1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Messes Up Good Friendship?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A man and a woman are good friends, have a great friendship, then they fall in love and then they get married.

Marriage Messes Up Good Friendship - what do you think? :)
    - Yes, it does.
    - No, marriage only deepens the friendship.
    - Depends...

What do you think? Kindly share your opinion, experience, observation. :)

msbram, riya123, steve and 7 others like this.

2. Rihana

I am not sure ... am wavering between "yes" and "depends"

3. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Yes..
    Marriage, in the Indian sense, comes with certain expectations that definitely cancels out the very essence of friendship..
    On the other hand, after 10+ yrs, we have become best friends but it is because of 'compromise' -both of us..so, it depends? :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  4. Rihana

Why? : )

5. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Edited..my reply..new phone.. Too big for single hand use n am pressing too many buttons..:(

Rihana likes this.
  6. Rihana

suasin, you are soon becoming a member whose posts are a must-read, from Sri Lankan saree to this profound analysis. : ) Impressed. "Cancels out the very essence of friendship..." . Nicely put.

suasin likes this.
  7. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Flattered.. :)
    I remember you liked a reply of mine on a similar topic..
    'In marriage, one person should love more than the other, I choose to love a little less'.. Another reason for marriage spoiling friendship.. For, if I love him more, I will be overlooking too many faults and resent him more for the same. On the other hand, I am aware of his love and try to yield more and thats how we are friends.. To come here, we really struggled and not all men/women try..

8. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Depends...

Been friends, then best friends, then lovers and now married couple and parents.
    I think it totally depends on how the couple decides to keep it.
    We still pull each other's leg, we have silly fights, still remember to add half a spoon extra sugar for each other's coffee.
    I know of a couple who were besties before getting married and once they were wife and husband the expectations have changed on both sides and now their marriage is in soup, after having 2 kids.

Marriage is as beautiful as the couple chooses to make it. Friendship is alive as long the couple make an effort to keep it breathing.

msbram, SGBV and Rihana like this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Few friendships stand the test of time...let alone the incredible strain marriage places on it.
    So my answer is ...it depends.

msbram, jskls, SGBV and 2 others like this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

It depends on each person. I have seen couples who had love marriages but still going strong, though they have fights. My daughter is an example. She married my husband's sister's son and he only proposed and asked permission of my husband. First my husband was not in favour of getting married in relation. Then he gave permission and they got married. they both love each other very much and cant do without each other. They have fights , usually all couples have I think except me and my husband. I have never stayed away from my husband much. She also never stayed away from him much in her 15 years marriage, only when her child was with us she stayed with us as she had to wait for her daughter's visa. Even my son and dil love marriage and they are going strong.

When they cant adjust with each other it messes up the friendship. I think now a days after engagement they find fault with each other and some marriages dont take place only. The couple should understand each other , should not have ego . Everyone has positive and negative and if they see only the positive and not the negative then they will be happy in life. Since the girl and boy are brougth up in a different environment and upbringing there will be so many differences . So they should forget the differences and be happy and then their life will be happy. If I remember anything will post later

msbram, SGBV, Akanksha1982 and 3 others like this.