1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Maya Bazaar revisited!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Of course you knew I would turn :oops: with embarrassment but sir, I have to tell you that it was totally for a different reason. I thought I had not addressed you as 'sir' - that would be so horrible for me personally as I only have utmost respect for you. I did go back twice to check and could not spot the error :hide: But then read you again and there! As for the spelling sir, you very well know it is a typo but it did bring a smile for I know how sharp you are and how quickly you spotted while I was going back and forth! Please accept my apologies for the error. As for the movie, may be I will search online. If I had seen your ramble while in India, perhaps I would have made an effort to grab a copy however hard!

1 person likes this.
  2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    I am sure Maya Bazar DVD or CD in any Indian stores in USA...look for it Telugu or Tamil movie section. You can understand Telugu also, I guess. Every Telugu family in your vicinity must be having that DVD, I am sure. Try. After watching it let me know how you like it. You can ask your children also to watch with you....They would definitely like it, especially the song "Vivahabhojanambu" by S.V Ranga Rao (Tamil it is "Kalayana...." song).
    Digression....Sorry Cheeniya sir.
    We were in Dallas for sometime. I used to go for a walk and used to see a lady daily. After sometime conversation struck. She took me to her house nearby.....in their living room there was a photo of S.V. Ranga rao. Thought she is his fan. When I was staring at the picture she told "He is my dad, S.V. Ranga Rao is my dad!"
    Enjoy the movie.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Of course it has to be Telugu Syamala. I understand it way better than Tamil - may be I can buy it online. Even better is reaching out to Telugu friends. My son loves to learn languages, so I am sure he will enjoy it while DD while complain. Now I am all excited about watching the movie, thanks to you.

It must have been such a lovely moment for you when you realized you met the daughter no?

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Buddy sir!

How very nice...A Ramble after such a long time and with a title that included Maya Bazaar in it! No wonder it did a maya and didn't appear to my eyes till yesterday. But then, I faced another problem. How do I get out of the padmavyuham that seems to surround me..my samsara vyuham! It seems I am a very highly wanted person in my family and even for my friends! I am so encircled by them that I didn't know how and when I could break away and find the opening path! I did and who cares what time the clock shows so late in the night. If the mighty Cheeniya writes, I am 'hazir hoon'!

It is nice to know that you were a friend of the camera wiz Marcus Bartley! Both Chemeen and Maya Bazar are great movies and will remain classics forever. Me too...a huge fan of Maya Bazaar! I can sing every single song from that movie..Telugu version!! Ofcourse our Shyamala does one better on me for she even knows the dialogues! Oh, a word to our friend Srama....The full length movie of Maya Bazaar in its updated color version is ready to view on Youtube!! So Saby, please see it as soon as possible!!

Cheensaar, did you talk about some writer's block? May I gently chide you about misleading us? You cannot have a writer's block as per your own admission you are not a writer and are a rambler! So, we don't ask you to write but to just ramble on and on for that's what we want and look forward to eagerly! Besides, what's in a name..a rose smells just as sweet by any name said the bard!

I first heard about Madhorubagan as its review by Balajee got nominated just recently. Now I know the story behind this, thanks to you. Sad that so much censorship is going on in our country, be it in regard to a book, movie or documentary. Well, like you said earlier, I too like to keep my thoughts to myself especially in controversial matters. All the same, I hope that no one's artistic interests are tampered with.

As for us, we give you a big green signal. Please do not stop. Winter has come to an end, we want to read more from you!!

L, Kamla

5 people like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear buddy Kamla
    I feel sad that all the veterans connected with this wonderful movie like Ranga Rao, NTR, Nageswar Rao(Gemini Ganesh in Tamil), Savithri, Ghantasala, Marcus Bartley are all dead now. It is incredible that the picture was made at a total cost of Rs.2 lakhs! As you rightly say, the film had some lilting songs though I find it difficult to guess how lilting they are when you sing them! I concede that you have a voice nice enough to complement the singing of Ghantasala! I am a great fan of Ghantasala despite the fact that no one massacred the Tamil language as he did! I am happy that SPB is making a lot of amends to that murder.

The kind of Padmavyuha you have got yourself into is something that you would be unwilling to get out even if all of them lined up on either side offering you a completely safe passage out. I know how much you love your Padmavyuha! This is a subject matter that I discuss very often with a close common friend of ours. She says she cannot agree with me more!

You are perhaps right there. While Writer's Block is very common these days, no one talks of a Rambler's Block. Rambling is interminable merely because a rambler does not have to make any sense. Thanks for all the good things you say about this rambler!

Madhorubagan is a sad comment on the recent spate of moral policing. Who gave these people such sweeping powers? There is a good article written by Romila Thapar in today's Hindu about the sad plight of Perumal Murugan. The Editor's highlight of the article goes like this: 'To write about an activity that was current in the pastis not an endorsement of what is today, contrary to contemporary law!' How I wish I could write a sentence like that! Mind-boggling indeed!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

How did I miss this one? Have been thinking for a long while now that we have not got to read anything from your table. My heartfelt thanks to that friend who inquired about your writer's block.

Now see what a "rambling" written in a state of block can do. :Hide: This is the first time I have heard about this movie and shall now make it a point to watch it on youtube. Looking forward to listening to all the melodious songs all of you have so heartily endorsed.

Good to see you back sir. I wonder if we can do something to draw back all our favourite writers to this section. I really miss reading them. It is wonderful to have so many new writers, but it would be very nice to have the old ones back too. Just keep fingers crossed and hope for a miracle. :-D

2 people like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

You too Satchi have not seen Maya Bazar!!!! Is it sounding like "You too Brutus?". Please watch it as soon as possible. I like the song "Lahiri lahirilo" also a lot.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Dear Satchi
    I am amazed that you are hearing of Maya Bazaar for the first time in your life. People who are half your age have seen the movie a dozen times! Maybe you are not a movie buff. A friend of mine by name Randor Guy writes about vintage Tamil movies in every Sunday Hindu. It is a very interesting column that has me hooked. These are the movies that I stood in a long queue and watched when they were first released.

I fully agree with you that IL should endeavour to get back the favourite writers of the initial years of IL. They all made so much of difference to our lives.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  9. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya sir , mainly came in to just say hi to you.
    My knowledge of maya baazaar is only limited to the fact that all adults in my immediate as well as extended family are die hard fans. ( DURING MY CHILDHOOD DAYS ) So not qualified enough to make any comments .
    Is it the one in which ravan plays veena on his intestines to please shiva?
    Have heard about this scene so much but i have never known from which movie .

10. Cheeniya

My dear sw
    The episode you are referring to is from Ramayanam and the one I have written about is from Mahabharatham.
    The only common factor is that both are Epics of India! Ravana was a Siva Baktha. Abhimanyu was a devotee of Krishna.
    Sri