1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Manglore Air Tragedy – Part 2

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, May 25, 2010.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Manglore Air Tragedy – Part 2<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

After I posted the blog in the morning of Sunday, at night , after cards, I went thru the papers deeply, as nothing great was coming on TV, and I happened to see this on the front page of the TOI dated 23/5/10, Sunday.

[​IMG]

I have enclosed the clipping but u cant read it, as it is too long and wont come in one scan. Now this is a very strange report, which only TOI has reported and no one else among the 4 papers that come on Sunday.

When the pilot lands with a bump, we call it a hard landing, and when the pilot lands smoothly, it is called a soft landing.We praise the pilot in the first instance and curse him or her, (we have lady pilots too these days don’t forget that ) , correct ? I am guilty of this crime, hence I assume most of u react the same way as me.

Now here is something unusual . Last year Air <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st="on"><ST1:pLACE w:st="on">India</ST1:pLACE></ST1:COUNTRY-REGION> issued a diktat to pilots to avoid hard landings, and go for soft landings, meaning passengers must have that smooth landing effect. Did this diktat force the pilot of this flight to make the error ?

Now what is the difference between the two landings, and which is better and safer ?

In a hard landing, where passengers complain, the plane touches near the end of the runway with a 2 G force, which means the force of twice the weight of the Aircraft, hence the thud, and the bump we feel, but the plane gets a longer runway to slow down.

In the case of a soft landing, the pilot has to glide in the air over the touchline for a longer time, and distance, meaning he flies inches over the runaway, and then touches down, giving a soft landing, but in the process goes way beyond the baseline, where he is supposed to land, so he needs an extra long runway for that.

In the case of the <ST1:pLACE w:st="on"><ST1:pLACENAME w:st="on">Manglore</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACETYPE w:st="on">Airport</ST1:pLACETYPE></ST1:pLACE>, it being hilly and a short runway, the best was the hard landing, whereby the pilot got more curses from the passengers, but also got more runway to negotiate.

Ixedoc in his blog has said that he has had many bumpy rides while landing, and I think those bumps saved his life that often. Here is what he had to say in his blog

( Ixedoc is blogger at another site.His is a senior doctor in the Manglore Govt Hospital, where most of the bodies were taken of this aircrash)

So I guess it is better to have a hard landing and bruise yr Bums, than lose your life in a soft landing ! the next time I have a hard landing, I will applaud the pilot in front of everyone.

Finally here is what the TOI said at the end of the article

“It is indeed pilot error, but it is an error that was forced by the management policy for smooth landings.A hard landing may be uncomfortable landing, but sometimes it is safer than a smooth landing “

I just hope all the pilots, passengers and Aircraft Managments all over the world, agree to hard landings, and I hope air India remove this diktat on soft landing immediately, so that pilots are not pressurized.

The newspaper says, I f a pilot has a few hard landings, and the passengers complain he is taken off duty, maybe his salary suspended, and he is retrained for some time, to give soft landings, I think cruel in the given circumstances of what happened at Manglore.

When will wiser counsel prevail ?

And please remember u readers know more of flights than me, for I am a train traveler mostly, and u guys travel so much, this is little from what I read in the papers. I don’t travel much, by flights, too expensive for me, I preferred a 36 hour train journey from Chennai to Jaipur last year, at 2000/- second AC, than a 7000 flight.

Maybe I am penny wise pound foolish, but too late to change myself now. Not that I am scared of flights, for if I have to die , I will someday, and even trains have accidents, but money matter to me a lot, and when I am retired and in no hurry to reach anywhere fast, and with no boss to foot my Fight Bill, I count each penny, time being of no essence to me these days.

Reminds of an old Mehmood joke “ In plane where u are , in train there u are “, meaning in plane God knows where <ST1:CITY w:st="on"><ST1:pLACE w:st="on">ur</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY> body will be, in a train, there will be yr body , somewhere reachable.

KAMAL MAHTANI

Last edited: May 25, 2010

2. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Kamalji- Pranaam. All these years I was not aware of the fact that a hard landing is safer than a soft landing. Only today I learnt about this from you. When the Singapore Airlines' first Airbus A380 landed here in Sydney in year 2007 I was watching it landing from my kitchen and I tell you- it was really scary! It looked like a huge aparment building coming out of the clouds and landing in our airport. I am not ashamed to tell you about this. After that first arrival I used to pray to God very seriously daily whenever it landed or took off but nowadays it has become a common sight for me seeing so many of them everyday. Yes, I fully agree with you. It is better to travel by train than by plane. Whenever we fly I tell my husband 'I feel safer when my feet are touching the Mother Earth'.

3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji,

It si very sad to see the news. RIP.

How will I visit India since I live in US by train? I pray all the way form San Francisco to Chennai and back. I would love to go by train.

Peace Be with you.:coffee

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji...
    your blogs are turning out to be really infomative... I didn't know about hard and soft landing though I travel on average once in 2 months to Mumbai from Bangalore... always cursed the pilot when we landed with a THUD but now after what you revealed I shall :bowdown to him..
    Its sad how the management of most of the companies think with blinkers on and not realising how they pressurise their employees by instilling such ridiculous rules... the airlines should leave the flying decisions to the captains(pilots) and stick only to their commercial aspects... after all they pay their pilots a hell load of money so may as well let them be responsible for the safety and flying of aircraft and passengers!!!
    K

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Monifa,

i did not mean to imply that one travels by train, and u cant do so from Australia to India, but we can in india itself, we have a choice.

Even i was not aware of these landings, till i read in the papers.There are less accidents in planes than in cars and trains, statistics prove that.

But if we have to prefer safety at landing, then i would personally go for a hard landing.:biglaugh

Thanks.kamal

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear CL,

it would require a month to ravel from USA to india by train, if there is one that is:biglaugh

Dont be scared, these thigns happen sometimes.rare these days.planes have become pretty safe.Relax.

Regards

kamal

7. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Ofcourse such restrictions has to be lifted or they have to put something like quote for hard landing. Like they can lift that upon small airports with short runways. A pilot should be able to judge accordingly too (I am not blaming the pilot or anyone here.Just putting across my point). In a news channel they had shown a similar landing happened in somewhere else and what the pilot did was turned the plane and brought it to a complete stop.

I do not know anything about flying a plane but felt that if he was able to judge he could have took off gain circled once more and then landed.
    Anyway sambhavami yuge yuge!

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi kamalji,

I really did not understand the logic. Okay, a soft landing is definitely preferred but is it not at the discretion of the pilot. Does he not have that much freedom to exercise his judgement? If this fellow is really as good as his records show him to be, shouldn’t he have known about the mangalore runway being short and so opted for a hard landing?

I would have done that in the pilots place and then made an apologetic announcement that I had to do it to save their lives.(hahaha after all we are famous for talking about what could have been done, no?) :)

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea rKelly,

Lucky u , u get to fly so often eh ! poor me sticks to trains.:biglaugh
    Yes see u learnt something from me, about the landings, which i learnt from the papers.This is called passing of knowledge eh !:biglaugh

Yes i agree with u, pilots should be left to take their own decisions.

And i think it is time, All Airlines inform passengers of these landings, and tell them tht hard landings are good for their health and safety, so please dont compalin to us.

Regards

kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ami,

Agreed , it an differ from Airport to airport.But as for a smooth landing, the pilot has a shorter runaway to negotiate, he will have to brake harder, which can result in risk to tyres bursting in the process.

Once u the wheels touch the ground, it is diffficult for the pilot to take off again, so i think.

Regards

kamal