1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Men slap, women use words?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A man slaps his wife, the woman gets instant sympathy and maybe advice to walk out and statements that a "man" never slaps a woman. Slapping or hitting is physical abuse.

A woman uses words, sharp words, aimed to hurt just like a slap would, but, this might or might not get viewed as verbal or emotional abuse.

Physical abuse is easier to define, measure and criticize. Other forms of abuse such as verbal and emotional are not as easy to define and the abuser may get away with it.

Thoughts?

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Here I was ready to [​IMG] when saw a thread from u ...
    Ah....R....I see myself agreeing with u ...[​IMG] Can we have another thread please :)

On a serious note...verbal/emotional abuse ..is very hard to identify and prove . Some men/women can literally drive their spouses to insanity with very sharp words/manipulation. There is another form of abuse less talked about but just as sinister in a marriage "Withholding sex " as a form of punishment. And yes if u are a man (victim)in an abusive relationship the support system /laws are pretty pathetic.

Twinkel, prettydevil, lucky2 and 8 others like this.
  3. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

Both are equally bad.. There is a tamil thirukural by Thiruvalluvar

'theeyinal sutta pun ullarum aaradhe navinal sutta vadu'

Meaning: Wound caused by fire/flame would get healed but not the wound caused by the sharp tongue..

4. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Some men slap and use words, all men are not dumb.:spin
    Its not as if men do not pass sarcastic comments , using words is not a prerogative of women!
    But one cannot die or get hospitalized by words alone as in DV.
    DV or slapping requires physical strength where men win unless the woman is a Black belt.
    A powerful slap can cause internal bleeding i.e. physical damage.
    Its not as if a person can only slap or speak ill, multi-talented men can do both.

sindmani, incarnation, monita and 8 others like this.
  5. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Both genders use sharp words. I am sure many prefer sharp words to honey coated taunts any day.
    Abuse in any form is no no.

No duel? So popcorn packet goes back to the pantry? ..Witsend... Why :-(

sindmani, prettydevil, kma and 12 others like this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

FL truth sometimes is stranger than fiction. U just have to research a bit and join any abuse prevention/hotline as a volunteer to dispel the above myth.

1 person likes this.
  7. suseelee

suseelee Junior IL'ite

Yes i agree with anjannathan.. Both are bad.. Behind this Had the same reason lack of awareness or understanding.. Symptoms of depression, stress are also the reason of people who have been physically abused. But hurtful words can be only said by insecure and immature person. I think the only solution is to Discuss the problem and get it out in the open.

1 person likes this.
  8. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Men and women both use sharp words, intending to hurt the other. Some men know that DV will never be tolerated so they resort to words.

But, IMO, both are equally bad. Yes, I agree, DV gets more importance or sharper responses. Which should change, isn't it?

Mental / emotional abuse hurts just as much.

6 people like this.
  9. shama146

shama146 Gold IL'ite

It's not that men only slap keeping their mouth shut. Often their mouth and hand work simultaneously.

In Indian context when ever people hear the word "abuse", they generally associate it with physical violence.

The sad part is that in our society, only when a man hits his woman - is taken as a sign to take strict action against him.

But let me tell you emotional/mental abuse is as damaging as the physical one.The scars on your body might heal after sometime, but the ones in your soul never heals. Emotional/mental abuse destroys you completely as a person. Your self-esteem/respect completely vanishes. Though there won't be any physical violence, but living in that atmosphere is very suffocating.

Found a very good book: "But He Never Hit Me by Dr. Jill A. Murray"

sindmani, riya123, kma and 5 others like this.
  10. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

Physical Abuse is a No No....

sindmani and Rihana like this.