1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Married Filing Taxes Seperately

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Independentgal, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Independentgal

Independentgal Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I need some suggestions about filing taxes seperately in USA while still being married.
    Me and my husband have lot of issues in our marriage.I am together only because of the kids.
    However he tried to take advantage of my situation emotionally and financially.He doesn’t share any of his financial details regarding his money in job,business etc.But I have to give half of my salary to him.He doesn’t contribute as much as I do.
    I don’t know any details about our tax returns being filing jointly.He does it and doesn’t tell me any details nor gives me any refunds.Right thing to do is even if he doesn’t give me any refunds of my taxes ,he should share details about taxes.Who knows if he is doing some fraud business and Since we are filing jointly I will also be held responsible if there is audit.
    This year I have decided to file my taxes seperately while still staying in the marriage.Can anyone who is in my situation or have any idea about this give me suggestions of how the process works and any details ?Any information is really appreciated.

2. kumudh31

kumudh31 Gold IL'ite

Hi friend,
    I can able to understand your frustration. I have few years of experience as seasonal tax preparer. If your dh files the tax return jointly with you then you must read and sign the return both for efiling or paper copy. If he is not doing that inform him and file separately. For that also both of you need your personal details and some basic informations like what kind of deductions you're going to claim. Only minus point is you can't claim some credits as MFS as it is least favored tax status but you will have your peace of mind. Good luck

3. Independentgal

Thank you so much for your quick response.Can I do it directly online or would you suggest me going to a tax consultant?
    Also for fy 2018 what would be the cut off date to file taxes?

4. kumudh31

kumudh31 Gold IL'ite

If you have a tax software you can able to file your tax return online. But if you go to a tax preparation service they will help you with any questions and since you may not able to save much in separate filing they may give you some tips to help and most of them charge reasonably.

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

You are responsible for your tax return. Instead of creating an issue , be smart and explore where he keeps all tax documents. Generally, everyone should have a backup of atleast five years of tax return. Next, explore, how he do that. Is it by himself using a software or by the help if others? Can you find tax return in home PC. If you cannot find it, ask him for a copy of last years tax return for some official reasons( be creative) if he dont give it directly to you.

If you can find last years tax return , you will be able check what his income is and your total income is. If your income is only 40%. for example, then contribute only 40% of total expenses. That's another issue.

This year dont give your w2 to him. Demand him that you want to be present while filing tax and demand a copy of it. If he dont agree, then go for next option. Be firm this time.You can file easily using software (example,turbotax) or by consulting someone, but they may charge more. You can explore other options in your working place. Know your rights and fight for it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

If you know the social security number and the legal name of your husband (the one that is legal, used in the Tax Filing), you can order copies of your past tax returns, or just the transcript summaries (total income, tax paid etc.) and look at them. Only the cost is different between a full copy and a transcript.
    Read this page: Copy of Past Tax Return

As has been explained to you already, you need the confidence and cooperation of your husband in tax matters. Once you have lost it, you need a divorce, with court ordered decisions on child custody, and support. Consult a divorce lawyer in your area.

Married filing separately is usually a good practice when one spouse is a non-resident Alien, or even a resident one when s/he is on a temporary visa, and not required to file a US tax return. This situation arises when the alien spouse has a lot of foreign assets (bank accounts, income-generating assets etc..) that do not need to be co-mingled with the US employed, US-resident spouse. [details of this are available in the instructions on "who needs to file a tax return in USA" at the IRS website.]

7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You need to be absolutely sure that husband will not file jointly while you are trying to file seperately

You need to make it clear to him first before taking any other access.

I think you can get tax statements using your own SSN from IRS. Call thier number , it is quite easy

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If your tax returns are simple, that is just income from jobs and you don't have complicated investments, rental properties or income in multiple states then you can file easily with a program like Turbo Tax. Check the IRS deadline for filing taxes. It is always in mid-April but the exact date varies each year.
    If you are getting a refund then file as soon as you get your W-2.

9. Independentgal

I did went online and got previous years tax return from IRS website.His income in job is way higher than what he told me initially few yrs back.Those documents are very confusing.He doesn’t know that I found them.I did everything that you suggested to ask him share the financial information.He uses a personal laptop and doesn’t share the Password with me.I think he goes to a tax consultant to file taxes.He doesn’t take my signature for taxes.
    He doesn’t ask my w2 because he doesn’t want me to question his.He uses my initial job salary to file taxes

10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Quite worrisome when US Tax returns are filed without your knowledge, or without any financial information (W2 has income as well as tax-withholding amounts) .
    Tax fraud is punishable by fines as well as jail time.
    OP needs a divorce lawyer.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018