1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Matters When Less Is More

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by bmaquarius, Apr 27, 2016.

1. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

Our mantra, education = academics = career success. Possibly because we were raised in the times of want so evaluations are made on scale of success. Everything else fell by the wayside. So I wasn't prepared for the guts or gumption of lesser folks without the decorative formal education. Sometimes, little vignettes from life can prove heartwarming on looking back.

Other day with great difficulty, I managed to hail an auto rickshaw to drop me to my place from the main road. The driver agreed grudgingly because the approach to my place from the main street was in bad shape. Actually, there is no approach at all, just ground levelled with some mud and rubble. Every monsoon the water washes away the mud and we're left with nothing but bumpy rides, so drivers don't venture our way. After the rains the municipal authorities throw some mud into the pot holes and lo! We have a road again. Now, why don't we do anything since last 25 years? Frankly, nobody gives a damn, once we're into our homes. We are cocooned in our world.

Now as we reached the approach, I was afraid of the driver's tantrums, if, in a nasty mood I'm likely to be dropped at the end of main street, with no alternative, but, trudge my way through the stretch in darkness, without any street lights, which could get risky at times with unsavoury characters lurking in the dark.

Once outside this stretch, lies a brightly lit township with spiralling towers, temples, schools and market, but why the approach is so woefully neglected is something we never know.

The driver appeared charitable enough to drive on saying, “Why don't you society people do something about this dreadful stretch, instead of living with it, solving the ordeal once and for all? At this point, I didn't know what I was getting into and casually said that nobody has the time for it. Reply from this simple man was profound. He said, “ Madam if you are ill don't you make time to see the doctor? Why? Because, it's important for you. You attend to things urgent and important enough for you. So, either this not important or you don't consider it so, like many others. Therefore, you people despite shelling a fortune buying a house, did not bother for a simple road in last two decades. If twenty women from your locality decided to gherao the local MLA or municipal office until you get an assurance and work done, you would have a pucca street by now. Sarkar auraton ki sunte hai,aap log hi kuch nahi karte, yahi problem hai ( women's voice is heard by those in power, you people don't do anything about it, that's the problem)”, he added. This left me red faced. True, in the slums close by any water supply cut, electricity failure or slum demolition drive, the people are quick to hit the streets, march off to the municipal office, gherao their local MLA, and all actions swift, till normalcy restored. We women meet for kitties, parties and club socials, but never ever felt strongly enough to take this issue head on other than grumble about the builder's, local MLA and municipality’s neglect. All our snobbery and snoot are a disservice when it comes to brass tacks. We don't have the nerve to do anything constructive to correct the situation. Apathetic, till someone somewhere does something, we hope.

Amica, jskls, kaniths and 2 others like this.

2. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

This is so true and the simple fact. Thank you for reminding. In this busy word as we all like to quote often, we always say that we do not have time for checking on a family member/friend, help some one in need or do something for your personal development. My personal experience, if I have the desire to achieve or do something, if I set my mind then no matter how busy I am , I will always find the time to do it. It is all mind over matter isn't it?
    Thanks again:)

kaniths and bmaquarius like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I perfectly agree with the rickshawwalla's reasoning. However, there is a difference. When people from that section of society create a hue and cry or gherao an MLA, the latter is forced to listen due to his political ambitions. How many politicians bother about what the so-called 'educated middle class' has to say about anything? Women being listened to? That is a joke! Apart of course from the fact that women are busy running errands for the home, playing cook, housekeeper, driver for the kids, raking in the moolah. How many would have the time to chase politicians?

To tell you the truth, here in our society, we are trying to get rid of one pile of garbage outside which has been there for 4 months. We need to chase a corporator for that, then find a minister who has the time of day to listen to us when we are not at work ...... So much bureaucracy to get a pile of rubbish cleaned up.

The rains are not far away and the setting is rife for a plague.

bmaquarius likes this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

So true, @bmaquarius! We always make time for the things we consider important. :thumbsup:

@satchitananda, I hope your complaints do the trick. I remember the garbage piles all too well. :(

shobhamma and bmaquarius like this.