have written.
    Thanks, once again.
    Love
    Anu

GeetaKashyap likes this.