1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Medela pump + lansinoh bags+ playtex drop ins?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by srila1234, Aug 14, 2010.

1. srila1234

srila1234 New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    I am a working mom with a 6 week old infant. I am essentially trying to save some time in washing bottles and swapping breastmilk back and forth,thereby losing precious drops of white gold
    Will this combination - i.e. pumping using Medela pump in style advanced directly into lansinoh bags and using the lansinoh bags as drop ins - work?
    Has anyone tried this?

Much appreciate your advice

Thanks
    Sri

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

lansinoh bags don't work too well when attached directly to medla pump.
    what you can try is putting the playtex drop-in bottle liners (4 oz ones) into the bottle into which you are pumping and then transfer the milk filled liner to the feeding bottle. or if you are using medela bottles for feeding just attach the nipple to the bottle into which you have pumped.

I purchased 2 medela accessory kits Amazon.com: Medela Breast Pump Accessory Set: Baby

so that I would always have spare bottles and pump parts at hand. This way I only had to wash the bottles and pump parts once a day. or you can also buy a dishwasher basket to wash the bottles and pump parts in the dishwasher.

Amazon.com: Munchkin Deluxe Dishwasher Basket Colors May Vary: Baby

3. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

I use lansinoh bags, and they work gr8.

4. srila1234

srila1234 New IL'ite

Thank you both. I tried using lansinoh bags with medela pump. Works great - the only thing is that you have to partially zip the bag and hold it against the connector to breast flange. Anyways mine is not a hands free pump (I have a pump in style advanced) so it was ok.
    The only part I am not sure is that if I can use these bags directly in a drop in kind of bottle as I do not have such a bottle. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    If I could use these bags directly for feeding somehow, I dont have to end uptransfering the stuff to another bottle and lose precious drops of milk

thanks
    Sri

5. Happysoul1234

the lansino bag might be too big to use as a drop in liner. what I did was put the playtex liner into the medela bottle, pump into the liner and then transfered the liner into my son's born free bottle. that worked fine. but if the lansinoh bag fits inside your kid's bottle, then there should be no problem using it that way.

6. srila1234

srila1234 New IL'ite

Thanks pmahensa.Just to confirm, can the playtex liners be stored in freezer? have you tried that?

7. Happysoul1234

no the playtex bags dont go into the freezer.

if you are concerned about saving BM then I'd say concentrate on increasing your supply. the more you pump the more the milk supply will go up. at 6 weeks, I was pumping atleast 5 times per day and my supply was about 85% of it's peak which hapenned at around 10 weeks.

Have you tried feeding your baby with the medela nipples that fit right onto the medela bottles into which you pump?

8. srila1234

srila1234 New IL'ite

Yes. I have tried using the medela bottle for feeding.
    But I am currently concerned with saving for the rainy day. As I am home now, I want to make sure I pump and keep extra milk (besides what I feed the baby) in freezer so that it comes handy when my supply dwindles down. And obviously looking at an easy solution for lonterm storage and usage of the milk

9. Happysoul1234

yep it's a good idea to freeze extra milk for later supply. I bought a separate chest freezer for my extra milk as it kept the milk good upto 6-8 months. In the fridge freezer, the milk is only good for upto 3 months and anyways I need the space in my fridge freezer for other stuff. Home Depot had a chest freezer for around $200 and I later sold it for $150 on craigslist.

Lansinoh bags are best for freezing. What I would do is pump into the medela bottles, dump the milk into lansinoh bags (despite what they say on the box, each bag can hold upto 6 ounces), then put back the cap on the medela bottle, left it upside down so the extra milk collected in the cap and then after some time, poured the milk from the cap into the storage bag. I also laid the bag flat for freezing, that way it was easier to store more milk in small amount of space. make sure and label the bag with the date of the milk pumping so that you could use the oldest milk first.

10. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

Madela has its own Pump and Save breastmilk bags. You can directly pump into the bags and freeze it. It has a neat label where you can write the info on when you pumped etc.

If you want to use the milk from the bags, show the bag under running warm water in the tap or dip in a bowl of warm water after thawing in the referigerator and you can transfer the milk directly into your baby bottle..

Amazon.com: Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags 50-pk.: Baby