1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Maids/Baby sitter for kids!-What is the Right Age

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by ManuSethi, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ManuSethi

ManuSethi Senior IL'ite

Hey,

My kid is 3 years and I was planning to resume my job but the very thought of leaving my kid alone with the maid or any baby sitter makes me rethink over my decision.

Now a days we hear so many stories related to kidnapping, drug abuse in kids etc etc....I am really not able to put myself firm on this decision.

Last week, heard about a case in which the maid fed Afeem drug to a child so that he/she is sleeping throughout the day.

I am just confused...Please help!

2. MansiS

MansiS Bronze IL'ite

Hey,

I know and can very well understand your confusion, I too took leave from work for my kid and am planning to take leave till she is around 5-6 years,its not that there will be complete safety once she is older but that my MiL and Mom will get retired after 3 years or so and they can shift with us....

You can not trust maids in today's world....the only thing you can do is to ensure you have a family member with the maid in the house and the kid is not alone...

If you are too much into starting your career life again, i will suggest you can put your kid in the daycare instead of leaving him/her alone with the maid or a baby sitter.

3. ohara

ohara Gold IL'ite

ManuSethi, it is a difficult decision to make. In case you want to resume work, you can hire a babysitter or put the kid in a day care.

I am a mother of a 14 month old baby. Though hard, it was my personal choice to continue working so we hired a nanny to take care of him. The nanny has been working for us for the past 6 months. So, i can give you some pointers:
    If you hire a babysitter, do a background check on her. Our nanny came through a fairly reliable source. Ask for an address proof document and keep a copy with you. Ask her a lot of questions about her family and previous employers. Also, make sure she has had some experience in raising a child.
    I too have heard about a lot of incidents on the wrongdoings of baby sitters and we can never be careless about this information. So, try to have somebody maybe a relative or neighbor check on the kid a few times a day.
    Inspite of all precautions, i still tend to be suspicious about the nanny and I keep checking on her.

If you do not want to trust your lil one with anybody, then put her/him in daycare. It is practically a safer environment.