1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Memories!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jan 2, 2021.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Would have been most delighted to!

iyerviji likes this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Rihana,

Thank you for your feedback!
    The way you can go down the memory lane, no one can do! You should write more often. I am glad my snippet brought memories and smiles your way!

Rihana likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you @Balajee for your feedback and sharing your perspective!

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

my friend, thank you as always for your feedback. I was not aware of uppada silk sarees - not that my knowledge is vast. I knew many a aunt growing up who would buy directly from the weavers. On our trip to Kashi, we managed to go some weavers of Benaras silk and I remember a very old man in particular who could bring beauty in a way I cannot describe from his loom! I have visited quite a few looms and the threads and the colors and the machines working in unison to create that piece of fabric is amazing. Thank you for bringing that point up.
    I love bottle green and parrot green! Lovely colors :) Deeper colors are also fantastic and that mustard yellow!!!

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viji aunty @iyerviji ,

Who does not know your love for sarees in this forum! I love your enthusiasm too. Glad you wear all of your sarees and that too with so much of joy. It is indeed an art. I certainly hope that we all get back to somewhat a normalcy soon enough. Most of my sarees are also either gifted to me or I have inherited. Thankfully, these days I do get to wear them often and navarathri is the best time to wear. Thank you aunty for nominating my post - coming from you, it means a lot. Truth be told, I did think of you when I wrote this snippet. Regard to uncle and it really is so nice to see you here.

iyerviji likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

The love for Sarees finds reasons to attach it to the memories of the enjoyable events or people. It is also responsible for keeping it for a longer duration. The photographs, recalling the events in the mind and any associated thoughts can always bring those wonderful memories and bring those people we love in our mind's eye. These are practices that prevent us from practicing minimalism. "How many in your wardrobe?" is the question that I asked my students and teachers sometime back, almost all of them did that as a life application and came up with some revealing answers that they were themselves surprised about. Some they were not wearing for months and years, some they never used even once and some they use frequently as opposed to others, etc. Pairs of Shoes is another one that we need to keep track of. Removing those emotions that bind us to those material things is something we need to think of. It is our perceptions that make us tie ourselves with excessing baggage. Life becomes comfortable when we practice minimalism.

The better questions are:

1) Why do I need more rack space?
    2) What can I give away as a charity?
    3) How many I need as home wear and as professional outfits?
    4) How do I communicate to the loved ones that we cherish photographs with them more than the gifts?
    5) Lastly, how much is too much?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    satchitananda and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you V sir, for your response and your perspective!

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, very good questions everyone collecting saris without actually using them. My wife, who is honest enough to admit that they are of no use to them anymore (They were part of unspoken dress code of top government officials) now wants to sell off her kanjeevarams , not give them to charity becaue they are of nom use to her as home wear and despite having a big house, we don't have storage space for too many clothes. She just wants to keep some good colttons and get rid of the rest. While women in India , either due to workplace dress codes oor peer pressure need some saris, those abroad, i feel, need them basically as something that links them to their culture, to their roots.