1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Maintanance of kitchen gadgets

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, May 26, 2007.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Hi shelly,
    Yes, it takes just a few minutes to clean the gadgets as soon as our work is over. In stead of waiting for the maid, we can do it ourselves.
    Thanks for your comments,
    Love,
    PS

1 person likes this.
  3. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

In US, we do all the cleaning as no maids on a daily basis to help out with. A blessing for gadgets.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa Ma'am
    A very nice thread. Thanks to knbg for unearthing it.
    I agree that gadgets have to be cleaned immediately for long lasting performance.
    I lived and worked in India for many years and I too never had a maid to help. Oh I had employed one but she would come once a week or whenever it took her fancy. After finding that I was doing most of the work I stopped her.
    I actually felt liberated because I found my vessels getting shinier, the floors cleaner, and my white clothes whiter because I took more care in my stuff while getting good exercise and saving money.
    Of course in the US we do everything ourselves, but I like it .

Keeping small pieces of wet rags the size of handkerchiefs helps a lot. Old lungis, dhotis, petticoats, torn 2x2 blouses, towels - all can be cut into small pieces and stored.
    Wipe down all the gadgets as and when you use them and depending on how soiled the rags are, throw them away or bury them in the yard/garden to decompose.
    These wipe downs take less than 2-3 minutes but the cleanliness and the peace of mind it brings lasts a long time.

1 person likes this.
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Living in US is a blessing in disguise as you could not engage a maid on a daily basis. Your gadgets are saved as well as some dollars are saved and you feel elated that you are doing everything on your own.
    Love,
    PS

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Krish,
    Even at this old age I do everything without the help of a maid.

=kkrish;2349530]Dear Pushpa Ma'am
    A very nice thread. Thanks to knbg for unearthing it.
    I agree that gadgets have to be cleaned immediately for long lasting performance.
    I lived and worked in India for many years and I too never had a maid to help. Oh I had employed one but she would come once a week or whenever it took her fancy. After finding that I was doing most of the work I stopped her.
    I actually felt liberated because I found my vessels getting shinier, the floors cleaner, and my white clothes whiter because I took more care in my stuff while getting good exercise and saving money.
    Of course in the US we do everything ourselves, but I like it .

[/QUOTE]

I too have the same feeling. Thanks for your fb,
    Love,
    PS

7. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Nice post! Well said dear Sister Pushpavalli!
    Regular maintenance of gadgets keeps the gadgets in good condition and we should maintain gadgets by ourself, should not give this work to servant maids.. by doing this, definately it will come for years without any problem.My Mom even at the age of 85 she is doing all her house hold work by her own, no servant maids,and she bought the wet grinder in 1990,and still it is in a working condition. so as you said we have to maintain our kitchen gadgets by ourselves.

Thanks for sharing with us dear Sister Pushpavalli.

1 person likes this.
  8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Suryakala,
    We older generation people have the mentality that any thing we purchase for our use should last till our life time, whether it is a clock, watch, radio, TV or any cooking appliances and we used to maintain them very carefully. But now the trend is changed and people throw away or exchange things whenever a new model comes to the market. Though money value has decreased, peoples purchasing power has increased.
    I purchased my grinder in 1981 and was using it till 2004. But my son brought a tabletop grinder and said that at my age I should not bend and should not lift the heavy kuzavi and so I gave my grinder to our driver and he said that it is still in good condition.
    Though I am not as old as your mother, I have just crossed my mid seventies and I do not have a servant. I do not buy sambar powder or any masala powders and I prepare at home once in a month at home.
    I thank you for your appreciation and also sharing about your mother.
    Love,
    PS

3 people like this.
  9. krvchitra

krvchitra Bronze IL'ite

good advice to keep the gadgets work for a longer time & my laziness to be kept at bay.
    thanx

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Chitra,
    Thanks for taking my advice and wishing your gadgets a long life!
    Love,
    PS