1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ME V/s Chetan Bhagat

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shraddha2704, Mar 14, 2013.

1. shraddha2704

shraddha2704 Bronze IL'ite

Chetan Bhagat Says
    ""My mother worked for 40 years. My wife is the COO at an international bank. It makes me proud. She doesn't make phulkas for me. We outsource that work to our help, and it doesn't really bother me. If my wife had spent her life in the kitchen, it would have bothered me more.

One,
    a man who marries a career woman gets a partner to discuss his own career with. A working woman may be able to relate better to organizational issues than a housewife. A spouse who understands office politics and can give you good advice can be an asset.
    Two,
    a working woman diversifies the family income streams. In the era of expensive apartments and frequent lay-offs, a working spouse can help you afford a decent house and feel more secure about finances.
    Three,
    a working woman is better exposed to the world. She brings back knowledge and information that can be useful to the family. Whether it's the latest deals or the best mutual fund to invest in, or even new holiday destinations, a working woman can add to the quality of life.
    Four,
    the children of a working woman learn to be more independent and will do better than mollycoddled children.
    Five,
    working women often find some fulfillment in their jobs, apart from home. Hence, they may have better life satisfaction, and feel less dependent on the man. This in turn can lead to more harmony.

We must accept and even celebrate our successful women. They take our homes ahead and our country forward. We may have less hot phulkas, but we will have a better nation"

While i say
    "i havebig problems with this post. Great that the post celebrates a working woman, but it does so at the cost of a housewife. this post implores that a housewife is GOOD FOR NOTHING.
    1) U cannot NOT discuss career problems with a housewife. A Housewife can contribute to the family income in myriad ways. I know a plenty of them, including my mother, and im not talking meagre income, im talking substantial amounts here.

2) A woman can have mutiple exposures, knowledge and information. IN todays times, u dont have to venture out for exposure, u can do it in the comfort of your own homes.

3)A working mother mollycoddles her children to a far greater extent, because she substitutes her absence with more money and material things for her children.

4) life satisfaction does not come from holding a job. It comes from within. No1 can imply that a housewife has no fulfillment in her life.
    5)I cant accept ur school of thought that only a working woman can take the country forward. Does that mean a housewife has no contribution to the growth of a country.

And please stop typecasting the housewife. Agreed a housewife makes more phulkas dan a working woman, but i know countless housewifes, whose maids make d phulkas, while numerous working woman rush home to make phulkas for their family. Just because MR Chetan Bhagats Wife can afford to have a maid, does mean every working woman can afford 1. besides the maid making phulkas in Mr bhagats family is the workinh woman of her own family.
    Stop judging a woman by what work she does. A woman is to be respected irrespective of her work, the amount of money she makes and whether she makes hot phulkas or not.

2. shraddha2704

please post in your comments everybody. Recommend it to evry housewife, every working woman and every chetan bhagat u know, who thinks a woman is to respected based on the moolah she makes.

3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shraddha,

I am a working mom and I agree with you on all but one point that a woking mom mollycoddles her children more than a homemaker. That is kinda sterotyping a working mom. I accept that there are some who do, but i know many who don't.

I read this sometime back and I purely disliked the way he potrayed working women and homemakers. It is rubbish and I do not agree with his point of view at all. A woman contributes to her home in more ways than Mr. Bhagat gives her credit for. I have never read any of his books and am not sure what kind of woman he potrays in his books.... not really willing to find out.

A nice post shraddha.... best wishes!

Regards,
    Akila

4. shraddha2704

sorry akila for sterotyping a working woman....no offence:)

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not at all dear... i was just stating my opinion and i totally get your view point as well :)

Akila

6. Tiredmommy

Tiredmommy New IL'ite

Hi shraddha,
    Couldnt agree more with you as a housewife, but after lot of reflection and debate with myself and observing my friends and people around me i have come to the following conclusion-
    we as women need to stand united..every woman whether she is a housewife or a working one faces almost similar issues, faces similar prejudices, faces similar challenges..both regret or feel guilty about one thing or the other..both sometimes wish that they were in the others shoes..for centuries the society and the male population has taken efforts to make a woman feel inadequate no matter what heights she conquers..so we need to be supportive of each other, understand and compliment each other and present a stron united front..

7. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Sharddha2704,

I agree with most of what you have said.

In fact i read this one at least a year before and wrote a post in response (from a young men's pov) But unfortunately it sound hard worded and more of personal criticism, so i didn't post it.

However, i would like to add some points from it:

~on pulka: unfortunate he tries to re-establish the myth "The brain of a man, lies in his stomach". At their home they outsource it or not, that's their family problem.
    However, if someone advice me to make our pulka together (with my wife), where a quality time spend together and a domestic responsibility shared after a long day; i would appreciate and value that more than if someone suggests, if a women not willing to do so-called-her-responsibility, better outsource.

~on family income streams: I would like my wife-to-be to work not with an intention to have a decent house or more secured feeling about future. But for a simple reason "she likes to work"

~ on satisfaction and dependency: its true to some extent. But let’s not make it mandatory provision for feeling satisfied or independent by over emphasis on it. By this we may make better economy but not better individuals.

I wish to contribute to her success (say by learning some new recipes-trying it out or giving an off day to a nani) than merely celebrating. And when i celebrate, i wish to celebrate all kind of successes not only what i consider as success

I may neither right nor wrong; but my pov and this way i like to be.
    His intention on this article may be correct, but choice of reasoning definitely not.

Sorry sharaddha2704, for the lengthy feedback.

8. shraddha2704

I like your pov on family income streams....i cudnt fully grasp what u were trying to say on cooking but like it dat u r ready to venture in d kitchen. for most men its an unseen teritory :) keep d comments pouring

9. Shruti2212

Shruti2212 New IL'ite

Wonder if this is possible for all

10. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

Hit on the bulls eye. Why the working women are always seen on the creamy layer of 'Corporates'. There are n number of women who work for meagre salary and rush to change the costume to become a house wife once work is done. Why a need to distinguish something. And being a housewife is much more difficult than working women in my opinion