MBA part time in USA

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by rosegirl, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Rosegirl, I did my MBA in the US while working full-time. I finished in about 2.5 years. It is hard, requires a lot of dedication but very much doable.

I also want to clarify - usually a part-time MBA only means that the classes are during evenings/weekends. The curriculum, no. of credits etc are exactly the same as that of full-time MBA and the degree awarded is the same.

EMBA is like a crash course MBA and you need to have 10 or more years of experience to be eligible, I believe.

Personally, I wouldn't go near a course/program that says "No GMAT". A lot of value from the MBA program is based on its "brand equity" and student pool - good programs pride themselves on the exclusivity of selection process (which in turn leads to your peer student group that you build networks with). In order to ensure this, you need to have GMAT and other stringent criteria. It is not all that hard, just study for 2-3 weeks.

2. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Pavarun,
    I was also in the same mindset. I am preparing for PMP and once I finish that my next goal is GMAT and then MBA.

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Good Luck with everything! I'm sure you'll come back and give us good news!

4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

PAV Dear

I have a question..How did you manage paying up those huge sums of fee??? because I agree both full time and part time are having the same fee structure...and curriculum, just the hours of instruction are different...if we are not on F1 visa we dont get aid / funding...any thoughts/suggestions on this??

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

My employer pays part of it - $5250 every year, so I was able to spread it over 4 calendar years to maximize the benefits (started in fall of one year and finished the fourth year spring). Rest I paid myself.

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

MS/MBA in US

Hi Friends,

I am seeking some information on courses for MS/MBA in HR management. I am an Engg graduate with 4 years exp, in IT industry. I am currently on h4 and am a state resident of my state (in another 2 months). I plan to take up GMAT soon. I'm already preparing. Also, i am interested in taking up teaching courses. not able to decide between the two:hide:. anyway, the question i have are:

1. Do community colleges have courses worth taking - up?
    I have some idea on these colleges.However, i wanted to clarify,incase i decide to invest in it. How about jobs/work permit once we complete courses from community colleges.

2. does anyone have an idea what the fee will be?

I know that this is dependent on the course/college etc. But, i am looking at a very rough figure(i will be a resident of my state when i apply).

3. what is the difference between full time and part time courses?
    will it affect job prospects?

4. when do majority of the courses start and what are the application deadline dates?

Any kind of info, will be useful to me:)
    thanks
    neha S

7. sudha80

sudha80 New IL'ite

Re: MS/MBA in US

Hi Neha,

I found your post,and just wanted to know if you found answers to all your questions
    as iam planning to take GMAT in coming months.
    Could you share me your responses as well?

Thanks
    Sudha

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Re: MS/MBA in US

Hi sudha,
    I have got a good amout of info.Please let me (and others in IL) know any specific questions,if you have. We can try to answer them.I have another thread. It has some good info on MS. I do not know much about MBA. Seems a very expensive option to me,unless employer is ready to sponsor it or pay partially.
    good luck