1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Maintaining Friendships

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by hridhaya, Jan 17, 2014.

1. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Recently I met a mom of my DD's school friend and we instantly became good friends.
    I like this person a lot, she seems nice, knowledgeable and talented in various things.
    We want to meet more often, plan activities for kids and spend time together.

I have a slight fear that as we spend more time together, I(or we) may share personal matters,own limitations or other insecurities in life. I am worried it may lead us to being judgemental of each other. Can people be close friends without getting into each other's personal space?

As my DD and her school friend are good friends, I don't want any difference of opinion between me and this person affect the children.

I am trying to be proactive and avoid any situation that can damage the friendship. Any thoughts?

2 people like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hridhaya,

Nice member name and nice signature. You are very wise to be proactive in this matter.

As a rule of thumb, I would suggest:
    - Do not talk about any thing going on between you and husband
    - Talk about kids, but take it slow. Perhaps you both will go on to be a good source of help/support to each other, but let that happen with time.
    - Do not overdo the meetings. Aim for a healthy medium.
    - Try to have more meetings where one of you supervises both kids, rather than each meeting meaning both kids and both moms are present.
    - Encourage your child to have other friends too.
    - Do not talk about the children and school matters in front of them.
    - Keep the phone calls frequency and length to a nice medium level.
    - Don't turn it into a family friendship (husbands)
    - Once in a while meet without the kids, outside (not at homes)
    - Do not exchange info about kids' grades and performance till you are closer to her
    - Do not compare the kids. Don't tell one, "See, how well she is reading, drawing.."
    - Be prepared for times when the other kid will outshine your kid and jealousy will rear its head and saner sense will immediately prevail too.

Give it at least 6 months before you take it to the next level. And, as it often happens with girls, as they grow older, they tend to make new friends. So, be prepared for the possibility that the kids will grow apart but you moms remain friends.

6 people like this.
  3. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

absolutely.

close friendships also need time, nurturing to develop trust and acceptance. i have friends that are very different but our core values happen to be aligned. one of the biggest indicators (for me) is how the person talks about others, common friends or acquaintances in the group. those that blab confidential matters i immediately put in the unfriend list! good for casual talk nothing more. another is trying to dig past stuff, use it to prove points and such behavior.

take your time before considering a new acquaintance to be a friend.

4 people like this.
  4. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

It was a good reply, Rihana.Thanks. Could relate to all the points you mentioned. Had burnt a bridge in the past when I handled the situation emotionally. Hence I want to avoid possibilities that I may do / say something regretful.

5. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

CW,
    I am completely excited when I see this person and not in control of what I am saying or thinking. So I am wondering if I would put her off unintentionally anytime.

Thanks for the reply. Good 'not to do' pointers.

1 person likes this.