1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'margazhi and mysorepak....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SARASVADIVU, Feb 20, 2011.

1. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

That year's 'Margazhi' too was as usual, a pot-pourri of 'raga & tala' and visits to Shrines!

[​IMG]

I started looking forward to it ..and would you believe, I was the first one to step out of the exam-hall during the last exam..such was my anxiety to start off with my 'Michaelmas holidays!!'

It is a tradition in our family to go on a pilgrimage during the 'Margazhi' season : in fact, it also did serve as a family get-together of all our cousins, who normally were away from the South. This was a desire of my grandpa, as well.

He also used this opportunity to play with all of us, which normally is not possible, as he was such a 'busybody'. I still remember how we all the tiny-tots would love crushing the betelnuts for 'our thaatha's 'tamboolam'.

My granny's round of story-sessions,exclusively hosted for us,was yet another 'scene-stealer'.Along with her steaming degree coffee, we would help ourselves to her "AMBULICHUTTI" stories. (Perhaps in a subsequent blog I shall narrate one of her favourite stories).

Around 8.00 a.m. ,we would all head towards the temple-tank to take a dip. I bet no other 'waters' in the world ..even the swimming-pool of great 5-star hotels, would be as serene and pure as the temple-tank's'!!!! One could cherish the tingly feeling of the small fish,nibbling at our feet.

With the strands of our wet tresses wafting in the gentle breeze, we would have a happy stroll all the way, pausing to see butterflies, mynas and even peacocks. There used to be a contest between my cousin, Santhya and myself, as to who spots the most number of butterflies...our grand-father being the 'contest's judge'! If she wins then I would be waiting to take revenge by beating her in the 'Dayakkatai' game, which we would play in the court-yard of the huge mansion.

[​IMG]

At times even after several calls from our granny, we would never go for break-fast, as my grandpa would have already treated us to sumptuous delicacies from the "Sriranga Iyengar's Sweets". In fact, Grandpa, a diabetic, would also take a bite of those irresistible Mysorepaks, soaked in dollops of pure ghee.

The evenings were a different story altogether: all of us would go to the 'Adhivinayahar temple'..those "Saayaratchai -moments" would be a treat to the eyes, feasting on the 'beauty' of the Lord in His 'swayambu' pose with a human face!!
    My grandpa, a well-known personality in the 'temple-circuit, loved taking us on a 'Devotional-Spree",that still continues to be a part of me.

With just five more days to go for the school to re-open, I started to wear a gloomy look already.The state of my cousin, Santhya, even worse. She started to have one of those spells of 'school-going phobias', if there could be such a word-coinage!!

In the noon all of us were keenly glued on to the television, watching 'Rajinikanth rescuing the poor elephant-calf from a pit'.
    "Oh! what a tragic fate for 'Rajni's mom"!! so saying,my granny was having tears in her eyes..
    just when my mother was trying to explain to her that it was only a movie;-

-Our maid-servant came in saying,"Amma! amma!" namma Santhya papava enge thediyum kaanomma" ( mam, our Santhya is missing )....

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

What a great writing!!!! Could you please tell me the name of the temple. Srrangam Iyengar Sweet store is on my list now since you talked about the Mysore Pak. You are so lucky to have great family to spend holidays with.

I do agree with you about Temple Tank Water. It is superior than any water. It has energy in it. Hope to hear more stories form you.

All the best.

3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Nice writing. Please have a continuity, especially the Pencil Case blog.

4. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

You really have a flare for writing. Loved this blog. Keep blogging :thumbsup :thumbsup

5. SARASVADIVU

Dear CL,

Do you know what?! It's become an eager expectation with me to look forward for the first comment from you.
    Thanq so much!!!! :)

The temple spoken of here i.e. the "AdhiVinayakar " temple is located 3 kms. south of Poonthottam village, enroute to Tiruvarur. The deity here also known as "Nara Ganapathy" (Nara means human) comes with a human face. It's also believed that "Pitru tharpanams" performed here, absolves one of 'Pitru Doshams'.

Stay tuned
    :cheers
    Saras

6. SARASVADIVU

Dear Raji,

At the outset thanx for stepping in.

The series of this blog, "Surfing with Saraswathi(ma)", talks about incidents in an autobiographical style, starting with my childhood!!

This is not in a story-style with a precise continuity..instead what I'm doing here, Raji, is gather the various flowers (the incidents)and make a "kadamba maalai" of them!!

Hope this "Garland" of mine spreads fragrance in the 'Garden' of all your minds!!!!

Stay tuned.

Saras

7. SARASVADIVU

Hey 'Icy Gal',

Thanx a ton yaar!

Saras

8. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

It looks like you had one fantastic childhood.
    I can't help but smile while reading you blog.

I could almost feel the slight cold touching the ankles myselfwhile running in pattu pavadai .

A really closer to heart narration. will trace you blogs from now on..

9. SARASVADIVU

Dear IM,

Thanx for stepping in.
    Happy that somewhere, I have been instumental in kindling the fond memories of your childhood!

Yes, Iniyamalar, my childhood is punctuated with such niceties..and this is what I'm going to share with friends like you!!

Stay tuned IM

Saras

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

With Kovil dharsham and the Mysore pak...I had started reading your blog...Sarasvadivu....
    Very good arrangement for the family members to meet at a particular event...Margazhi and pilgrimage...very apt.
    Thatha and Paatti, cousins...evergreen memories, isn't it!

sriniketan