1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Maya Bazaar revisited!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 25, 2015.

1. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

sir , see it emphasizes about me not qualified enough to make any comment .
    thank you for the clarification .

2. RPVAIL

RPVAIL Silver IL'ite

The scene you are referring to '...playing of veena..' is from the film Bhookailas. This is a Telugu film.

Interesting topic on one of my all-time favorite movie 'Mayabazaar'. With this movie as with lots of others it is not even nostalgia because having seen it in childhood never stayed too far from it. Seen it may be 50 times!

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear RPVAIL
    Thanks a lot for stepping in to give further clarification on dear stillwaters's question. I have not seen this movie Bhookailas and I read a synopsis of it just now. Two versions were released, one in 1940 and the other in 1956. It is an awesome folklore of Ravana's youth which portrays his love and respect for his mother and for his wife Mandodri. Reading this folklore, I got the impression that if the gods had not messed up with his penance to fulfil his mother's wish, he would have remained a good person.
    Sri

4. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri Uncle,

Welcome back to the world of writing. :thumbsup

Maya bazaar is a favorite 'old movie' of my family. I have this movie on a video cassette (remember that rectangle black box with tape inside?) which is sure to acquire the status of a priced antique in the coming decades.

On cold nights when all other entertainment fails them, my children will join me on the couch to watch the antics of dear Gadodgajan and we would loudly sing along with him as he gobbled up massive plates of food with relish. 'Kalyana samayal sadam' is a timeless classic indeed. :cheers

Many times in life, I have felt a kinship with Abimanyu. No one else understands the trouble he had with Padmavyuga more than me, I am sure. Every time, I started cooking after reading only 'half' of a recipe; every time I had a navigate back home blind from a far away downtown address because I forgot to print the return part of the google map directions; every time I greet a 'hindi' speaking neighbor with a big-toothed 'namaste' only to listen to 10 minutes of jibber-jabber - I silently tell Abimanyu - "I get it man". :wink:

5 people like this.
  5. Vittala

Vittala Gold IL'ite

Dearest Cheeniya Sir,
    If I have one reason, infact only ever reason for welcoming the scorching sun in our place, it would be because, we can read more rambles from you now on, with the sun melting the writer's block of yours.. :) Thank you so much for this ramble, Sir. My heartfelt thanks to the friend of yours,who was an instrument in helping us enjoy this nectar.

And as far as Abhimanyu and Padmavyuha, even as a kid, one character that I used to feel easily connected to when I used to hear tales of Ramayana and Mahabharata from my grandma,was Abhimanyu. Little did I know then, the reason behind. And now, you know Sir, I can't even list down the number of times, I have felt "Ah! I get it now".

--Appu

6. Cheeniya

My dear Meena
    You call it 'the world of writing' and it may be appropriate for a writer of your versatility but for me it is a 'thikku theriyatha kaadu'! As I sit and type out my response to your wonderful FB, my left eye is on the TV watching the India-Australia match and the right on the PC watching what I type with my index finger. The match is in a pretty hopeless state now and the Indian fans are already wearing a mournful look and it will require all the sorcery and cunning of Gadothgajan to pull India out of trouble. Suffice it to say the Indian team have got themselves into a Padmavyuha!

The first lesson my dad taught me when I was just picking up the nuances of varied vocabulary was that I should never greet a stranger who spoke an alien language in his language. 'He would stick to you like a leech' he would warn me. Probably your early education did not include this essential warning.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

My dear Appu
    That is the warmest greeting I have received on my resumption of my Rambling! Thank you, my dear. To tell you the truth, rambling may appear like mindless gibberish but it requires more planning than sensible copy writing. If you are a fan of PG Wodehouse like me, you must read his Performing Flea. You will understand from that book how much trouble he took to conceive all those seemingly repetitive comic scenes. For his readers, all those scenes may appear like off-the-cuff text but they were all delivered after a lot of labour pain! Same is the situation with me!

Having said that, I must tell you that I find it easier to ramble as I age as my mind slips out of control quite often and that makes my job of rambling very easy! Coming to Abhimanyu, we all feel related to each other when we face the kind of dilemma he faced. We can say that he is the father of the 'Vasudeva Kutumbakam'!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    I AM glad I decided to heed our good friend’s advise and peep into IL today. I know what you mean. While it may be the writer’s block for you, I seem to have developed an IL block…for NO particular reason. I am just happy dwelling on the good times that we all had here, instead of taking steps to continue that fun and bonding. Anyway, I am sure that my friends here know how much they mean to me so will just let me be.
    Always glad to read your posts and the title (and the writer :)) did bring me here first. Mayabazaar is my mom’s favourite movie starring her fav heroine Savithri and I remember her cajoling us to watch it with her on tv.

Btw, If you are ever stuck for a topic, the MB is always a safe bet. The epic has umpteen characters and situations, open to different interpretations that never make it dull. We could probably have a sub forum on posts relating only to this mighty epic. And I might learn a lot from them and the fbs of our good writers.:)

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

My dear Mindi
    What a delight it is to see you here after an eternity! I understand your IL block. A few other old timers have also told me about it. And strangely no one seems to have any specific reason for not frequenting IL as before! I am extremely happy to see you back here even though it may be just for a fleeting moment!

Maya Bazaar created a big impact on our minds when it was first released. It had all the ingredients of good cinema. Savithri was fabulous as the female version of Gatothgajan in the movie. The utter femininity while essaying her role as Vathsala was such a contrast to her masculine trait when she played the Asura King. There are hardly any in the modern cinema to match her competence.

You are so right about the great epic MB. Once the famous writer Sujatha told me that there could be no story that did not bear a resemblance to some character or incident of MB. He told me this when we were discussing the Tamil movie 'Thalapathi'
    Sri

10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    In today's Hindu there is review of Mayabazar film in the section Blast from the Past. Generally very old films are reviewed under that section. Excellent review. Wrote about Marcus Bartley about his excellence as veteran lenseman. The whole article is very very good.
    Those who have not seen the film can go through it . He also said that five years back it was converted into colour movie...effort was laudable but soul was missing.
    Syamala