1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Me and my Mangalsutra

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by amihere, Jun 2, 2009.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

How important do you think mangalsutra is? Do you think it’s just a chain and the real love and understanding really resides within yourself and what matters most is how considerate you are of your better half? For me I think its most important how much you love and understand your partner , but still Mangalsutra is valued by me more than any other chain/pendant I have….Somewhere I read that it represents the union of husband and wife and protects them from evil.

And I am so lucky to have it now after losing it once , that too just a few weeks after my marriage!!! We went to Sikkim for our honey moon on the second week of our marriage and had a lovely time there, but it would have been a disaster if someone had not been so honest. First few days were spent in Namchi-South Sikkim, we had booked our accommodation in 7hills resort, Namchi.

After spending four romantic days there we were so excited to leave for East Sikkim and were trekking down the small hill on which the resort is situated. (Yeah, when you are in Sikkim you can have any food you like without worrying about the calories since you have lot of mini trekking to doJ) Then my DH got a call from the hotel reception and they spoke something to which he said he will check it and let them know. After cutting the call he asked me to check for my chain…I ran my fingers across my neck and Gosh!!!!! The chain was not there, I felt like the earth beneath me is drifting apart and am gonna lose my balance:spin. Then he said someone got a chain from the resort and has given it to the receptionist and she called to enquire whether I had lost my chain. DH called them and said that I did lose it; so they sent a guy with the chain to us.
    God!! I cannot say if I had ever felt this relieved in my entire life…I still cannot forgive me for being so careless to not know when or how the chain came out:rant. And when that guy gave it back to me Ah!! I felt I was holding my dear life in my hands and I looked my DH with a guilty face for I felt I have hurt him by not being careful with the Mangalsutra.:hide: But he just gave a smile and said to be more careful with it.
    Since they were honest, I got my mangalsutra back and I cant even think how terrible our honeymoon would have turned out if I was to discover that I have lost it and never got it back ,that too just few days after marriage:bonk…My mom always used to scold me saying am so irresponsible with gold and I never used to wear gold ornaments too especially because I was afraid of losing it. And this is something which I can’t deny wearing.DH and myself agreed to be mum about the whole incident of losing the chain to anyone else. Else both of us would be on crucified for selecting such a distant place for HM and also for being careless. And now I have to check my chain at least once every hour to make sure It’s still there around my neck.

2. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

hi
    i read your post and felt like telling you that you were lucky to get it back because people are never so genuine
    congrats
    let me share something with you
    i do value my mangalsutra very much
    like in andhra we have a different sort of mangalsutra and not like northindians we wear a black beads chain and a gold chain with thali ( mangalsutra)
    ...this happend around 18 yrs back on our first wedding aniv i was searching my cupboard for my black beads chain (which is the first gift my husband has given to me and its very precious for me )and it was not to be found i saw a cloth which our servant uses to dust in my cupboard and i just forgot it and that led me to find the theif the servant who stole it and it was regained back after giving him lite tharshings and warnings for sending him to jail
    even today its my precious gift
    radha

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Radha,
    My mom also had a similar experience, her black beaded chain was missing and the only people in the home was herself and our maid.She searched everywhere and didnt find it. So she asked our maid in a very nice way whether she has seen it, but as soon as she was asked she became nervous and said she has not seen it at all.This made my mom suspicious and made her swear infront of Lord Krishna[My mom is such a stern believer in Krishna and did warn her if she did steal and yet if she swear she would have to regret it].After few days something very tragic heppened to her(till we are not sure was its coz she had stolen it and still sweared or not).After this incident the maid stopped coming to our home abruptly and once when we were sorting out good clothes from the old ones to donate my sis found the chain in one of my dad's old worn out pants!!!! Still it's a mystery how it came in there:idontgetit:

4. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Dear amihere,
    Even i am partial to managalasutra.But i give more importance to the relationship than the chain.Only mom gets angry if i remove it to wear some trendy jewelry for functions and such .
    vijji

5. radhavj

radhavj Senior IL'ite

Mangalsutra is too too important fro me now . Its tied at the most auspicious time(muhurtam) that suits both the bride&the groom horoscopes& with the blessings of your near&dear ones, the bond, relationship&the committment begins with this between the 2 ...
    when i got married it didn't give me any meaning...but now i'm very particular about it....
    good you got it back!!it carries a lot of sentiment with it right???

6. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Radha
    Yeah it do carry a lot of sentiment ,especially after getting it back.

7. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I agree , i value it too a lot, especially after loosing it. I used to remove the chain when i wanted to wear trendy jewelleries. But once i lost it, don't remember where i kept it. My DH was upset too, till my mom stepped in and got another one and laid it before God and wore.
    Now i will not remove it to match my clothes, what ever i wear i still wear it.
    So i can understand how you felt when you lost it and regained. God bless you.
    Jaya

8. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

I might sound wayyyyyy off the line when I say that to me real love and respect lies within ourselves. Do not intend to hurt anybody's beliefs. When we get married, we promise to fulfill certain duties/responsibilites etc together. That does not change ever. The chain could just be a symbol that you are married, just like how some north Indians have sindoor. But not wearing sindoor or mangalsutra does not sever any thing. You still remain
    husband and wife no matter what.

9. RadhaG

RadhaG Senior IL'ite

Hi Ami

I am very particular about not taking out my mangalasutra. But my husband tries his best to persuade me NOT to wear it when I am wearing western outfits! I frankly dont care what outfit I wear, as I feel the mangalasutra is a part of me :)

He feels when he is right in front of me, why do I have to wear a symbol of my marital status! I am gradually giving in....

Radha

10. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sree yeah its ofcourse our own choice whether to wear it or not and also how much we value it:) Though I value it a lot I sometimes forget to wear it because I remove the chain whenever I go to bed.
    Wow!! Radha your DH really is great,I have friends ,guys,who though are so modern in thoughts want their wives to wear mangalsutra and rings on which their name is engraved!!