1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

MBA part time in USA

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by rosegirl, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Anyone has done MBA in USA part time ?
    I want a good reputed University which offers that. Also is GMAT and TOEFFL mandatory for part time MBA.
    Please help

2. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Hey Rose,

Part-time MBA is hard, but is doable.
    You can take some courses online so you don't have to "go" to school everyday.

GMAT is mandatory, TOFEL depends I think. I know all international students must take the TOFEL, not sure of your status, so it may or may not be applicable to you.

And the reputation of the school is important, but also look into the type of tracks they offer and what field most of their graduates go into as well.

Best!

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

4. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the response guys.
    I looked at some local colleges and they require GMAT and TOFFEL. I am in EAD status. My friend said that University of Phoenix requires no GMAT and TOFFEL. is that true ?

5. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Srividya ... that thread was for MBA in India ...
    This is for MBA in USA...

6. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

If you want to get the best bang for spending time to do a MBA then you do need good GMAT score, work experience and recos. You can attend the orientation sessions to find out more. I don't feel its worth spending time and money to do MBA for not so good univs. It really does not buy any mileage in building your career.

Kavya.

7. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Hi rosegirl,

GMAT is important to get admission for MBA in good colleges. There are many universities giving admission without taking GMAT score into account but just think of the university standard.

Also, if you are not a green card holder and gonna change your status to F1 for study, it is always better to have GMAT score to get through the visa process.

8. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Thanks for the inputs. My plight is I have a full time job and want to do MBA part time or long distance with weekly evening classes or weekend classes. So I wont be doing it as a student, but the Executive MBA category.

I heard University of Phoenix is good and does not require GMAT.. is it true ?

9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Here is the thing...

I have heard from lot of employers and recruiters that they prefer you to get a degree from a school you actually go to in person (i.e. not all online). However with that being said, my dh's boss's boss has her MBA from University of Phoenix and she's doing really well in her career. So, I don't want to say 'which' is better. I'm doing my MBA the traditional way by attending class. But sometimes even traditional schools offer some online classes that fit into the program. You might want to look into that.

GMAT is important and most GOOD schools require it. I took it back in November with one week of study time and got a 650. It's not impossible to do well on the test, so don't put it off thinking it's something terrible. Just do some studying and get it done.

Most programs allow you to go at your own pace, but usually have a deadline, like 'must graduate in 5 years'. That means you could take 1 or 2 classes a semester and still finish on time. I'm in a regular MBA program and ALL my classes so far have been held in the evening, because most of the people in the program are working professionals. It all depends on the school and the set up they have. Your best bet would be to get info on at least 4-5 different schools and then compare what works best for you. Ask your collegues what they think of the differen't schools reputations if you are unfamiliar. Or post some names here and I'm sure some of us would be able to give you an opinion on the schools.

Good luck!

10. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

thanks guys,
    I am thinking of University of San franciso, Berkeley and Cal state university.
    Also the University of Phoenix..