1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Memories sail in my backyard

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knot2share, Oct 30, 2010.

1. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

The weather forecast predicted good rains starting late night on Friday and showering right through Saturday and Sunday. So the weekend is wet. The weather channels predict fairly accurately here unlike the ones that I was used to - baarish hone ya na hone ki sambhavana hain! The bureau of meteorology is pretty accurate with the time too. They predicted that about mid day it would start to rain heavily and by 11.30am the showers began and started picking up intensity. It is 4pm now and still raining. For a rain starved state, all these downpours are a welcome change. Our water levels are just about half full in the reservoirs.

When one wakes up to a gloomy day, there is nothing more that I would like to do at home, than just relax. This is exactly what we planned to do as well. As the hours went by, our backyard was looking more and more like a pool with water clogging. We hoped it would not get into the house and would start draining into the storm water drain.

Such rains always take me back to my school holidays at my grandparent's home in Kerala. My cousins and me used to have loads of fun getting drenched in the rain in spite of warnings from parents and grandparents. We used to have these funny challenges. We would challenge to find out who had the courage to run into the rain and touch a tree at a distance and return back within x seconds. Totally turning deaf to the repeated warnings from elders, we kids had a ball for an hour or more in the rains. As soon as one of the parents spotted us with our mischief, they would all come one by one, spank us, dry us up and change our clothes.

Grandparent's home had the nadumittam/central courtyard. This used to be another favourite place to hang around during rains. Water was allowed to collect in the courtyard by blocking the outlet and we kids used to jump into the water and splash all around and have fun just immediately after having changed into fresh dry clothes. One of the favourite time pass activity would be to make paper boats made of different coloured sheets of paper and watch them float.

My clogged backyard reminded me of the nadumittam at my ammamma's place. I wanted to make a paper boat and set it floating in the water in my backyard. I tore a colourful page from a magazine and sat down to make one. And oh!! I forgot how to make a paper boat. I started from the beginning again and again, but got stuck after the fourth or fifth step. I did not know how to complete my paper boat. This was unbelievable because never in my life time did I expect to forget something so simple as making a paper boat. I was in denial and looked at my hubby who cracked up looking at my expression. So I challenged him to make one and yesssssssss to my utter delight, he had forgotten too!!! Honestly I remember the first few steps but he remembers only the first step :). Of course one can never thank google enough these days. I re-learnt how to make the paper boat and set mine floating.

So there began the journey of my little Titanic, floating back and forth in my backyard. It was not floating straight but tilted a bit towards one of the sides. Actually this is one aspect of my boat-making that I have not forgotten...hahah! Still, the sight of a paper boat built by my own hands and managing to float well, was precious :). Only thing that was missing was the company of my cousins and my ammamma's voice calling me "Shree moley" :) and of course the delicious snacks made with her own hands.

2. deraj

deraj Platinum IL'ite

Nice K2S. Childhood days are always to be cherished. Nice to know about your boat making. Enjoyed reading your blog.

3. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Lovely blog!! I loved this blog for reasons a) I love rain b) brought back my childhood memories

So you googled on making paper boats eh? Wow...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful blog :)

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

So true dear Deraj. Innocent sweet moments those are isn't it? Happy to know that you enjoyed reading the blog. Thank you for coming.

5. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Ice darling! I feel very ashamed to admit that I had to google to (re)learn how to make paper boats. It still is unbelievable that I could forget something that I used enjoy doing a lot in my childhood and my hubby never fails to give me company..heheh! Good that this blog brought back memories for you. Enjoy! Appreciate your comments. Thank you.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

K2S,

Paper boats..the models..i still have to master the katthi boat (btw have to google what it is called in english)..i have taught my kids the art of making boats..and we have sailed them in the rivulets of rain. oh k2s, sometimes i forget all that i have done with the kids and feel that guilt did i do enough..this post of your brought back memories of my playing with them..thanks for the rekindling..well i was more of a bookworm, and a gardener..so come rains,i would be meddling with the plants, with a spade..or sitting with a book,jagjit singh ghazals accompanying me, with warm peanuts...oh heaven..

Good one ..

7. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear K2S,

You know what...as I was reading your blog, I rushed to a piece of paper and checked out if I remembered the boat making. First time, I fumbled...then again after 2 trials got it right :-D. And only after that I came to read the remaining part of your blog. How wish it rains here now for me :-(.

I could visualise your backyard with water clogging ..and then the nadumittam at your ammamma's place. As I ended your blog, I felt the saaral on me.
    Lovely one Shree moley :biggrin2:

8. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Oh dear Shan..Jagjit Singh ghazals with warm peanuts on a rainy day....mmmmmm...sitting with a book....you are taking me to a beautiful relaxing world. Love the feeling. Some hot bajjis might be good too, but Shiva or Ami might come and twist my ears :). Good to see you go on a memory trip.. I need to master just making normal boats that can float straight and not on one side....Thank you for dropping by. Take care.

9. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Oi Saras...I was so close to jumping with joy at the prospects of finding another person who has forgotten to make paper boats..But bugger!! You managed it .. :-(. Saaral adichhatha..kewl! Titanic mathiriye my boat also finally crashed against the wall and toppled over and dived into the water, only to find itself on the grass now!!

10. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Oh jayshree, even I enjoy making paper boats, I taught my kids, like u, I forgot, but with some trial, could remember. :)

I enjoy to dance in rain, facing my head up feeling rain drops on the face. Beautiful post rekindled beautiful memories.