1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Married But Feel Like A Single Parent.. Is This The Norm?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by momsky, Jun 15, 2016.

1. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I need to vent out. Lately, I feel like a ticking time bomb everytime my husband is around. He irritates me and sometimes I wish he should just pack his belongings and never come back.

Ours was a love marriage and will be 13 years next month. We have three children ages 12, 9, and 8. We moved to Canada in 2007 and I gave birth to my daughter a year later. He also worked for a very good company and met new friends. Soon after the birth, I found out he cheated on me during my pregnancy which led to me confronting him and him strangling me. My eldest who was 3 1/2 year old then, hit him with a baseball bat and said "don't hurt my mommy".

Anyways, my children were so young and I was jobless and had nowhere to go so no choice but to reconcile. I knew my dad would have helped me financially but I also know my hubby will be harmed if he comes back to India. When my daughter was a year old, i took a part-time job in the weekend but he did not like me working so in order to get back at me, he took care of his children irresponsibly. My eldest fell on the stairs, my second son fell from the kitchen counter, etc. My children literally ran/crawl towards me when I got home. After two weekends, I quit.

My children and I should have left him then because I think karma got to him. Between 2009-2012, he lost a lot of money in investments, lost his job, lost our house, his new friends. I'm the only one who did not leave him yet he physically and verbally abused me. He would hit me on the head so that no sign of bruise will be seen. He made mistake one time and his older sister found this out when she made a surprised visit. She scolded him and told him he's nothing without me.

Fast forward, so many things changed in a short span of time. He got into another good company, promoted to a senior position... we also live in huge house, thanks to my dad- i never badmouthed my husband to anyone except here in IL, so dad thinks he's such a great guy. For myself, I drop/pickup the kids to school, taekwondo, cricket, soccer, dance, art, and language classes. None of my children's teachers have ever seen him. Every school events, birthday parties, competitions, etc, none of the other parents have seen my husband. He

I taught the kids on how to bike, rollerblades, swim, took them to the movies, and US visits all by myself. He criticizes his two sons for not being good in basketball because apparently, he's so good at it. My two boys are polite not to talk back to him but I'm the one who gets upset because he never took the time to teach them. Can you guys believe he took a two week off just so he can watch the games between Golden State and Cavaliers LIVE????!!! I am so pissed but my children doesn't know. I told them their dad is on a business trip. When he's home, he likes to lock himself in his office/library the whole day and would only come out to eat, then go back again to his world, then come out again to say goodnight to the kids.

My two sons also needed alot of help academically when they were younger. He was not interested in helping them because "things happen for a reason". I did not listen and persevered in getting extra help for them like speech, occupational, vitamin therapy, weekly meeting with my boys' teachers, doctors, etc.

I'm so tired. I don't have any friends, I only talk to other school moms and senior neighbours who always want to know the products i use on my children, their diet, etc..

I'm only 34 and I can't imagine living with him in this kind of life in the next 30-40 years. Since I never badmouth him, I'm pretty sure I'm the one who will be criticized if I ever separated from him. Before marriage, I was considered an independent, modern, party kind of girl. Growing up, my dad was always away on business trips too but gave 100% of his time when he's at home- made breakfast, spoonfed me when I was sick in bed, etc...

sigh.... sometimes, i don't know what made me fall in love with my husband... i love my in-laws, my 5 sils regularly checks up on me if i'm okay... hubby only acts like a perfect husband when around in-laws and his company friends.. helping me in the kitchen, bringing me a drink like i'm some sort of boss, calling me honey, etc....

Dad said marriage is not about soulmates but about compromising... but i don't know now, i think i've lost all my feelings and respect for my husband.. i can only cry when nobody's around in the house. I think I deserve to be happy with my kids alone.

2. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

First and Foremost i salute your bravery of taking care of 3 kids on your own with husband like that. He even cheated on you and you never badmouthed him to anyone. I only see one reason behind all this,you not being financially independent , you took all his crap for the sake of kids/society/your father. What about now ? Are you working now ? If not i would advice you to try to look for job,your kids are grown up ,may be not enough to understand problem with dad and mum but good enough to see reason behind their mum being sad. If you are not getting anything out of this relation , your kids are getting attention of dad when they need , whats the point staying together ?

drdiva, monkatpeace87, PRM575 and 2 others like this.
  3. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Nothing warrants abuse. Whether it be a love marriage, a kids situation or your domicile country.

If he raises the hand, take the kids and go your own way.

But yeah. He sounds like a peach. What did you see in him?

vaidehi71 and momsky like this.
  4. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Thank @SadMarried, I asked myself the same thing. I would have left him ages ago if it weren't for my children. I guess my pride played a role too. I did not want my parents to think I've made a wrong decision. Mom and I already had a strained relationship since young and my dad was the only supportive one with the marriage decision. Had I gone back to them, I'm pretty sure it would have cause a rift between them.

Financially, I'm ok (investments) but still not enough to maintain the current expenses. The house is under my dad's name. I keep telling myself to wait 'til my children finish university.

5. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

He was good guy before and he looked like Ajay Devgan. I don't know what happened. He always want to prove he's better than me careerwise. Now that I'm practically hopeless in getting a good job, he uses it against me.

6. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

WOW! I am truly impressed how much you have gone through in life at a young age, I am very sorry that you have to face these things with one person who promised to be with you. I know culturally Indian women is not supposed to complain about her husband to her relatives, children and practically make the husband be next to GOD to the whole world and I think you have done an excellent job. I understand with children everything becomes thrice complicated.
    First- try marriage counseling. It will help you to resolve some problem, Can make your husband realize that you have been doing a lot for the family and can give him space to tell his feelings.
    Second- Think inwardly are you ready to be alone without parents/ husband support. Are you financially fit, what percentage can you take care of yourself and children?
    Third-Talk to your parents about things you have had to suffer quietly and tell them you can't take it anymore. Convince your parents, even if they think you are doing the wrong thing in your life, give them assurance that, you have taken enough pain and suffering to be in this position. Indian women get abused even though we live in 21st Century and parents are the first one who stop supporting once they hear the word Divorce and blame everything on women (If your parents don't support you... are you still ready to take your stand?)
    Fourth-
    Get legal advice, don't forget your husband will have to pay alimony.
    Fifth- Mentally be ready to stand alone and face the world alone- Your husband sis may be nice now but won't be for long. You might have a hard time with children ( explaining why you decided to leave). Your friends, your parents, your relatives will take a side. So mentally be ready for this. Standing alone..won't last forever.. it will be there until you get adjusted to your new identity of being a single parent.
    Sixth- try to meet new single parents, meet them now. You might get to know many things, which will help you make a strong friend circle and bond (Its hard to make friends, but try online groups like Reddit/ meetup. You don't have to tell all your problem to everyone) Sometimes being a part of these group can give you the confidence to deal with your own life circumstance.

The most important advice to you-- Tell your children everything, don't make your husband seem perfect. Don't postpone your life for children. Your children are seeing and learning from you and your husband. If you are being abused, abuse becomes the reality to them.
    Everything may seem very difficult emotionally at every turn, stick to your decision no matter what. Goodluck

PRM575, momsky and NeetaR like this.
  7. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Thanks @blindpup10.. sometimes I forget that I'm still in my thirties...

My parents are in India. Once I'm ready financially, I will file the divorce with or without my parents' approval.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Oh , hard to resist ajay devgan looks.

You know what to do so good luck.

Stay safe and know who to call if your life is in danger.

9. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

You are in an abusive relationship, just read these links and you would find at where your relationship stands now.
    Talk to the people there, will help you to clear yourself and also to find ways to stay safe, whom to approach and everything.
    The Facts About Violence Against Women | Canadianwomen.org
    Get help with family violence
    Domestic and intimate partner violence | womenshealth.gov
    The National Domestic Violence Hotline | 24/7 Confidential Support

There are many more resources online, find and get help.
    You need to take steps, but there are help available for you to get as well.
    Take care.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    momsky and KashmirFlower like this.
  10. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Ha Ha, good joke, I will take it in a sarcastic way though. Looks are so deceptive magician. Not all go by the looks of people.

OP sorry for the digression. OP, don't dig into your past, think about the future and your kids life. Your kids and yourself need help and so contact the domestic violence hotline as I suggested above.

momsky and KashmirFlower like this.