1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Marrying a GC guy

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by MaliniHari, Jun 24, 2015.

1. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

My cousin is getting married to a guy who has a GC. How long would it take to get her a GC? Any clue?

thanks

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes it moves fast and sometimes it is slow, as soon as they get marry, her dh has to start the process, so that they can get her GC fast. 1 -2 years time definitely it takes. Also I advice to apply the GC through immigration lawer, it would be done by the petitioner, that is her DH.

It is long waiting time, but that is how the process is. She can't apply to US visitor visa etc , when her GC is in process.

There will be lot of questions like can she join him by applying student visa , when the GC is processing... etc, which can be answered by immigration lawyer.

You will know once I - 130 is filed under F2A category, what would be her priority date. There are few websites where you can register and follow others to see how the process is moving for others who are ahead of the lane for GC.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The visa bulletin issued by the US State Department lists the priority dates for family and employment based green cards. She would be eligible for the F2A category, which currently has a PD of Nov 2013. So if she files now, it will take her at least 1-2 years to get her GC, unless things speed up. In the meantime if her spouse gets US citizenship her case will get upgraded and she will have more benefits.
    If she marries a green card holder while she is in India the only way for her to come to the US while her case is processing is to get her own H1 or L visa. She will automatically become ineligible for tourist or student visa, since these are non-immigrant and they cannot be given while someone has a pending GC application.
    It is better to talk to an immigration lawyer before marriage to see what the best options are.

4. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Sorry all for the delayed response and thanks for your help. Let me talk to an immigration lawyer soon. Thanks again.