1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Meal plan for 7 months old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by krishnleela, Jan 13, 2014.

1. krishnleela

krishnleela New IL'ite

Hi,

My baby girl is 7 months old and i've started solids for her after she completed 6 months. This is the meal plan i follow for her daily.

11:00 AM - Rice cereal
    6:00 PM - Veggie/fruit puree

I am planning to start ragi and boiled rice kanji. Can i start with 3 meals/day and how about spices? she doesn't like bland food. she refused to have rice kanji plainly. How about introducing fruit juices ? Also, please suggest meal plan and some menus for baby.

Thanks,

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi there, welcome to Indus Ladies. Yes you can include some basic spices like salt/turmeric powder/jeera powder etc. But dont over do it. It is recommended that it should be given bland but mine also refused bland foods and then i introduced spices.

Yes, you can slowly include small 3 portion meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner). I would recommed fruit purees/mashed instead of juices.

Please see the below links for some meal plan ideas:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/4993-foods-9-12-month-old.html

1 person likes this.
  3. krishnleela

krishnleela New IL'ite

Thanks Rakhi. I shall check out the link..

4. lilsunshine

lilsunshine New IL'ite

Krishnleela,

Doctors here in USA recommend giving only 2 solid meals per day. You can make it 3 meals per day when your kid is 9 months old. Also, you can give both cereal and pureed vegetable/fruit in the same meal (small quantity of each).

Once you feed rice cereal for a week or two, you can start on oat cereal, bareley, multi grain etc. Try different varieties of pureed fruits/veggies.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. ravindhu

ravindhu New IL'ite

Meal plan for a baby -can u all help????

hello....

This is sindhu...i need a help..i have 7 month old baby...till 6 months given milk alone...recently tried biscuits...what food to give for him from this month.. .i want my baby to be healthy..can u help ??? plz friendssmiley

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  6. Praveeram

Praveeram New IL'ite

Re: help plz

Make a health powder of ragi n feed....
    Go with boiled apple...
    Boil veg lik carrot, beet root, potato along wit small amt of rice and doll add zeragam and garlic small amt make a paste and feed...

7. shaki23

shaki23 New IL'ite

hai my baby also 8 month now

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sindhu,

You can find week by week meal plans (called weaning) on several websites like BabyCentre.

Here are some suggestions based on my research.
    - Please refrain from giving biscuits/ sweets/ snacks to the child. They are empty calories which do not provide any nutrition at all.
    - Until your child is 1 or 1.5 years old, refrain from adding salt or sugar to his food.
    - To start with you can give him mashed vegetables/ mashed dal and rice
    - Make sure that your baby is seated upright; reclining slightly is ok; but it is not ok for the baby to be lying down while being fed.
    - Start with about 1 teaspoon of the mashed food mixed with about 10 tsp of expressed breast milk or formula - the point is to add a little flavour to the food that he is already aware of. Do not use cows milk until he turns one.
    - It is best to defer wheat based products until he is slightly older
    - You can also give him cooked porridge oats or home made ragi porridge. Cook them in water, then add some breast milk/ formula.
    - Start with giving him new foods for breakfast the first week; the next week, extend it to breakfast and lunch. Then, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then, breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks in between.
    - You can use mashed banana in case you feel like sweetening anything
    - Depending on how receptive your child is to the new taste, reduce the amount of milk constantly while increasing the food in the mixture you make.
    - If your child refuses to eat what you give, back off and try offering it after a couple of minutes. Do not force the child to eat as it will be counter-productive.

You will know your child best; when introducing new foods to the child, ensure that your child isn't developing any allergies. Check out advice given on reputed baby websites.

By the time your child has completed 7 months, stop puréeing the food completely. Instead just mash it roughly. Your child will learn to chew with his gums. He might gag initially but will understand what to do rather quickly if he is given a chance. It is essential that he learns to chew because it helps developing his facial muscles which will in turn be helpful for him to start talking properly.

Around the 10th month children learn to say no and refuse food/ spit what you feed them. Therefore aim to maximise the different varieties of healthy foods that your child eats before that time. This will ensure that the child is used to the taste of healthy foods by then.

While it is tempting to offer your loved baby a sweet treat once in a while, remember that at this point it is rather unnecessary. You really need to ensure that their calorific need is met by healthy foods rather than treats until your child is at least one.

Have fun with your child!
    Cheers,
    G

2 people like this.
  9. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Hi Sindh Guesshoo is given very good tips. I jst want to add few more.

- Start giving when the baby is hungry
    - one new food to be continued at least for one week before introducing another new one.

- you can start with rice powder kanjee for the first week then rice and pottu kadalai powder kanjee.

- Idly is anther best food for the child and can be tried for the third week.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nadyne

Nadyne Senior IL'ite

We start all the time with rice cereal after 1 week give an other cereal.
    veggies after 1 month
    fruits
    then you introduce meat ,
    don't give egg yolk until the baby turns 12 months, no honey also as it can cause botulism. there pumpers website you can get all the information there.
    For the banana, as it's heavy, you have to put it for 5 minutes or so in the oven to soften it.

Hope this helps !!!

Nadine

1 person likes this.