Maternity wear in Chennai

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by wino, Jan 27, 2012.

1. wino

wino New IL'ite

Hi All

I am planning to start a new line of some trendy maternity casuals like T-shirts and tops.. Do you think it will do well in the Chennai market?

I hardly saw any shops that sold affordable maternity wear in Chennai ( everything above Rs. 500) and that really prompted me to think of starting something that a pregnant woman can simply put on comfortably and not have to worry about spending a fortune?

What do you ladies think?

2. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Hi wino,

I agree that there are not many maternity wear shops in Chennai and the ones that are there cost a bomb.
    But one thing is, we must understand how many ladies in Chennai would still prefer to wear T shirts or tops during their pregnancy?
    I feel majority of the women folk in Chennai would prefer wearing Salwars during pregnancy so the takers may be less.
    But you can try doing an online sale or focus on some areas in Chennai where you can find more people wearing western clothes and try focusing there.
    You can even try to get a contract with a big outlet like Lifestyle or StyleOne etc where you can expect more people to buy such clothes.
    All the Best!

3. wino

wino New IL'ite

Thats useful information. Thanks a lot!. Yes I agree that salwars will be the mainstay of women during pregnancy. T-shirts is a good alternative for working women who want to slip into something comfortable when they get back from work or when they go out to a park or for travel. They can just wear it over pyjamas, or skirts or leggings.. A smaller market , no doubt!!!.. I think I will need to work out more inclusions to my line :)