1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Menopause-- An Opportunity to Reinvent Yourself

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by anukarsha, Feb 12, 2015.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi friend

Now a days, I often meet with woman approaching or going through the menopause. Many of them seem quite irritable, frustrated and emotionally vulnerable.

I often wondered-
    • Is menopause something to fret about?
    • Is menopause the end of everything in a female's life?

Or

• Menopause is just another phase in woman's life?
    • And an opportunity to reinvent herself in different ways?

I would like to request you to please help me with my above queries. I would appreciate if you could also share your views about--
    • What do you feel about menopause?
    • Is natural menopause and induced (as in hysterectomy) the same? Or is there any difference in the symptoms?
    • How can family members help a woman going through perimenopause?
    And anything else that you feel would help woman at large experiencing this.

:thankyou2:

1 person likes this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Madam Anukarsha,

Menopause is a natural process of deterioration of functioning of ovaries etc.There are are many many websites answering your questions.
    Individual cases differ. Some have very smooth transition. Some have certain problems. The stress, strain and fear are more psychological.More than the actual difficulties, the perception of the difficulties is the root cause of problems.
    Medically they say that natural menopause causes lesser symptoms and problems than the surgical menopause.
    In olden days women were taking extracts of banana flowers ( concoction of banana flowers ground) and it was a great remedy. Taking calcium dosage either by way of tablets or natural food will certainly help.
    Menopause problems, symptoms etc are spoken off in a greater measure now a days. Perhaps with lesser number of children,that too with settling the children within 50 years of age, women have more time to worry about this.
    Change in life style/pattern is also said to attribute to menopause problems.
    Women with menopausal stage , in most families, will have nobody at home to lend support.Son/daughter will be in the early years of marriage or will have infants to look after.

Women have to look after themselves.It is only a transition phase , in some cases extending to one or two years.
    As menopause is more associated with attitude and mind.Acceptance of the situation will greatly help. Diversion into one's own hobbies like writing, painting, meditation, some short tours will definitely help.
    In many cases, doctors don't advise harmone replacement therapy as its side effects are many.
    in brief women can easily pull on with this phase without much difficulty by focussing on
    various other issues. My friend joined M. A, ( Vaishnavism ) in Madras University and came out in fine colours after attaining 55.
    All problems in the world come with solutions;menopause is not an exception.

Jayasala 42

3 people like this.
  3. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thank you dear Jayasala for your detailed feedback. I loved a few points very much. Yes, I too feel that menopause is more about acceptance and perception and less about bodily discomfort. Excellent reply, dear Jayasala.

Have a blessed life ahead! Regards :)

PS.: Please call me Anukarsha or just Anu as my other IL friends call me. No madam and all for me, please! :)