1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mahatma-vin Manaivi Ezhupum Kelvigal

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Orange, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Orange

Orange New IL'ite

I am searching for a (tamil) book. "Mahatma-vin Manaivi Ellupum Kelvigal", The book is abt Smt. Kasturiba Gandhi, Gandhiji's Wife.

We all know abt Gandhiji very well, but there is a person who stood behind him in all his efforts. Many would not know abt the pain and sacrifice of his wife Smt. Kasturiba Gandhi. There are so many unknow facts available abt Gandhiji.

I don't know the publishers name. Can any one say where can i get this book in chennai ?

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hope this helps :)

KASTURBA — Mahatmavin Manaivi Ezuppum Kelvigal: Mythili Sivaraman; Bharathi Puthakalayam, 421, Anna Salai, Teynampet, Chennai-600018. Rs. 20.
    BOOKS ON Mahatma Gandhi are endless, but, those on his life partner Kasturba very few. Writers on Gandhiji scarcely project Kasturba’s role in the making of the Mahatma or in the freedom struggle. Gandhiji himself has very little to say about his wife in his autobiography.
    In this slender book, the author has briefly but poignantly projected the predicaments of an orthodox Kasturba caught in the crossroads of social, political and spiritual maelstrom of the great soul her husband was.
    Readers are reminded of not much known role of Ba in the Satyagraha movement in South Africa and later in India. In September 1913, she led a 16-member group of men and women passive resisters marching from Durban to cross the Transvaal border and court arrest. Kasturba was sentenced to three months jail with hard labour.
    In India, she was imprisoned twice. In 1942, following mass arrests and detention of Congress leaders including Gandhiji sequel to the passing of ‘Quit India’ resolution on 8th August, Kasturba was also arrested on her way to address a meeting in Bombay in which Gandhiji was scheduled to speak.
    She was detained in the desolate Aga Khan palace near Poona along with Gandhiji. There, she passed away on February 22, 1944.
    The author faults Gandhiji for his uncharitable remarks about his wife freely aired in his letters to close associates. But to whom poor Kasturba could have spoken about her husband, that too a Mahatma? She can only bury her views in her mind,” comments the author, who is a noted spokesperson for women’s cause.
    The book in 64 pages pertinently raises such unanswered questions on behalf of Ba.
    Missing in this book is a glaring instance of Gandhiji’s insolence when in 1929 he blew out of proportion a minor human failing on the part of Kasturba.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Interesting AC, it is indeed wife"s role is pivotal in a man's success which proves there is a woman behind every man..
    Behind their feelings, they are not allowed to show out and how did they endure all these things is a lesson to us on the area of patience and endurability...

Sorry I am deviating from the lead topic, but thought of giving my My 2cents

sriniketan

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi
    Your statement is worth its weight in gold - not just 1cent. very well said :)

5. Orange

Orange New IL'ite

Dear friend,

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE DETAILS. I'll see for the avilability.

I think, Mahatma was more blissed to have Kasturiba in his life. But, unfortunately she was'nt.

Who knows, many of our nations freedom fighters' "better halfs" would have faced the similar dark life. (Including Barathis' Chellama)

THANKS & REGARDS.