MEDICINES in human life. grace OR curse

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Yashikushi, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

While the influence of psychological and social factors in mental/physical illness are increasingly acknowledged, medicines have a role to play in helping to alleviate diseases.
    Medicines :code for human life: Extending our life to Move on:protective jackets:Help in maintaining or restoring human health ,possibly prevention of disease. Want to live for little more n PLUS (more precisely to normal life span) need MEDICINE PLUS.

No pharmaceuticals. No medicine. No aspirin, No pain killers! No existence of Human race.This is the demented equation of human life. Life evolves (developing embryo in the womb) and ceases (death) with medicines.Newer the medicine: newer the disease. Naming of disease, a taming gage. Finding of medicine, a cripple gym.

Everyone knows what medicines are for - to make you feel better when you are sick. But many people don't realize that all medicines have risks as well as benefits. The risks of medicines include unwanted side effects or interactions with food or other medicines you may be taking. Some risks are not very serious, Whatever the type, either alternative, supplementary or herbal, , medicines are prone to induce human race existence.

Surely drugs were of unquestioned value in the treatment of disease.Medicines a grace or a curse???? Share your medicament missiles here.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saroj

As far as possible we dont take medicines in our house. Only if it is very necessary we take. My husband has to be forced to take medicines. He says with medicines his sickness increases. If he has cold he will have Pepper rasam. But he wont take any medicines.

If we have proper food and at appropriate time then we wont get sickness. With children it is difficult so we have to give them medicines when they are not well.

Some depend on home made medicines for any sickness and if does not cure go for Doctor's medicines.

In some houses they have different type of medicines for cough, cold , feveretc and without going to the Doctor they take these medicines. But when someone is sick it is better to consult the Doctor.

love
    viji

3. Yashikushi

Thanks for haulting & gushing out your views Viji Ma.
    Ya what Appa said is correct.I used to visit the Doc only to get the knowledge of my sickness.Completely avoid taking pills,but follow the precautions.The beauty is I got alergy due a particular tablet.So now I can't use any of them even in emergency.

Our Patti Vaidyam are handy & will soothe some cases.But not all.Then in that instance have to consult Doc.
    You are correct.PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

4. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Saroj,

It is very true that sometimes the reactions of a drug is more

troublesome than the real health problem itself...

and nowadays even doctors are hesitant abt prescribing these new generation drugs which are too potent and so are theit side effects...

I prefer to pamper mybcold and cough with warm drinks (soups /rasams

etc)than take antihistamines which make me drowsy and restless...

5. Yashikushi

Thanks Shaka!
    Ya,Its better to bear the pain than getting worser with medicines.Pillayar pitika kurangu aana katha than.But some times we need them badly for immediate relief,like migraine.Even for that I used to do warm foment just an relaxation.Taking pain killers knock-out our renal organ the kidneys.

6. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

Before you take a pain reliever for conditions such as headache, sinusitis, muscle or joint pain, make sure you know about the potential side effects.

Gastrointestinal problems
    -- such as ulcers, gastrointestinal bleeding or upset stomach -- can occur in people who take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for long periods. NSAIDs include aspirin and ibuprofen.

Liver damage
    can occur in people who take large quantities of acetaminophen (paracetamol), or in those who already have liver problems.

Kidney damage,
    if NSAIDs are used frequently for long periods.

NSAIDs may interact with medicines that people take to combat high blood pressure. NSAIDs can also elevate blood pressure on their own.

In rare cases, people can be allergic to pain medications.

the pain killers cause liver damage because the any medicine is broken down in the liver ......(that means getting digested ), so increased or frequent intake will harm liver

similarly these medicine are excreted through kidneys in the urine , so if these are taken frequently or in large amounts they get deposited in kidneys

7. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Saroj,
    There is no doubt that medicines are a grace for humanity.But as with any other things we humans overuse medicines too.The moment we get a headache, or a cold without thinking another thing we pop a parecetamol/anti-cold.This is when medicines become a curse.It sure helps lots n lots of people ailing with different medical problems but due to the improper/unnecessary use of medicines make us resistant to small doses which lead us to take a higher dose next time.Though my dad is a doc he always insist not to take medicines for a mild fever,cold etc.
    what he says is your body fights against intruders and it is then your temp rises and you get a fever so let it subside naturally only if its persisten do you have ot take medicines.And for common cold if someone asks medicine to him he always says "with medicine cold subsides by 7 days and without it cold subsides by a week:rotfl "

8. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Saroj, here I am going to go along with "GRACE".
    I do not mind sharing my problems here.
    The reason is I am a Juvenile Diabetic since the age of 10 and so also my DH since 17. I had no other alternative except start on Insulin therapy with immediate effect. if I miss even one dose then my troubles start. My sugar levels goes high and I develop ketoacidosis (dehydration with vomitting and exhaling strong ammonia). I have to be extremely careful when and where I eat and cannot afford to fall sick.
    But all these things do not stop me from being active in any way. No one can make out unless they see me taking my shots in a get-together or in the train or flight. Of course all my close friends are aware and need to be aware that I have this problem.
    But when it comes to common ailments like fever, cold and cough or headache I avoid intake of medicines as much as possible.
    So what do you say here in my case - that medicine is a grace/boon to keep me floating...

9. Yashikushi

Thanks Jils!
    You have given the preventive measure for all curatives.
    Ya you are right in saying that side-effects are worser than disease annoyance.Its better that we should gain some knowledge before taking the pills.
    Handy medicines are utile to some extent only.For immediate arrest have to gulp the medicines, the graces which sometimes turns in to a cursing.

10. Yashikushi

Thanks for giving your missiles Ami.
    Being a Doc's DD,you may have little extra noesis.Given some scentific annotates in general.
    Ya my view also same like your Dad.I never take medicines,Bear my atmost level.Take them as final step.Its migraine which troubles me lot.But nowadays am practised with the pain.
    "with medicine cold subsides by 7 days and without it cold subsides by a week" 100% agmark reality.