1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage-bullying Or Boring

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, May 19, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

This Is the daily conversation between an eternally bored couple bereft of friends and relatives. Read ahead!

Shaniyane, I am calling only you. Are you deaf? Pour some more of that degrading stuff you call as rasam in to my plate, which tastes worse than hot water.

No, I am not deaf, but for a change why don’t you call me Meenakshi, a beautiful name my parents chose, the name of the fish eyed Goddess who rules Madurai. Ok not Meenakshi, call me Meenu or even Meen short and sweet. I love it. ok ! the so called hot water is over, my dear, thuvar dal prices are rising just like your temper, day by day.

Meenakshi, have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror. One look at you, any prospective groom would have run away in fear. Your so called palatial parental house - you shamelessly call it a house. Even a garbage bin would have looked better. During the girl seeing function, who was that bald headed uncle of yours, who was constantly nagging me to eat the kesari which refused to leave the plate in which it was served? If I ever see him again I will thrash him to pieces. The song you sang - a beautiful MS piece. The way you sang it looked more like a scratched record. Your screeching voice not even once aligning with the shruthi, just matched your miserable village miles way from the city. The interiors of your house were as dark as your complexion.

Now you silly! right from the day I married you, for the past forty five years I have been putting up with all the rubbish you utter nonstop. You are not only shamelessly pulling me down but also degrading my parents and my paternal relatives. How would you feel if I disrespect you and your parents? How would you feel if I speak the same nonsense you utter? Some how my self respect prevents me from doing such degrading things.

Hmmm! Now I realize what a great mistake I committed 45 years ago. I should have married the golden hued Mala who was deeply in love with me. Her parents offered me a car, bungalow, handsome dowry along with their beautiful daughter. My parents bluntly refused her saying she was of a loose moral character. I finally ended up with a dark buffalo like you. Hmmm! Can't get out of its tenacious grip even now.

Many times I feel it would have been better if I was born deaf. Often I have emphathized with my neighbour's child who cannot utter a single word inspite of being six years old, but looking at you I feel it would have been better if God had made people born mute. The stinging words you utter makes my life miserable. I want to run away from you but there is no one to help me. "Devi Meenakshi" please let me know how to deal with an erratic husband whose tongue is oozing acid".

"Amma did you call me "- came rushing inside servant maid Meenakshi. "I was walking along the road side when I heard your voice. Well, here is some good news for you today. At last I have got rid of the devil, none but that useless, shameless creature, a drunkard husband of mine and by this time he should be counting the bars inside the jail. Today when he thrashed me for not giving him money for his drinks, I did one sensible thing. Inspite of the burning pain and humiliation, I took a selfie with my phone as evidence for proof of my injuries and went straight to the women’s police station. In no time he was taken away by the police. Ayya! one word for you also. If I ever hear from Amma that you are verbally abusing her, mind you, you will be also-cooling your heels along with my husband. By the way here after, Saturday and Sunday is my day off. I would be watching my Thalaivar MGR's movie on the home theatre along with the old lady, whom I am going to look after in the rich mans house. Whenever I will be taking leave I will post the message on What’s Up( What's App) Good bye! Note this Amma. My user id is, "what’s up meenu@yahoo.com". Bye Amma!

2. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hayha gud one

Agatha83 likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Very nicely conveyed,Agatha.
    I don't know whether present day girls would tolerate such non sense for 40 long years;neither the husbands .They would have long been separtaed.The mere fact that the conversation prolongs for 40 long years is a proof of their intimacy and that they enjoy abusing each other.
    Now a days there is nothing called'serving' or parimaaruthal' in houses.Everything is kept on the dining table.
    In those days man abusing the wife and complaining about the food stuff was common.One day the lady was serving yummy' keerai masiyal' to her husband.The husband didn't want to praise his wife.He simply threw the plate .All the masiyal splashed on the wall.
    The masiyal was so good.He commanded his wife saying" sevuththuk keeraiyai vazhichchup podadi soranai kettvale( You shameless, please remove the keerai masiyal sticking to the wall and give it to me) We can understand who was shameless.

The conversation as given above was common in almost all the houses.They had 5 or 6 children and got along like this throughout their lives.
    Perhaps, women had to be less sensitive because they depended on their husbands financially.But this was a way men expressed their love pangs in olden days.
    You have beautifully picturised the conversation during dining.

I enjoyed it a lot.

Jayasala 42

iyerviji and Agatha83 like this.
  4. Meenumeow

Meenumeow New IL'ite

I like the way you wrote. nice one .

Agatha83 likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I shuddered when I thought of the scene and my flesh crawled at the unabashed verbal abuse. Good for the maid who decided to send her husband and the alcohol inside him to be cooled behind (not at) the bars.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It is sad that such mindless abuse passed off as normal behavior.

7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala,

I grew up in a house where we had to sit down in the kitchen when the food was served. After marriage it was a football team, to which my MIL had to serve a sit down lunch or dinner. After food there was this cleaning the floor with cow dung, a ritual religiously followed. Nowadays even in restaurants I see the entire family engaged with their mobiles, rather than having a happy conversation.
    One particular incident which my grand mother conveyed to me casually when I was a young girl, prompted me to come out with this snippet. It seems my paternal grand father was a hot tempered man and whenever my grandma faltered while serving him food, he would just snatch the ladle from her hand and hit it straight on her head. What sort of intimacy could there have between such people. Glad you enjoyed my snippet and thankyou you for a very nice feedback.

Agatha83

guesshoo likes this.
  9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Meenumeow.

Agatha83

10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Imagine a lady having got to undergo the nonstop verbal humiliation for forty years. Either she will turn immune or become mad. Divorce was not an option those days. As you have pointed out the illiterate are more liberated and take bold steps.

Agatha83

satchitananda likes this.