1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Meal ideas for vacation trip

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Rajnigandha, May 19, 2014.

1. Rajnigandha

Rajnigandha Senior IL'ite

Hi ILs,

We are planning a summer vacation with family. It is going to be an 8 hour road trip and 3 days of hotel stay. I have a 1 year old and a 4 yr old. I was planning to take my rice cooker to the hotel. I think the hotel also has a microwave oven.

I need ideas to feed my kids (older one for breakfast, and younger one for all meals) using those equipments. Also, what do I need to pack (minimal) food-wise for making those meals and also food in the car. We have not given outside food to the one year old so far and do not want to do that when we are away from home.

Please also send ideas about things to pack, to take with us, etc. - not just food, to survive the road trip and the 3-day vacation.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!!

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Rajni, a fully deserved vacation! Good luck.
    You said 8 hour drive? Is it possible to make it an overnight drive? Maybe you can drive for 4 hours and DH can take over? That way, the kids will be sleeping when you guys still can manage a few hours of sleep. His way, an 8 hour drive will be an 8 hour drive instead of making frequent sops during the day. If it has to be during the day, here are my tips:

1. Take snacks which are easy to handle (like biscuits, bananas, apple sauce etc).
    2. Buy a small cooler bag, enough to fit in milk bottles, any lunch/dinner). This was a life saver for my vacations. I simple fill in the bag with the things I want and it stays very cold for 12 hours. When I need to feed, I just pull over to any nearest coffee place/ restaurant and request them to microwave it for me. You may need to buy something from that place (often, coffee is enough) just for courtesy.
    3. Buy a few rhymes CDs for the car for he young one and maybe few color hard books for the older one?

For the first 2 years of my DD’s life, where ever we went (well, it was only 3 times), we booked a serviced apartment instead of hotels. They had a full-fledged kitchen in it along with blender/microwave etc. See if you can find a deal that way. If not, then here are some suggestions:

1. Avoid potatoes when you try to make rice+veggie together. Since its going to be summer, it gets spoiled.
    2. Khichidi
    3. Pongal
    4. Take minimum spices like salt/pepper/chili powder or any favorite spice. Maybe easier to take rice and dals too.

1 person likes this.