Markazhi - month of kolams

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Dec 16, 2006.

1. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear ChitVish,

Some of your posts make me feel very nostalgic about my childhood years. I used to remember when I was a child that "Margazhi" comes after "Half Yearly exams". My mom used to draw real big kolams, and place a mound of cow dung and "Parangi" flower on top of it. If we are at our grandparents place, our grandfather used to make boxes and allot the boxes to the granddaughters to draw kolams so we don't feel left out. Now I have to be content with drawing small "kizhamai" kolams in front of God on a small plate. Now that you have posted soo many of these, it is easier to choose which one to draw in front of God, rather than repeat the same ones.. I run out of ideas when i have to draw in a hurry before getting to work..

Thanks soooo much!!
    Vidya

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dearest Vidya !

As you write, still the custom of keeping a small mound of cowdung & a parangi poo on top of it goes on in front of independent houses. I can understand very much your feeling nostalgic about it. Don't you think, some of the customs in our culture are unparalleled ?
    Just a suggestion - for one week every month, draw the kizamai kolams. On the rest of the days, let you imagination take wings. My very idea of posting small kolams is for those woth small puja rooms.
    I simply cannot resist kolams ! This seems to be the case with most of you !
    Thankyou, Vidya, for joining us.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Your Markazhi posts

dear chith,
    I did enjoy your kolams. As an appreciation of your hard work, I have started putting them in front of my flat, one oneline border surrounding one three dot kolam,. Every night before going to bed I draw the kolam for next day on a piece of paper. I am planning to continue till I exhaust all of them. My small tribute to your bubbling enthusiasm.
    You do keep IL interesting and rewarding.
    Regards,
    Meenu
    :clap :clap :clap

4. Chitvish

My dear Meenu !

Your mail is a big reward to me !
    I am very happy that you are trying out the posted kolams systemmatically.
    Yes, I too have the habit of practising kolams the previous night !
    A thoroughly enjoyable F B, Meenu !
    Love,
    Chith.

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Thanks

Dear chitramam

All the 3 dot kolams are fantastic and reminded me of my mom's kolam notebook.

The collection refreshed my memory, and now I can have varieties instead of repeated ones. My Singaporean neighbours always stop and take a look at the kolam and Thulasi kolams particularly as my flat is near the lift. When I use Kaavi on festive days, they will ask me whether it is a washable paint!

You enlighten us with your unlimited sharing as ever.

Love and Regards
    Vijee

6. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

dots & dots & dots......too good

Dear Chitra,

I'm not a kolam person but I just love kolams & consider it as an art by itself - but have never tried.
    Your simple kolams actually tempts me to try.
    some of them are not very clear - maybe when I try them I might get it right
    too goood a post - I'm loving it!!!!!!!!!!!

L, Hs & Ks

7. Chitvish

என் மனதுக்கு இனிய விஜீ !

நீங்கள், விருதுநகர் ஆனதால் தமிழில் எழுத விழைகிறேன் !
    நீங்கள் கோலங்களை ரசித்ததற்கு, மிக்க ந்ன்றி !

சிவகாசியிலிருந்து, ஒரு கோலப் புத்தகம் அநேக வருடங்களுக்கு முன் வாங்கினேன். அதிலிருந்து சில பகுதிகளை, இந்தத் தொடர்சங்கிலியில் நாளை எழுதிகிறேன் !

இதில் பங்கெடுத்துக் கொண்டதற்கு மிக்க நன்றி, விஜீ !
    அன்புடன்,
    சித்ரா.

8. Chitvish

My dear Meena !

It is easy to get addicted to kolams - it is very similar to solving a puzzle !
    I have scanned the kolams & saved in pdf files. So if anything is not clear, I shall send you the same by e mail. You can enlarge & see it.
    I am glad that you liked this posting, Meena !
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

The pleasure is mine

Dear Chitramam
    My humble request. please don't call me 'neengal'. It seems too 'anniyam'. Please give me the pleasure by calling me 'nee'.

(I do not get enough time to participate in the forum actively as I am pressed for time since we go out almost everyday for this and that as it is holiday season for Abhi and Hubby. Sorry.
    I will ask my hubby about the tamil font and try to use it soon.May be from feb.)

Iniya Tamizhil manadhai kollai kondatharku nanri!

Endrum anbudan
    Vijee

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

some straight line kolams...

dear chitra,
    the great inspirator of our forum, as i found no straight line kolams tried doing it in photoshop, hope u like it, regards sunkan

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007