1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Men and gizmos

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Since Summer began or rather I should say since it became too hot , I observed one thing much to my very annoyance. And that is my husband and son seemed to live in my hair. By that I mean they irritated me so much I was’nt sure if it had any thing to do with the heat or heat index or the even the moon!. For example,Breakfast would just be over before my dh would start questioning what’s for lunch and sometimes even what’s for dinner??Witsend Really !!!!! .. So you can see how the heat got to me or rather how annoying they got! And for some vague reason they managed to put lots of t-shirts for washing. And dare I ask why, they blamed it on the heat and the summer and somehow that was to justify the need of changing tshirts every so often?Rant
    On the start of summer holidays dh decided to get ds a computer. For one reason he has been asking for one for a looong time! And for another he was truly fedup of having to share an old and slow one with me:confused: Here not sure who is the old but lets just say we are referring to the computer.
    So once the comparison shopping began the house resonated with terms that sounded more foreign to me than even Portugese might sound. The only time I tried to poke my nose into the conversation would be when prices sounded exhorbitant and I tried and toned it down a little. Not that any one paid any attention to me. For some reason these 2 guys lived in their own world speculating about mega htz and bytes and above all size of monitor. I could never understand this fascination of the monitor size since I reasoned with them that we only need monitor to look at something why pay extra for a fancy bigger computer screen???? No I was out voted . In fact they seemed to share a common mirth in this regard so I was also outwitted. I could only thank god that they did not call me dimwitted as well.shakehead
    The D day arrived and we all got dressed and went to the shop and my ds was armed with a battery of questions!. Fortunately we found a representative who patiently answered my ds and dh’s questions. But all said and done that person was a sales person and I am sure some percentage of sales was his commission. So it was no wonder to me that he steered us to the more expensive machine in the room and YES you guessed it with the larger and fancier monitor in place.
    Try as I might I could not steer my dh and ds away from the monitor. They acted like their feet was glued in front of that gorgeous but expensive computer. :idontgetit:I even tried telling that my stomach ached but they could only tell me in a relieved tone of voice to go and sit down or better still go and search for the bathroom ( And STAY There was implied HEAVILY)!
    I refused to budge away from the sales person who by now I was convinced was after my fortunes (read lack of it) .. so the battle began with me trying to steer family away from the pricey and fancy equipment and sales rep enticing family with gimmicks the fancy computer could do.
    Well in the end the fancy computer and pushy sales man prevailed and we brought back home our new computer. Now both dh and ds are all hands and ears installing the computer and extolling its virtues for anyone who might hear!.. Me too. I was told the advantages of the larger screen that I could see it from anywhere in the room!! Now why would I want to see it from anywhere in the room? But they had eyes and ears for none but the machine in front and very soon it became their focal point .. Other than only Nadal and Federer and the Basketball finals and few other matters of important which could be summed in one word Sports.
    I digress.. so they are totally engrossed with the machine that they even forget to put their innumerable t-shirts to wash nor even ask whats cooking? Does anyone know the remedy for this madness with fancy machines and toys or what is this something about men and these gizmos??:help

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear most AC akka,

I can only smile and laugh at what you have written... I only wish Shanthi reads this... She will join you in the polambals / agitation... hahahahahahahahahaha... great....

I am really happy that YDH has the say in purchases, unlike me... I have been after Shan for purchasing the wall mounting 56/58" TV and a home theater for the last few years... (Pls dont ask me what is that few years...) She some how gives some excuse or the other stating that it is not required now.... Though I know it is not essential as of now, and the kids will get get distratced... But still it has been hanging... Another one is the computer... Currently what she is having is giving her lot of problems... and she keep sorting out on and off... I have been after her to get a laptop for herself so that this can be used for DD/DS... She has been postponing / avoiding this topic stating that she is comfortable with what she has...

I really dont know how come you are so typical of Shan... You are supposed to be my sis right... and not Shans... Enjoy the fun... Watching in a big screen is always good and it gives better feeling...

Hahahahahahahaha.... Too many T shirts for wash... Food... No... No.. comments... I am not qualified to comment, as I follow the same style... my DS is much worse... he will ask what is for dinner, even before he start having his lunch... so...

Now I have to wait and see, what Shanthi has to say....

Veda

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear AC,

Gizmos & Guys go hand in hand. My motto "If you cannot beat them, join them"

That also had disastrous results this W/E. You see it is V8 championship races here. Hubby refused to budge. A threat of going alone made him jump up.

Went to sandown Park & guess what? It is a good thing the "Pits" are cordoned off else Hubby would have hitchhiked a ride from one of the race drivers.

It is raining today, so saw the races on TV. Hubby's comment "It would be so nice on a Plasma". Changed the topic immediately.

AC, I feel it is ingrained in the DNA structure of every Male to have the latest shiny Gizmos in town. In Oz, it is called the Magpie Syndrome (Magpies are attracted to shiny objects).

Well, I learnt an Important lesson from life. If you cannot cure it, endure it. Any requests for new gizmos are met with a blank stare & a yawn. Many a time it works. Many a time, it doesn't.

Regards,

Corallux

4. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

From your post I could clearly see that your husband and son go hand in hand in whatever they do.

Day in and day out fancy machines keep coming and we need to keep ourselves updated about these else we are sidelined . Cant help it.

Now they are into the exploration of the new pc and once its done, they would start off again with you till they find something else new to explore. This should not continue. As long as their concentration is diverted, you are at peace.

Best is to take a break if possible for a few days, to make them understand about you. Try to stay away from them for a few days, tell them that you needed this change.

They would realize your importance and how they kept irritating you for nothing.

Very simple we always realize the value of certain things in its absence.

5. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Hey Corallux,

Boys will have their toys ,these represent the simple pleasures in their life.

In a lighter vein I have heard men joke that any gizmo at home is better than a
    wife since :
    1. It does not talk back
    2.It can be switched off when not required.
    3.An upgrade always comes along within a few months/years
    4.Old one can be exchanged for a new one.

Cheers !!

6. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Point no. 3 & 4 sounds really good reasons... I am imagining in real life... about the spouse... hahahahahaha... Just joking....

Veda

7. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

I humbly concur Dolorcosta.Bow

You have summed up the psychology of Males in a nutshell...

Regards,

Corallux

8. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Corallux

Thanks for yr todie's myle, myte ( does that sound Ozzi enough? )

Cheers

9. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

G'day Mate,

(Burp) Sorry had a VB. Yep, Nice to see another Sheila on the web that believes in Ozziespeak.

Good on you mate. Keep it coming (Slurp)

Appreciate it.

Corallux

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My Dear AC
    Reading this was sitting and laughing at what you wrote.............Best thing to say is our most lovable words same pinch .............
    My DS started using my laptop and i use to just sit and watch and slowly wanted to take it to school.........I said no way this is not going to work so at last my DH has to agree to get a laptop to him............now you can see sometime 3 laptops on on the table.............hehehehe
    Here to both the men are one party and me poor soul left alone, don't worry AC I am with you.........
    These discussions happen here too, sometimes I get irriated and start shouting for sometime they are quite show that they are paying attention to me and again the same thingbonkcan't change them...........you are right they are in they own world..........I tell my son wait let my DIL come then I will have a stronger party then u guys..........hahaha
    All men are same AC no use going behind them. Just leave them...........