1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Male actors in female attires - who is the best?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by sushmasrivastav, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

It seems donning female dresses are the new fad in Bollywood. If reports are to be believed, actor Emraan Hashmi has donned a blonde wig for his role in the film Crook.
    My favorite character is Kamal Hasan’s role in the film Chachi 420. I feel it was a great performance from the cine super star. The 1998 comedy film was directed by Kamal Hasan himself and was a remake of the Tamil film Avvai Shanmugi. Both the films were in turn inspired by the Hollywood hit Mrs Doubtfire.
    There are many male actor donning female attires whether it is for ads or films. Which of them do you like best?
    :cheers

1 person likes this.

2. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Yes, Sushma, Kamal Hassan was brilliant in Chachi 420! But, I think the greatest credit should go to Robin Williams for the original performance in the original movie Mrs Doubtfire! He was just awesome!!

Who can forget Ritesh Deshmukh’s performance in Apna Sapna Money Money? He was versatile and brilliant. The sexy buxom female that he played was the best of the lot!:thumbsup The woman makes Anupam Kher fall over “her”. He also gets in the avatar of a 70-year-old Nepali woman. The audience was almost rolling on the floor when this avatar appeared on screen!:rotfl I must appreciate his spirit and lack of inhibition.

1 person likes this.
  3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I liked Vikram dressed as a smart lady in Kandasamy,though it lasted only for a short while,(s)he looked gorgeous!

4. Isabel66

Isabel66 Junior IL'ite

Hi all,
    Screen veterans who have dared to cross dress include Big B Amitabh Bachchan in Laawaris, and Rishi Kapoor in Rafoo Chakkar. While Chachi 420 has already been mentioned, I cant help but think of every one’s favorite Govinda’s role in Aunty no 1.
    Among the Khan brigade, both Salman Khan in Hum Aapke Hain Kaun and Aamir Khan in Baazi have dared to don female attire.
    Well, I did like Riteish Deshmukh in Apna Sapna Money Money. Most viewers don’t realize that cross dressing (even if its only a film ) does take its toll on actors. In a recent interview Riteish Deshmukh said “The first walk from the van to the sets was the longest walk in my life.” :bowdown

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  5. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

I think, cross-dressing is becoming more and more inhibition-free. Both the audience and the actors have matured and it is not so much linked now to the delicate issues of femininity and masculinity.
    In the movie Jaane tu Ya Jaane Na, Imran Khan gracefully wore a saree for a song, albeit for a split second.
    Ranvir Shorey cycled around the streets in a petticoat, in the movie Ugly Aur Pagli, in order to please his girlfriend Mallika Sherawat.
    I read somewhere that Anupam Kher was willing to cross-dress for a parody music video. Isn’t that something?
    I think, Bollywood is shedding all prejudices of gender.

:bowdown

1 person likes this.
  6. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

I remember Bandit Queen Seema Biswas putting on the attire of a man. This cross-dressing intended to grab power and authority. On the other hand, when men cross-dress as women, they are risking their masculinity (something which does not mean so much today, but had a much greater connotation in the yesteryears).

I can never forget Arvind Swamy behind a “Burkha” in the film Bombay. He even sounded like a woman (he spoke just a word, if I remember correctly). That was cute! He did it so lovably!

The audiences have indeed changed and have become more sensible. Now, they take cross-dressing in the right spirit.

7. Cuteprincess

Cuteprincess Silver IL'ite

I like Kamal in Avvai Shanmugi..

1 person likes this.
  8. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

But there is no one to beat Amir Khan in those ads..... what a performance!