1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Managing Children's Behavior While Ils Visit

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ATI, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Thanks Dashaa - DH will not get involved. I have stopped complaining to him thanks to the wonderful advise from the ladies on here. I can't manage when ILs watch. They are at home from 9-3 with nothing to do and I can't take their TV away.

2. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. I will try some of these and let you know how it goes

Have any of you been successful getting your kids to say no? I wish my son ( who is older ) will just tell them no I am not allowed to watch on weekdays

3. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

The content in Indian television these days is pathetic.its regressive, depressive and full of negativity.If this is what a majority of the people are watching and liking I wonder about the mindset of our society. You are very right in restricting tv time.can you move tv to their bedroom? also maybe create a reward system for your kid, every time grandparents ask to watch tv and kid doesn't ,kid is entitled to some reward points. say he/she accumulates a 100 points or something he/she gets a reward.

sheztheone likes this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

In Apple TV, only security is password lock.
    I suggest you to check on iTunes account.
    If you happen to have a smart TV, you can do child lock. Check Google.
    Else disconnect the internet router based on the GB level

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That would be an unfair burden to place on a child. Don't pull them into your struggle to get in-laws to follow common sense things like 'restrict tv time for children". Even if your child manages to tell them that, they will have a counter to it, and in general, it would only result in more comments from them about 'strict mother' or 'controlling how we spend time with grandkids."

If you cannot get the TV watching moved from a common area to their room, there is not much you can do. The TV will be playing whether or not anyone is watching, your children will be listening to those dialogs even if not watching TV, and those 3-slaps in the TV serial from the mother/outraged wife to errant son/husband followed by camera panning to each shocked face will have an effect on their impressionable minds.

What is the role and contribution of Mr. ATI in all this? Your kids are older than they were last time in-laws visited. TV thing needs renewed attention from him too.

How about getting them wireless headphones? The really comfy ones with so much cushion around the ear. Like this one: Amazon.com: RIF6 Wireless TV Headphones 2.0 Over Ear Cordless Headphone with RF Transmitter - with Electronic Volume Control 20 Hour Rechargeable Battery and Charging Dock for TV MP3 iPods and Smartphones - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories I would ask Mr. Rih for recommendation, but I am afraid he will mistake my query for an interest in the headphones, and assume it is time/OK for him to upgrade his headphones. Next thing I know a brown box is getting delivered from amazon. : )

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Archanaanchan likes this.