Margazhi Kolams

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by iyerviji, Dec 18, 2020.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:kudos to sister for timely posts on kolams which is relatable easily by many ILs and bring flood of memories of their childhood in the month of Marghazhi in South India in particular.
    I am more reminded of graphs in calculus functions and intricate geometrical patterns drawn on big scale by a huge group and competitions held around streets at mylapore kapaleeswarar temple.
    I remember walking carefully in mist with milk thooku in streets before dawn in Triplicane as women and girls busy drawing rangoli in front of their homes.
    Nurani village in Palakkad District, Kerala reported celebrating as below:

In the world famous Sasthapreethi it happens every year!

INCREDIBLE. Depiction of musical instruments through kolam. Marvelous display of imagination, creativity, perfection and artistry skills.

As the agraharams in Palakkad are gearing up for the annual Shashtapreeti, the festival fervour has gained momentum at ritualistic level. Sharing the pictures of kolams drawn by the girls of Nurani agraharam in their temple.

Incredible amount of dedication, passion, artistry displayed by the female folks. Take a bow! There are 96 agraharams in the entire district out of which 18 are situated within the heart of Palakkad Town. Nurani agraharam is very very popular for it's Shastapreeti and the natives living across the globe make it a point to converge for the annual festival.
    Thanks and Regards.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    iyerviji likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for posting in detail about kolams in Kerala. I agree with you