Markazhi - month of kolams

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Dec 16, 2006.

1. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Chittu Manni,

Thank you sooooo much to you and the person who has kindly drawn these. I plan to try them for Janmashtami this time, the timing is really good.

Affly,
    Gayu

2. umaganapathy

umaganapathy New IL'ite

Hi Chithra,

I am reading all your articles and came upon this one. I have a set of kolam plates which says navagraha kolam and Day-based kolams given to me as gift. I didnt know when to use them. So have used the star kolam plate and Hirudiyakamalam kolam plates to put in puja room kept the rest aside. Your articles have really inspired me. After reading your articles, and slogas even I want to put them in my puja room. Could you please answer some of my questions below

1) When we should put these kolams in puja room like can we put this everyday and tell the slogam you have given? Or it should be drawn for any particular Graha dosham, for eg if we are going through sani desi then we do this only on saturdays?

2) In which order should we put the kolam ie First Daywise kolam then the Navagraha kolam for that day eg Monday kolam and chandran kolam or it should be Navagraha kolam first and then Daywise kolam?

3) Since I have been using the Six Sided Star kolam and Hiridayakamalam kolam plates the stickers from that have come out, so dont know which day it belongs, I could see from the rest of the plates, it must be Thursday and Friday(Those are the missing days). Can you please tell me, which one is on which day?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
    Uma

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Uma,
    Yes, you can put the kolam everyday just like that; do not bother about graha dosha etc..
    The order is your choice - no hard & fast rule.
    Yes, you are right in what you say.Thursday is 6 stars & friday is hrydaya kamalam.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. umaganapathy

umaganapathy New IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

Thanks very much. Appreciate your quick response. Will start the kolam on Tamil New Years Day.

Thanks,
    Uma

5. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra Maam,
    chanced upon this thread yesterday and saw the beautiful kolams u have posted....i luv kolams myself, though am not gud at complicated big pulli kolams !

i saw the vaishnava kolams u have posted.i love to get creative with these 'padi' kolams,as they are called...those curved squares are great to experiment with...:) in our family,we draw them every tuesday and friday and on all auspicious days...

i drew some yesterday after i saw your post,and wanted to share them with u all....
    will try to post some more as and when i can...

rgds,
    sowpar

Attached Files:

6. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

some more....

Attached Files:

7. Chitvish

Dear Sowpanika,
    From my childhood, I have been fascinated by the curves & twists of Vaishnavite Kolams.
    Even now, there is a V family next to our apartments. On festival days, the first thing I do is to see what kolam they have drawn.
    Do post elaborate ones as well.
    Thanks, Sowparnika - incidentally this is a lovely username!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

dear maam,
    thanks for the prompt response,inspite of the busy schedules u must b having...
    will try to post bigger ones as well...
    i actually have one confusion regarding this thread...are there two threads with the same name....the "markhazi-month of kolams" led me to another thread, where u have posted karthigai kolams,etc....at the bottom of the page there was another "marghazi-month of kolams" in the similar threads space, when i clicked that i landed here...
    so...are they different or same...

rgds,
    sowpar

9. Chitvish

Dear Sowparnika,
    This thread is entirely for kolams.
    I have given a kolam for karthikai in the thread on karthgikai deepam.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. vashini

vashini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitvish!
    Thanks for the kolams... I will add it on my collections! Thanks Alot!