1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Main Akela hi chala tha janibe manzil magar..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Ria2006, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Main Akela hi chala tha janibe manzil magar..
    Log Milte gaye khafila banta gaya!

These are one of my favorite lines in urdu. It means to say .. I started alone this whole business of life, I kept on meeting people on the way and today you see this huge crowd of friends and family..

I was off to India in last four weeks.
    Now this is what I felt when I saw my brother's daughter for first time. I didnot feel it for me. I felt it for my grandpa. My daddy says, he started everything from scratch after partition of India. They came from Lahore area of Punjab. It s heart wrenching to know they had to spend weeks hidden in ditch to safegaurd their lives. I have never seen my grandfather. But whatever I know about him, is whatever I heart from Ma and daddy. Its one of fondest personality I would have loved to meet. My dad says Grandpa would have been full of proud to know his grandkids have done so well in their lives. I wish he could see for himself..

I could visualise him standing in Varandah and affectionately looking my neice and smiling. I have this weired closeness to spirits at times. I mean sometime I can feel them. I know it sounds weired.

Then my maternal grandmother's death also made me visualise her whole life story. I could imagine her playing in a dusty village and then getting married to Nanaji at naiive age of 13 years. Now if you see their house , it has more than 50 people. It gives me goosebumps to imagine how much hardwork both of them had to do to establish this whole set up. Get all the eight kids married and help them maintain their marital lives. Now if you see in that house. Both the main ownes have ceased to exist, but where you see you find their indelible marks of presence.

It gives me a pointer to think that one day I will also leave a legacy where there wouldnot be any visible trace of me but all corners will have my stamp written on it. Amazing right!! we live as if we will never die.. and we die as if we never lived!!

2. Ranganayaki

Ranganayaki New IL'ite

I feel our elders are just a thought away and continue to live in our hearts.My best day has been when I saw my grandpa in my dream...I never got a chance to see him in person.

I hope we do leave that kind of mark for our generations to come!

3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Ranganayaki

Thanks for reading the post. Its a pleasure to have you here and nice to know your experience.
    I think we all get good amount of time to leave our mark . Adn with our Indian values we do add our mark on our kids' life if not at society.
    Ria

4. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Ria,

Thats a splendid comeback I must day .Welcome back with a bang.
    Yes its a proud moment for the parents and grandparents to witness their children and the grandkids achieve success in life. Sometimes they have their own unfinished desires and they look at their kids achievements as their own and why not after all its the fruit of their toil. All the parents do anticipate some thing wonderful to happen to their children.
    I absolutely loved your last sentences. Yes we definitely need to leave our stamp for our children to be proud of rather than just be a name and a jaded photograph and get wiped by the sands of time!
    Love,
    Devika

5. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Hello Devika,

Thanks for reading the post. Its wonderful to have you here. I liked your daughter's picture a lot. She looks like a bright and sweet gal.

Ria

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ria
    A nice write up.............
    I too visualise my grandfather everytime. Whenever i feel I want blessings from elders I always feel that he has come down to bless me. At times of problems I dream of him and speak to him and get my problems solved. I too feel weird sometimes about it............is it something stupid??? but when I read something like yours then feel I am not the only one with such weird thing going on............

7. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Hey Aruna,

Thats very sweet of you to pen down your experience too. Yes at times, its hard to explain to others but we can feel it right inside us.

Ria

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Very nicely worded and very well said.. actually I have not thought much in that angle but this is thought provoking article..keep blogin:)

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hey ria,

that was very thought provoking....i loved your last lines..we live as if we will never die and die as if we never lived...how very true

Mindi

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Riya,

Remember the song:

Ek Din Bik Jayega, Maati Ke Mol
    Jag Mein Reh Jayenge Pyare Tere Bol
    Dooje Ke Hothon Ko Dekar Apne Geet
    Koi Nishani Chhod, Phir Duniya Se Bol

I am sure, even after my death, I will have people who know me will keep blogging about me forever. I am confident about the impact I leave on my encounters. Humne hame ma baap ka naam kabhi ka roshan kar diya, kyon ki humare mummy ko log Mals ke Amma ke naam se pehchanthe the. Aur Humari Ammi is baath se bahut khus thi. Woh din that jab muzhje."ammi ke beti" keh kar pukarthe the. We have to live a mark in the society.