Making chapati's faster?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Rums, May 5, 2011.

1. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi Ils,
    I love chapati. The problem is very time-consuming for me. I make the dough and make atleast 10 chapatis. That way i can make side-dishes for the next day and keeping the same chapati. I love home made chapatis. The problem comes when I have shoulder or back pain after making chapati. I am pretty sure ILs have an easier way. Any ideas experts??....How do you make chapati?..

2. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

feedback Ils.So many view and no response ???

3. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rums,

Making chapatis at home becomes easy with practice. There is no short cut way to it. You can minimise your time in making them if you have ready dough in fridge. So i try to stock up my fridge with dough and then it is quick. The time taken on rolling the dough and cooking depends from person to person.

4. pihoousa

pihoousa Senior IL'ite

well chappati is made evryday in my house it is pain,,

just make dough put in ref stays well for week or so,,

if your back pains make less chapati or try indian store and buy roti maker/puri maker/tortilla maker
    i heard of them nvr tried,,,so you make round balls put in puri maker and press etc..

srry cant help much,,or buy chapati if someone nearby can make i think they charge 20c per,,
    or call someone to come once week make chapati,,

5. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks Pman and Pihoousa. It is a pain to make it everyday. I have trouble during the rolling and cooking part. I have been trying for a long time. It never gets faster. I read the forums abour roti maker and noone recommends it. I get some from Indian store but it is so dry. Tried the frozen ones but my husband hates it. I don't have anyone who makes rotis/chapatis nearby. I guess I will have to learn to make it faster.

6. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Why is it a pain for you? What kind of chakli and rolling pin are you using? Is the dough you knead too thin? Is your kitchen platform too high or low for your height giving you backache as you make the chapatis? Do you generally have backache when standing for long periods of time or is it only during cooking?

1 person likes this.
  7. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

As others mentioned, roti making becomes easier by practise. Being a south indian, I wasn't used to making rotis on a daily basis. It was tough initially, but now I make it much faster. If dough making is the hard part, try using a food processor. Sometimes, keeping dough in fridge makes it hard, if so heat it in microwave for 10 sec just before pressing rotis. Dough becomes softer then. Pressing should be easier with soft knead dough. While cooking, do it on the flame and rotis are ready quickly.

1 person likes this.
  8. ish333

ish333 Senior IL'ite

Try using food processor for kneading the dough. It does the job in a jiffy. If the kneading process is made that way,then you just have to roll it, which is not hard.

9. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Rums, There is an easy way to make chapathis.Take the amount of wheat flour you need in a wide bowl.You need to make sure atta is of good quality. I use Swad Flour. The worst is Golden Temple flour. Coming back to how to make chapathis,boil water in microwave until its very hot. Add salt to wheat flour according to taste.Mix it and add around 2-4 tablespoons of oil.Again mix it and keep adding hot water little by little and mixing at the same time.When it all comes together just gather and make it into one lump. With good flour it shudnt take long. You dont need to knead at all if its Swad Flour. I have been using it from past 2 yrs.

Coming to rolling chapathis ,see if your rolling pin is of considerable thickness in b/n . Not the thin ones you get. Thicker ones require less effort while rolling chapathis.Now take a small ball of mixed flour ,almost a golf size. press it and add plenty of loose flour. Do it now instead of later becoz later makes the chapathis very dry. Then put the small ball of flour on the chapathi board. Then put the rolling pin on that and move it back and forth gently. Keep in mind that you dont do it rigourously. It takes practice ,but once you perfect it , you can do it in sleep.This will not give you backache or pain ur hands.Try it.Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

I agree with chocolate. I read somewhere that hot water really works. I tried it yestaerday and added a little oil. I did 2 minutes of kneading and it was great. I didn't have that much pain at all. Oil +hot water really worked for me. Thank you chocolate for your detailed explanation...I actually I did the exact way. Will follow what u said for rolling pin too.

Dhaanika - I have pain only during cooking and after that?. I use stainless steel one ..a medium one..

ish333 and writeme-
    tried the food proceesor...the cleaning part is very tough...

how does anyone make roti?.

2 people like this.