1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage.. Enemies everywhere !!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Jul 10, 2010.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Vasanthy was sitting outside the doctor's office. She felt slight uncomfortable sitting there. It was not regular doctor's office. She was there to visit a marriage counsellor. She prayed that she shouldn't see anybody there who have known her. She came half an hour early to her appointment. Sitting there she started to think everything happened all these years and she was still wondering why she was here.

Vasanthy loved her mom so much, more than anything in the world. Even after she got married to a wonderful man, she always gave her mom the first priority over her husband. But recent days she became so worried about her mom. Her mom became so demanding, whining about her problems and complaining about her loneliness. Vasanthy feels that she cant do anything about that. Vasanthy's parents are not together anymore. Vasanthy's mom always insist to talk to her father about this. But Vasanthy was always scared of her father and never talked to him about anything that would make him angry. There was another reason that she avoided talking to her father. It was that she thought that her mom's stubborn character was the only reason that they both are not together. She constantly fought with her father and when her father thought he cant take the harsh behavior anymore, he moved out of the house and found a job where he has to stay 24 hours. Vasanthy dreads to say to her mom that it was her fault and also she avoided to speak to her father about that. When Vasanthy felt that her mom's complaints are growing constantly daily, she thought that somebody should tell her that its her fault that her husband is not staying with her and she has to accept the fact that she has to live alone. Vasanthy now living far away from her mother thought of helping her and arranged for marriage counselling with an experienced elderly woman of her mom's age. Her mom didnt hesitate and accepted to attend.

One hour session went a week before. Her mom was quiet since the session. She didnt ask her mom how did it go, because she was so sure that the doctor had advised her mom and her mom is upset now. Vasanthy thought of giving some time to her mom. One day Vasanthy got a call from the doctor and the doctor told that she needs to speak with Vasanthy. Vasanthy got confused and didnt know the reason why the doctor has to speak with her in particular. So now she was there to find out the reason.

The assistant called her inside and Vasanthy met the doctor. It was the first time she is meeting the lady and she liked her at the first sight. The doctor's experience was shown in her eyes and her kindness was revealed in her words. Vasanthy felt really comfortable sitting there and she decided to be honest in speaking with her and do all her best to help her mom. First the doctor enquired few things about Vasanthy, her career and her relationship with her mom. Now then she came to the point.

Doctor: It seems you really love your mom, dont you Vasanthy?
    Vasanthy: Yes mam. She is like my best friend. I can talk to her about anything. I speak to her for hours in phone eventhough we are not together. It really soothes me when I talk to her and hear her voice. She is also very funny and gets me.
    Doctor: Nice to hear Vasanthy. Last week I spoke to your mom and got to know about the problems between her and your dad. So I thought I can have a talk with you too.
    Vasanthy: Ok mam.
    Doctor: So Vasanthy, tell me. Was your parents always fighting? Weren't they happy at all?
    Vasanthy: No mam. I remember them being very happy when I was a kid. I was born 8 years after they got married. Even when I was 5 years old I remember they go to cinemas leaving me in neighbor's house. My dad always discuss about his office stuff to mom. My dad seems he enjoys my mom's sense of humour.
    Doctor: Oh really?So when they fight usually what it was related to? Can you recall?
    Vasanthy: My dad used to be very careful on spending money. But my mom insist my dad to spend for somethings. When my dad refuses, she do things anyway against my dad's words. That raise in huge fights. My mom was very stubborn. There were lots of instances like these. So finally my dad moved away. I think this is the ultimate reason.
    Doctor: I see...

After saying these lines the doctor gave some moments to think about it. Vasanthy thought since from her childhood when her mom used to buy new clothes for her without her father's knowledge, made Vasanthy to study in Matriculation school when her father thought that the private schools are sucking money out of parents and wanted her to join in a good state board school. But as the result of huge fight Vasanthy continued in matriculation school. The same thing continued during her college selection and finally till her marriage. Vasanthy told all these things briefly to the doctor and the doctor listened patiently to all those.

Doctor: So your mom made you to study in good school, good college, and get you married in correct time and to correct person. Do you think your father doesn't cared about you and your mom has to fight for all those things?
    Vasanthy: Definitely not. My father cared about me a lot. He always looked for good stuff for me but at the same time he felt so insecured financially. So he had to look for cost effective ways. But my mom insisted dad to do all the things and not to worry about money. My father's was the only income to the family.
    Doctor: Thats true. I can understand your father's situation and also why it made him angry. So tell me Vasanthy, is there any debts that your father owe because of your studies and marriage?
    Vasanthy: No mam. He didnt have to borrow even a single penny for anything.
    Doctor: So am I right in saying that your father was paranoid for nothing and couldnt take bold steps?
    Vasanthy: (reluctantly) yes, but only because he was insecured as his income was the only source of money.
    Doctor: Yes, I quite understood that.

Now Vasanthy was not prepared for the next question at all. It shook her a bit and made her guilty that she didnt taught about that eventhough she was a grownup.

Doctor: Do you recall of any fights between your parents where it wasnt for you? Was there any arguments or fights based on your mom's needs? for e.g., she needing jewels, etc?
    Vasanthy: (after few seconds) No mam. It was...... always.... for me...
    Doctor: Can you tell me about your relationship with your father? Are you as close to him as you are with your mom?
    Vasanthy: No mam. I always scared of speaking with him. Even when he scolds me for no reason, I keep quiet. And my mom used to speak for me. It was before marriage. But now, after my dad came out of home, he speaks really good with me. I speak with him often. I feel very sorry for him as he stays outside and eats outside food.
    Doctor: Ok. So I understand that when you were little, whenever you want anything you went to your mom and asked her.
    Vasanthy: Yes mam.
    Doctor: So your mom always speaks to your father for your needs and when he rejects those, the fights arise.

Vasanthy now really confused. Is the doctor turning everything on her? Vasanthy cant deny the doctor. Because Vasanthy told each and everything to her mom. Her mom knows how much Vasanthy loved the school, for eg. Her mom knows that Vasanthy would be hurt if is she is not given what she needs. Even Vasanthy says that she can adjust, she actually get depressed if she feels inferior. Vasanthy remembered standing behind her mom holding her saree end when her mom fought to her dad for her.

Vasanthy: Yes mam. I now think that I am the base for all the fights.
    Doctor: No Vasanthy. I dont say that you are the reason for what they are now. Its very usual that parents fight. Now tell me, did you ever told your dad that your mom placed the financial request to your dad, because you thought they are important?
    Vasanthy: I dont understand your question mam.
    Doctor: Ok, let me give you an example. Lets say that one of your friends wants you to speak with their parents to get their permission for allowing her to go on a college trip. You go to their home and speak to their parents. But your friend never spoke about that trip to her parents before. You started convincing her parents and while you speak, your friend just keeps her mouth shut. What will her parents think? They think that their daughter was actually not interested but you are making her to go on the trip; that you are trying to spoil her daughter; that you are trying to change her mind etc etc. Wont they become mad at you? Didn't your friend put you in bad situation and by not talking, didnt she presented you as a bad girl in front of her parents?

Vasanthy understood where the doctor was going. Even when all the fights their parents had, was based on Vasanthy, her father was mad at her mom and not her. Her father thought Vasanthy was an innocent girl and ready to accept whatever her father gives her. But her mom knows what Vasanthy wants. So she spoke for her; fought for her; She didnt worry about risking her marriage life. All she thought was her daughter's future. But keeping her mouth shut, frightened to speak to her father all the time, Vasanthy messed her mom's life. Now her mom lives alone; She actually didnt have any issues with her husband. She had very happy life for 15 years. When Vasanthy's needs started coming up, she risked all she had. Now Vasanthy thinks that her mom is a whiny and complaining lady. Her mom loves her father very much and she cant stand that her husband living alone and suffering for food. The guilt started eating Vasanthy alive. She hated herself for not raising her voice once for the woman who sacrificed everything for her. She didnt speak to her father for 2 reasons; first, she was scared to speak; second, she was afraid that her father will hate her if she speaks supporting her mom. When she thought about that guilt-tears started rolling down her cheeks.

Doctor: Again I am telling you Vasanthy, you might not be all the reasons that they are apart; but definitely might be one of the reasons... Vasanthy, whether your parents might live together again or not, that is in your hands. If you dont worry about upsetting your father and speak the truth boldly supporting your mother, you might have a chance to bring back the happiness they had that they lost. Will you do it Vasanthy? I wanted to tell these things to you, thats why I made you come in today.

The next day Vasanthy went to office and spoke to her manager. She told that she had some personal issues and want a month leave. If that is not allowed she is OK to resign the job. The manager first approved 2 weeks leave and will try his best after 2 weeks. She explained her husband but he said that she is taking all the things seriously and she cant do anything now. But Vasanthy replied "I dont know whether I can bring my parents together again; but I cant forgive myself if I didnt even try. ". She didnt tell her parents anything and headed off to her native..........

2. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

Hi !! Good concept!! Is This To Be Contd??

3. ILoveTulips

Hi jaishvats,

Glad you liked my blog entry :thumbsup. This is my first blog. No I didnt planned to continue it. But I have plans to write more short events/incidents with the same character 'Vasanthy'. More than short story I am thinking of pointing some examples that makes people to think of real life scenarios...
    :thankyou2:,
    ILoveTulips

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi, first blog?? Really good one. What you have conveyed in this blog is something I have never thought of.

5. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Nice post, puts in light a nice thought. It makes one realise how your parents have fought for you in so many ways - even if at times it was amongst themselves. You are very creative to think about such stories and I think you would made a good writer.

Just a suggestion: try avoiding repetation of words/names - like Vasanthy, her mom have been used in each line, rather you had used Vasanthy once and then used the pronoun "she" in the continuing lines that talk about her, it would give a better redability, more continuity in reading the story.

Nonetheless, as I have already mentioned - even though you say you dint get topics to write for blogs, you sure can write stories.!

All the best
    Gayathri

6. ILoveTulips

Hi amihere,

Thanks a lot for your comment. Glad you like it. Hope you will continue reading my future blogs too...

ILoveTulips

7. ILoveTulips

Hi Gayathri,

Thats so sweet of you. Glad you liked it. Thanks for your compliments.

Yes, you were very correct. When I reread my entry, I thought the same. But in some sentences, where i have to mention both Vasanthy and her mom, if I go with "she" it confuses the sentence whom I mentioning. Anyway I am not that good in forming sentence, hope I will get better.

Thanks again Gayathri.

ILoveTulips

8. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Hey ILoveTuplis!

Beautiful one!

Loved it very much!

I would be there for read if you are thinking of extending this story line :)

A very beautiful blog pointing on simple psychological mistakes.

9. ILoveTulips

Dear Sarajara,

Glad you loved this entry. No I dont have plans to continue this. But I have plans to continue small stories like this. Hope you will enjoy them too.

ILoveTulips.

10. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Lovely one dear.

I liked it very much. Especially the friend e.g is very logical and its so true.

Shall i address you as tulips instead of ILoveTulips? :)