Maharashtrian Dishes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Vandhana, May 3, 2006.

1. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Pitlae!!

Dear Vandana,

Despite the fact that I made zunka just a couple of days ago, I was still tempted to make pitlae, and as expected, it was yumm!
    Though it was quite similar to zunka(They both are each other's take-off!), I did not add tomato to zunka and kept it a longer while than pitlae, so this sure was different in that sense:)

Mom used to make this and would call it 'kadalamaa chutney'!! Thanks for the lovely recipe Vandana:)

Love
    Shal

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Shal,

Zunka is the drier cousin of Pithale. All these dishes i learnt from my Marathi friend's mom. So they are quite authentic. I will post the Zunka recipe soon and also this sabji made with mirchi ( which is out of this world). Do you like Phodnicha poli too?

Oh is Tomato Omelet a typical Mumbai fare? I thought it must be. I had it for the first time in Mumbai. have not come across it anywhere else. I have the recipe and can post that too.

Vandhana

3. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Keep them coming!!

Its a great thinking to start this thread. Hoping to see more and more recipes from Maharashtra. Whenever i visited my aunt in pune, i would enjoy the chivda very much. It had that typical Kattha meetha taste. Do anyone of u know the recipe for the same? Take ur time. No hurry. Pithlae is one more reminder for me as my mother used make it many times.
    Great going Vandana and buds!!

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Just for your information, friends !

I am planning to post Gujarathi Chiwda tomorrow. I have already drafted & is now ready with photo to be posted. So, after seeing that, kindly post a different version, so that there will be variety !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Bhakri

A little tricky in the begining but worth the effort.

Ingredients:
    2 cups bajri, jowar or maize flour
    salt to taste
    water to knead( Slightly warm)

Method:
    Add salt to flour.
    Add water little by little, kneading dough very well.
    It should become soft, pliable and smooth.
    Kneading well is very important so the bhakri doesn't break.
    (Bhakri is generally made/rolled with the hand. However, you can make it on thick plastic sheet. The bhakri is always presed into a circle with your hand. no rolling pin used. if it is a little our of shape it is okay. It is supposed to be a rustic bread!)
    Take a lemon size piece of the dough , dust the plastic sheet generously with dry flour, pat the dough with your palm to flatten it. As you flatten it, rotate your palm so the bhakris will come out ina circle and also spread out evenly. Make it as thin as you can , you should be able to lift it without it breaking.
    Sprinkel a little water on a warm tawa. Cook about a minute or so, till you can lift it without any problem. Flip the bhakri and roast the toher side. Then put it on a phulka girdle and directly roast it on the flame till you get tiny brown spots and the bhakri willpuff up.
    Top with ghee (optional) if desired.
    Serve hot with hot pithala, pickles, curds and raw chopped onions.

1 person likes this.
  6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

CapsicumBesan Subji.

This is a great side dish for rotis. I don't recall the exact marathi name for this. It is very easy to make.

Ingredients:
    4 medium sized green bell peppers / capsicums, (or take 2 bigger ones)
    3/4 cupBesan

2 tsp chili powder, ( ! tsp hot chillipowder)
    1 tsp turmeric powder,
    salt,
    sugar (optional) to taste,
    cilantro/coriander leaves.
    1/2 tsp asafoetida,
    2 tsp mustard seeds,
    2 tbsp oil,

Wash the peppers. Pat dry with a kitchen towel. Chop into 1/2 inch pieces. In a bowl, combine gram flour, chili powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric, salt and sugar. Do not add water.
    Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and the remaining turmeric powder.
    Add peppers and fry till peppers are half tender.
    Add gram flour and mix well until all the pieces are well coated with the flour. Fry for sometime over medium heat.
    Keep tossing the bhaaji until crisp and golden. Do not add water at any stage since this is a dry curry.
    Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati.

Variations:
    You can use other Hot peppers. Then cut the chillipowder by half or even less.

1 person likes this.
  7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

hi there
    I wanted to see if any of you can help me. One of my friend this Mathri from Pune & it was super yummmmmmmm :tongue & I think its Maharashtrian. There is a filling of some spicy mixture in this Mathri like you take 2 sheets of Mathre dough put this spicy mixture on one & then top with other sheet & pres & then just cut squares & fry. I want to know how to make this spicy mixture which is little spicy & sweet .
    TIA

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Bhakarwadi

Hi Anmohai,

I think the dish you are talking about is called Bhakarwadi. You can search the web for the recipe. I am on vacation now and give you the recipe once i get back home.

Vandhana

9. Aarti

Aarti New IL'ite

thank u

Hi Vandana,

u have some wonderful recipes. i m a marathi person. but has never tried "kothimbir vadi". now i wl for sure. if u have some more of these wonderful recipes, plz let all of us know.

Aarti

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Vandhana

I notice often that you come up with some great recipes. I have tried yr sarson ka saag with yummy results. Why don't you post more recipes regardless of region? Pls take your time to do so.

affly
    Vidya