Making chapati's faster?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Rums, May 5, 2011.

1. blossom28

blossom28 New IL'ite

Hi Rums,

I too love chapathi and in the need to make it often for my DH's diet. I too felt bad in the lengthy making process initially but now it's very easier after I have started using electric roti maker. It will be hard if make roti in the maker but you can use for rolling purpose only which is very time consuming and paining. Tips- while making dough just mix oil and salt with flour and hot water as mentioned by chocolate below so that dough will be soft and easy to make softer roti.

Method : 1.Make dough balls.
    2. Press twice or thrice by reversing it in the electric roti maker. Initially if it sticks in it, sprinkle some flour or use a spoon of oil, later it wont stick since maker will become too hot. (You can make 10 to 15 in 5 mins aprox, dough shudnt be too sticky and too rough)
    3.Put it in your pan and make asusual you prepare rotis.
    For preparing lunch, make dough balls and keep in a plastic container and store it in fridge the earlier day night itslef. !!
    But, it will come out slightly thicker than hand rolled ones.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  2. Shrisha

Shrisha Bronze IL'ite

Hi rums, am usng Tortilla chapati maker and its the best in the market.i make 50 chapatis in just half an hour. Try that.

3. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone :))..Will see what brand of tortilla maker to buy..

4. deeba

deeba New IL'ite

to get someone who cooks chapatis on a proffessional basis

hi frendz,:cheers
    i m farah deeba,new in Abu dhabi, i m a dentist but struggling for a licence over here. i have severe neck pain so i m looking for someone who can make chapatis for us,me n my husband.can somebody plz give me contact no or address of any such person who do it on a proffessional basis .

5. nandugayu

nandugayu New IL'ite

Hi all,

I agree with all our ilites for sharing their ideas with this thread.This time when i came with my son to my mom's place.I went to my aunt's house.She told me how to make chapathi's that will bloat as shown in ad.I think this will work for all types of flour.

To the flour add salt,ghee ,milk,a spoon of curd. and knead it softly.This will make the dough softer and even by standing , we can roll chapathi's with little effort.

Please comment on this after everyone tries.:thumbsup

Nandini

Love all ,help all :)

6. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

oh I have tried that nandhu. With milk and no ghee..I used hot milk and it used to be so soft. Eventually i let it go since the hot milk takes sometime to cool down and I would like to finish the process before my shoulder hurts...Glad that you brought this...Thanks. Would be useful for everyone :)

7. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Shrisha, Can you tell me the brand?. Is it available in amazon?

Evryone - is there a way to make round chapati's ?. I have heard of using the lids for the shape. But when I roll the dough I need the cute round shape. It happens sometimes for me but mostly it's like a map ..LOL!!

8. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

This a trick my dad taught me.

Use a thinner rolling pin and move your arms in a circular manner. That way the roti comes all nice and round and the time factor gets reduces. When there's enough atta to prevent it from sticking to the countertop/whatever you use as a base, the roti itself rolls around :)

PS: I recently heard that you can add cottage cheese to make softer and healthier rotis.

Since I have less time, I typically make the rotis and keep them in the fridge pressed between paper towels in a ziploc bag. That way, they don't get spoiled. I make enough to last for 3 days!

9. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

That's a great idea Chinni...I make and store for atleast 2-3 days. Move your arms in a circular manner?. I am not getting a clear picture...

10. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Basically when you roll the pin, move the pin in a clockwise/anti-clockwise direction over the dough.