Mango Contest - May & June 2010

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Laxmi, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

1. The mango is the most delicious of fruits ..
    2. It contain rich in vitamins A,C and G.& good for health..
    3.after buying mangoes put in tap water for 1/2 hour before eating.
    4. you must drink 1 glass of milk in the night
    4.Unripe mangoes kept immersed in a tin of rice container & will ripen faster
    5. In the Hindu culture, hanging fresh mango leaves outside the front door during Pongal and Diwali is good for health& blessing

variety of mango
    Alphonso is sweetest one in mumbai
    bhadam
    kesar
    rasperi
    kilimooku mango

recipes of mangoes:
    mango slice or jelly jolly
    Aamrakhand
    Mango jam
    Mango shrikand
    cut mango pickle
    mango rice
    mango Panna

2. sabinap

sabinap New IL'ite

hi,

1. Mangoes is beneficial for those who are trying to gain weight

2. Mango leaves can be used to brush the teeth.

3.The name 'mango' is derived from the Tamil word 'mangkay' or 'man-gay'. When the Portuguese traders settled in Western India they adopted the name as 'manga'.
    4.There are over 400 varieties of mango throughout the world​

3. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Mango is the most loved fruit of mine and my family.

Though we live in Dubai, we get Alphonso mangoes from India right from the beginning of March thru June from Bombay. Alphonso is the best mangoes with regard to its yellow shade and the sweet taste.

Then comes the Benganappali from India, Dhaseri and Badami from Pakistan (superb taste). We get raw mango thru out the year in Dubai. Anyday, anytime the super markets here stock raw mangoes, we get imports from thru out the world.

Now the most likeable items out of raw mango are:

1. Mangai Keeru : (Simple and super)
    Wash and cut the raw mango with the skin and put the salt, red chilli powder.
    In a kadai, take sesame oil, burst musturd and fenugreek seeds, hing powder and curry leaves, temper on the maangai.
    Keep over night............. next day its ready as a great side dish.

2. PERUNGAYA (HING) Maangai (Sour type only):
    Wash and cut raw mango (it has to be sour type), soak in salt and keep inside the fridge for 2 days.
    Then add, lots of hing powder and red chilli powder....... that's it. Ready to use as side dish. Those who love the flavour or Hing will feel divine eating and smelling this...............:rotfl

3. THOKKU MAANGAI (Very sour types) :
    Wash and remove skin, cut the mangoes in slices, add salt and keep in the fridge for 2~3 days. Then keep under the Sun for drying for 2 days. The moisture should be dried but should not turn hard. Now no more keeping under the Sun. Now add red chilli powder. Heat enough sesame oil and allow it to cool. Then pour on the Maangai. Now the THOKKU MAANAI is ready. This will never ever gets spoiled. You can make in bulks and store for one year also. :tongue:drool

More pickle varieties later.................

4. AAMRAS
    Come March............... its time for MangoRas. Take out the ripened yellow mangoes, remove the skin, cut into bigger pieces, blend in a blender with little sugar and ice cubes, adding Milk and little water. Aamras is ready to consume............ great taste, pretty look, a king of good times of course in a dinner table.

Attaching a pic of that when we made last week for guests along with Pav Bhaji and Tea........

BR
    Shanti

Attached Files:

4. suria

suria Silver IL'ite

mango on line special !!!!

hi,
    this is known as mango on line special!!!!
    the best way to cut a mango and enjoy it (yummy!!) .first cut the mango into a slice,any size.! then using a knife draw vertical and horizontal lines over it..and spread open that slice!! wow here comes the cut shape of wat i have told..!!
    refer-pics below:cheers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yummmy mangoes!!:rotfl

5. sriranjini123

sriranjini123 New IL'ite

I am a new entrant to indus ladies. Can i participate in mango contest?

6. Rithika10

Rithika10 New IL'ite

Mangoes have always been dear to me. And I'm one of those ardent fans who keeps waiting for the summer season; the season that brought with it my favourite fruit - Mango, and the time when Amma would make my favorite Pazha Maanga Pulishery. I'm sure not many of you would have tried this dish. Well, if you like a sweet and sour curry for rice, then this is the right time for you to try it.. Happy Reading and all the very best to all the contestants.:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
  7. cuterose

cuterose New IL'ite

fresh mango kachumbar
    1) 1 kachchi crushed mango
    2) 2 crushed onions
    3) salt
    4) red chillies
    5) jaggery
    6) cumin powder

mix all the above ingredients and serve with hot roti. very delicious.

8. deepalid

deepalid New IL'ite

Hi all,

For the first time I am participating in any of the contests of Indusladies. I would like to share a recipe with you all.

Take three medium size raw mangoes. Peel them and cut into thin strips. Take two tea spoon of oil in a pan and heat it. Add a few mustard seeds, little asafetida, dalchini, big cardamom and a little turmeric to it. Add mangoes to it. Stir for 3-4 minutes. Then add sugar in equal proportion to the quantity of mangoes, for example to one bowl of cut mangoes add one or one and a half bowl of sugar (as per taste) and stir till sugar melts and mangoes become soft. A pinch of salt may be added to increase taste.

This is good to eat in the summer season and kids enjoy it a lot.

Regards,
    Deepali

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  9. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello Sriranjini,

Welcome to the Indusladies Community. Definitely the contests at Indusladies is open to all its members.

All the Best!!!

10. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

Let me give a chill recipe - mango kulfi. This is the first time i am writing recipes, so excuse me if it is bad! :)

milk - 1 liter
    sugar - 1 cup
    corn flour - 1 tablespoon
    warm milk - 2 teaspoons
    saffron strands - few
    cardomom (elachi) powder - 1/4 teaspoon
    almonds, pista, cashew nuts - handful (optional)
    mango pulp - 1 cup
    Soak saffron in 2 teaspoons of warm milk and keep aside.
    Dissolve the corn flour in 2 tablespoons of water and keep aside.
    Soak almonds in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes and then peel off the skin. roughly chop the nuts.
    Heat milk in a thick bottomed tawa. Allow it to boil and continue keeping on fire. keep stirring and scraping the cream settled in the sides and bottom of tawa. Can try keeping on lower flame to avoid greasiness. After 10 minutes, add sugar and keep stirring.
    When the milk kind of thickens, add the saffron mixture to it. Add cardamom powder also.
    Add the corn flour mixture and simmer over low to medium flame, stirring continuously till the milk reduces and becomes like custard. Remove from heat and let cool. Add nuts (optional)
    Add the mango pulp and mix well.
    Pour into kulfi moulds and freeze till set. Unmould and serve. (I didnt have kulfi moulds, just poured them in small steel cups and served them straight from fridge :))

Variation - chop off the top of mango and keep aside. using a knife, carefully remove the seed alone out of mango. ensure that you do not loosen the pulp. pour the prepared kulfi into the fruit. close with the chopped top. wrap in polythene sheet and freeze. chop the mango and serve immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.