1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Maya Bazaar revisited!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 25, 2015.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya,

Actually you have given me an opportunity to convey what I felt.In Mahabharat we find many instances where Krishna stands as a culprit.
    Abhimanyu stands brilliant in Mahabharatha.
    Having known that Abhimanyu had a short life, why did Krishna allow his brother's daughter Vatsala's marriage with her?
    Before maya Bazaar was screened in 1956,this vatsala kalyanam was very famous in our village 'Kollaatta Jothra' ,annual festival of kolaattam by girls/women.In 1949-50
    My Amma used to compose funny songs in Tamil about the happenings in the palace during Ghatothkacha's disguise as Vatsala.We had been singing those songs-Revathi refusing to give her daughter Vatsala to Lakkana Kumaran and Balarama insisting on the wedding.This kolattam lasted for an hour.
    Then came Mayabazaar. My amma with her joint family chores didn't see the film and was contented with her own imaginary songs.
    Is it that Vyasa wanted some humour created out of Ghatotkacha?
    Another version says that Abhimanyu was actually overpowered by a rakshas when he was in Subadra's womb.
    After Subadra fell asleep, Krishna just started telling about coming out of Chakra Vyuha and the child in the womb started responding'mm-mm'- the sound which was audible to Krishna.
    Krishna sensed the imminent danger .He purposely kept quiet and never even made an attempt to teach the same to Abhimanyu throughout his stay with him.
    In this connection I am reminded of what Shri Velukkudi Krishnan replied when he was asked " what is the difference between Rama and Krishna?" during one of his discourses.

" Krishna affirmed that whatever he did was Dharma.
    But Rama did whatever was considered Dharma as per scriptures and whatever the general society considered as Dharma.Let us keep in mind what Krishna said in Geeta and follow Rama's footsteps alone in our life'
    Jayasala 42

2. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    At last, after a long time, because a dear friend of yours asked you whether you were still suffering from writers ' block, you put pen on paper ..... And loo! Words started flowing weaving a magic! It is better to be non-controversial and keep writing things that give pleasure to ordinary readers like us than writing for a few among the intelligentsia and getting entangled in controversies! Of course, it depends on the satisfaction that the writer derives!
    Coming to the subject matter of the thread, whatever you write, we come looking for it eagerly and you never fail to deliver! It is the innovative idea that matters. The way you inter-linked Abimanyu's story to your writing skills is amazing!
    Love
    Malathi

3 people like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala
    Abhimanyu is as much a tragic character of Mahabharatha as Karna is. It is quite ironical that Lord Krishna's actions in the cause of upholding Dharma accentuated the tragedy of these two lives. Velukkudi's answer to the most engaging question of our scriptures is rather over-simplistic. I attended a tree day spiritual conference last year at Trichur and the subject matter was the comparison of these two avatars of Rama and Krishna. All I can say was that no consensus was reached!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Malathi
    Thank you for your kind words. I have been writing here close to eight years and I have never touched a raw nerve with my posts! I am a thoroughbred pacifist and I select only such topics in which everyone can have something jolly good to say! And I must be honest here. I am not quite knowledgeable in controversial subjects. How can I ever write about something when I do not know how to take it along if people confront me with impeccable arguments? I am comfortable with my Rambling and I am happy that I am able to make a few happy with what I write.

Sorry if it sounded like patting my own back! I just wanted to share my feelings with you.
    Sri

2 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

You are the Role Model of many here and everyone feels happy to read your Ramblings. I was also thinking its a long time you have not written anything. You always combine something and give us a treat . All your Ramblings are thought provoking and you have so many admirers. Some may not give fb but there are so many views. I second to the fbs given by everyone as I cant narrate like them.

Your finger on the keyboard gives us such a treat to read. I have so muchto write but dont know how to narrate but still I try my best and thanks to IL that I am able to improve my English . You know how happy I feel when I get many fbs and feel on the top of theworld when someone nominates my thread.

I also love that son Kalyana Samayal Sadham from Maya Bazaar, the old movies where so good

2 people like this.
  6. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    Show me one sister for whom her elder brother is not a Role Model! I am happy to be your Role Model though you have not told me what am I a Role Model in. I am really surprised by your sharp memory! In appreciating my writing, you have said 'Your finger on the keyboard gives us such a treat to read'. Shows you have remembered that I am a single finger key board operator!

You may not have much to say by way of a FB but what little you say is full of love and affection. It is the warmth of your heart that has secured you such a huge following in IL. Keep it up, my dear sister.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. PriyaKathiravan

PriyaKathiravan Silver IL'ite

Sir, good to see , you have freed yourself from the chakravyuha of Writers block, after Perumal Murugan killed himself. Wise decision. Otherwise the reading public would have panicked that cheeniya too has been hounded into silence by the moral police / saffron brigade / Sahityaacademy / spousal censure for some real or imaginaty transgression. Big relief

Though you had no subject to write about and started with a blank mind, at least we got to know about your kinship with Marcus Bartley ( i had to google him to find out why chemmeen ranks high in southern film history ) . This is a nice devise you can bookmark for future use, that if you experience a block, just think of a big name you have met and you will have a ramble writing itself !

Mahabharatha throws up more questions than answers always. When the whole clan knew of the boy's incomplete education in the womb, why did the fathers and grandfathers , old enough to know better, allow him to enter the vyuha at all ? sheer desperation , misplaced hope or supine surrender to fate ? Poor boy.

Good read , sir, even though at the end of it, I still couldnt see how Marcus Bartley, Perumal Murugan and Abhimanyu are related to each other and to your writer's block . Perhaps I am only having a mental block .

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Oh Priya,
    There you are! As you have rightly said, the big names that I have encountered in my life are good enough to ensure a block-free writer's career for me but again as you have rightly pointed out, I do find myself at a loss in giving them all a reasonable connectivity so that my rambling does not appear disjointed. That is quite a task you know! These days I spend a lot of time to attempt a retrospect of my life's events so that I can establish a connection of the whole lot of them without losing sight of their individual merit.

Abhimanyu paid the price for his half knowledge of Padmavyuha and Perumal Murugan led himself into a Padmavyuha with his Mathorubhagan due his lack of knowledge of the social aversion to freedom of expression these days! The former had an end to his mortal life and the latter to his literary life, all thanks to PV. Marcus Bartley was just an association of idea to Abhimanyu. Yippee! I have given you something to mull about there to get off your mental block!

Mahabharata throws up more questions than answers so that guys like Maniratnam can cash on them! That supine surrender to fate applies to Lord Krishna too. Did he not surrender meekly to Gandhari's curse and just sat over the annihilation of Yadava Community?
    Sri

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Chenniya sir,

Like everyone else, I am also happy to read you again. But I have to tell you sir, you are fortunate than most others including me when it comes to this Padmavyuha stuff. You are in that situation only as far as writing is concerned. I could not help but chuckle thinking that I seem to know how to get into many situations knowingly or unknowingly and wondering about how to wiggle my way out only to realize that I am stuck! If you look in a broader perspective Krishna was very smart in telling us that we will get stuck in many such situations and was only warning us. Whether he was fair or not in not letting Abhimanyu understand how to get out, he has been fair enough to us ordinary mortals by introducing the philosophy and the philosophers of karma, destiny, meant to be and such good stuff so that we simply move on.

Coming back to you I have to be honest. I am trying hard to understand if writer's block is your padmavyuha or the fact that if you begin to write, you cannot stop rambling so much so that you stand a chance with the likes of Ekta Kappors is your vyuha. If it is the latter, let me be the first one to wish you a happy stay in that vyuha spinning out a ramble after ramble for us.

My dad was also a great fan of Maya Bazar and I cannot help but think of him spinning out those songs non stop for our entertainment on Sundays when we were kids while reading your thread. Perhaps it is time for me to actually see the movie. Knowing him, he might have made sure we have seen it but for the life of me I cannot remember except for one black and white song in the Telugu version.

10. Cheeniya

My dear Srama
    I really do not know who first came out with the expression 'Out of sight, out of mind' but it has turned out to be the most profound ever. Take you for example. We have remained incommunicado for close to three months now and what happens? You call me as Chenniya! Probably you had forgotten my name and just remembered that it had something to do with the city in which I lived!

Padmavyuha is no fun if it is going to be a kind of swivel door that automatically pushes you in and out! It should be like the mirrored room in which Bruce Lee takes on the mysterious Han. Through the Abhimanyu episode, Krishna just tells us that if you cannot start with minimum resources and successfully complete the job, then you are not worth your existence. All the fabulous rags to riches stories of the world invariably had very frugal resources to start with. If you read the fine print of Abhimanyu's story, you would find that the lad entered the vicious Circle with his fate firmly established in his psyche. He knew that he would end up as a martyr and not a winner.

I feel honoured by your comparing me with Ekta Kapoor. She is the greatest role model for all the ramblers of the World. I am just a nobody compared to her. Coming to the movie, Maya Bazaar, don't tell me you are yet to see it? How can you be so indifferent to something that made your dear dad supremely happy? Grab it today and see it! It has some extremely good songs too.
    Sri

1 person likes this.