1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Melody, Harmony & Symphony In Yoga

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Noted pl. But then is it for both genders?

2. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Shirshasana is not recommended for girls at all.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

EO is elder one..

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Yes he is 7....thanks for info... Will look into it..

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

My husband learnt yoga from a Guru and was doing asanas from age 7 and was quite hale and hearty.But after the brain injury he was dissuaded by doctors from doing sarvangasana ans shirasaasana for valid reasons.All the exercises,meditative practices etc hold good only when the entire sysytem functions normally.Otherwise we have to restrict.
    jayasala42

messedup and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thanks to madam sister visit here.

I agree when the entire body network functions are intact, the benefit of yoga & meditation practices render the person more fit. But to maintain that fitnesses acquired it seems necessary to continue with the regimen in religious manner every day at the dedicated hour.
    Regards.

messedup likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Thyagarajan sir,

Here I am finally - been meaning to write since the day you posted but days have been getting the better of me. Personally for me, yoga is moving meditation. While practising or teaching yoga, if I falter in my pose I know my mind has wandered. Yoga is melody, harmony and symphony - as long as we can get to that point of "Sthirasukham aasanam" - afterall the ultimate goal of yoga is "Chitha shudhi nirodah" leading us to meditation. Thankfully, Patanajali doesnot specify which asana gives us that sthira sukham - it is upto the practioner, it can be a headstand or a simple padmasana. In the Ashtanga school I practise and love, our sun salutations prepare us for asana practice and perhaps of all the asanas. there may be one that gives that 'aha' moment. So in the one hour class or my own practise, I strive to get to that moment and it is in that moment I find all that melody, harmony and symphony. It is amazing though that the moment can carry me through the day with so many other moments. Over the years, I am learning it is not the complexity of the asana but for that moment that I come to that mat.

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

:hello:I have a question to lovers of and those who practice yogic exercise & or carnatic or Hindustani music which is better for longevity and robust health or fitness as you may call it.
    Which is better - music listening or yoga regimen?

9. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Sir,
    If you ask whether music or yoga. I would go with music. I tried yoga, it did help me, but I could not practice regularly. I prefer doing it in a group, which I don't have now

Regards
    Uma

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thanks fir the response. I think mere listening to carnatic and bethovens compositions music lends enchantment calmness to mind paving for clarity of thoughts but for body fitness its effect is dubious.
    But in the same breath i find music practioners of carnatic lived almost consistently with body fitness. MLV, MS Amma, Madurai Mani iyer, GNB, PAPANASAM SIVAN comes to mind. But many carnatic exponents in terms of longevity i cant say the same.
    Dikshitar departed at 40+. Buttyagaraja lived upto 79 and a few weeks before he composed asong in sahana. He was fit without exercise ir anyworkout! My dad practised neither music nor any exercise regimen but could livewithout any bp or sugar orkidny problems till 99 years 9 months. He came at 16 from his village to city and could lead a life rarely falling sick. He was fond of hot food and add two spoonful sugar to his coffee three times a day.

REGARDS.